GM Duramax 2020-2021 oil filter vs. 2001-2019 oil filter

Actually it depends on the inside diameter of the 22mm versus 13/16" filter mounting pipe. Assuming the wall thickness is about the same the 22mm is going to give more flow at the same pressure.
But the flow in an engine is determined by the PD oil pump output volume as a function of engine RPM. So the same flow volume in a larger gallery means less oil pressure.

I did some searching and found that the L5P oil pump is rated for 21 gallons per minutes, but doesn't say at what RPM, however I would assume that's high speed near redline. At 1,600 RPMs the flow would around 10 GPM, since it's a positive displacement pump - my guess, but it's probably a reasonably accurate assumption. 10 GPM seems like a lot of flow for this little PF26 filter, but I have no data to back that up.
If it was 10 GPM at 1600 RPM then it would be at 20 GPM at 3200 RPM assuming 100% pump efficiency. I highly doubt it puts out 20 GPM at 3200 RPM.

If you want a filter that flows well, you need to go with a full synthetic media.

I'm going to look for a longer filter with M22-1.5 threads, possibly a Baldwin B40150.
I've also been looking at this Baldwin filter for my 2021 GMC 3500 HD. The choices seem to be fairly limited currently for alternative filters. When I last checked a couple months ago, Fram was not making an Ultra for this engine.

Fram was not making an Ultra for this engine.
The Fram product lookup doesn't list the XG2, but if you look at the scrolling window of the vehicles that use the XG2, the Duramax is indirectly listed as the 4500, 5500, and 6500 HDs. The threads are correct 22mmx1.5mm. I have one waiting to go onto my Duramax the next filter change.

The Fram product lookup doesn't list the XG2, but if you look at the scrolling window of the vehicles that use the XG2, the Duramax is indirectly listed as the 4500, 5500, and 6500 HDs. The threads are correct 22mmx1.5mm. I have one waiting to go onto my Duramax the next filter change.

Good news is there seems to be a fair amount of wire backed XG2s available, since they’re less popular/older than a lot of filters (XG7317, 10060, 10575, etc.) and other than a thin can & occasional weak leaf springs, are a solid, good flowing full synthetic design. Hard to believe GM is putting a cellulose filter that small on a Duramax!

An update on why the 2020+ Duramax engine oil filters are smaller. The 2020+ Duramax has a higher capacity oil cooler which is physically larger in size. The space the oil filter occupies between the cooler and the frame is smaller, hence the reason for the smaller filter. The bottom line is this was a trade off. I think it's rational to surmise the 2002-2019 Duramax filter was properly sized by the engineers who designed the engine. The engineers likely wish the 2020+ Duramax could use the same filter as the 2002-2019, but there isn't as much physical room, so a compromise was made. You want a larger cooler, then you get a smaller filter.

An update on why the 2020+ Duramax engine oil filters are smaller. The 2020+ Duramax has a higher capacity oil cooler which is physically larger in size. The space the oil filter occupies between the cooler and the frame is smaller, hence the reason for the smaller filter. The bottom line is this was a trade off. I think it's rational to surmise the 2002-2019 Duramax filter was properly sized by the engineers who designed the engine. The engineers likely wish the 2020+ Duramax could use the same filter as the 2002-2019, but there isn't as much physical room, so a compromise was made. You want a larger cooler, then you get a smaller filter.
Tough decision there…. Better oil temperatures or longer OCIs. I guess the one benefit of the decision is you can change your oil, trying to cool oil off while using your truck is way harder.

Just my $0.02

Good info, Wayne.
Can you post some comparitive pics when installed?

Back