2021 Chevy Duramax fuel filter in use for 18,000 miles

wwillson

Staff member
This is my previous fuel filter: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...x-fuel-filter-in-use-for-13-000-miles.354368/

This filter was in use for 18,000 miles of which most were pulling. The DIC said the filter should be changed at about 15,000 miles, but that didn't work into my use at the time, so it got changed a bit late. From the looks of the filter, it could have gone much longer. I cut this one apart and took pictures of the internals. The main paper element is backed by another filter element and a last resort screen. The filter is well made and needs to be to keep dirt out of the common-rail fuel system.

New and used side by side
IMG_3311.JPG

Dirty side of main element
IMG_3313.JPG

Clean side of main element
IMG_3316.JPG

Secondary element
IMG_3318.JPG

Secondary element and the last resort screen. Notice the large piece of fiber on the screen?
IMG_3321.JPG

Wilson... I've ran as much as 27000 miles on my Ram on the fuel filters, but on my Alaska trip I actually had to replace my fuel filters before I got to the standard replacement interval of 15k ,( it was starting to lose power on some climbs, and the CEL finally came on, and I had a code for Rail Pressure not matching Commanded Rail Pressure) which I attribute to the fact I was having to buy fuel from some really sketchy stations in British Columbia or Yukon Territory on the Alcan.. IMHO the fuelfilter change interval is just a recommendation from the OEM, but since there isn't a practical way of measuring restriction do it any way you need.

This filter had 27k on it,(fleetguard FS53000) I dont know if GM uses a dual filtration like Ram Cummins have... but this one to be in similar condition to to what you posted..
1 filter.JPG

Wilson... I've ran as much as 27000 miles on my Ram on the fuel filters, but on my Alaska trip I actually had to replace my fuel filters before I got to the standard replacement interval of 15k ,( it was starting to lose power on some climbs, and the CEL finally came on, and I had a code for Rail Pressure not matching Commanded Rail Pressure) which I attribute to the fact I was having to buy fuel from some really sketchy stations in British Columbia or Yukon Territory on the Alcan.. IMHO the fuelfilter change interval is just a recommendation from the OEM, but since there isn't a practical way of measuring restriction do it any way you need.

This filter had 27k on it,(fleetguard FS53000) I dont know if GM uses a dual filtration like Ram Cummins have... but this one to be in similar condition to to what you posted.. View attachment 179518
This filter doesn't 'look' plugged, but it had reduced flow, enough to force you to change it. As you stated, the tipping point is not clear, so it's best to change them on a mileage point.

This filter doesn't 'look' plugged, but it had reduced flow, enough to force you to change it. As you stated, the tipping point is not clear, so it's best to change them on a mileage point.
actually, there were no performance problems with the photo filter. what I had done was drained the filter housing and inspected the filter at one year interval, one and a half year interval and at the 2nd year interval, then I gave up saying to myself, what is the point? so I changed it at 27k miles... on my Alaska trip I ran into a plugged fuel filter far before the recommended change interval... so I replaced the filters at a campground in Fort Nelson BC...

This filter had 27k on it,(fleetguard FS53000) I dont know if GM uses a dual filtration like Ram Cummins have... but this one to be in similar condition to to what you posted.. View attachment 179518
We make these right here in Tennessee...neat little filters that are packed with serious media technology.

yeah, the FS 53000 is a really nice fuel filter... 5 micron outer and a 3 micron inner with the water stripping capability..
I might cheap out on oil filters but I stick with the FS 53000 for my fuel..
The more I learn about this stuff, the less concerned I am with oil/lube filtration...the choice of lubricant used is way more important than the filter from what I see. Fuel filtration on the other hand is a different discussion.

The more I learn about this stuff, the less concerned I am with oil/lube filtration...the choice of lubricant used is way more important than the filter from what I see. Fuel filtration on the other hand is a different discussion.
in my experience if the oil meets spec and is of the correct viscosity, it just doesn't make a difference. not a measurable one anyway.
same applies to oil filters.. but people like treating their personal vehicles good, so they tend to go the " if it costs more it must be better" route.

Back