2021 Chevy Duramax fuel filter in use for 13,000 miles

wwillson

Staff member
This is the original fuel filter run since the truck was new and changed at 13,000 miles. The black crud on the fuel filter is usual with this duration of miles and fuel burned. I estimate 1000 gallons of fuel has been run through this filter.

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

Is there a secondary media behind this one?
Yes, a very fine screen on both sides of secondary media. They are serious about filtering the fuel and making sure that no filter media can make it to the fuel pump or injectors should it break loose.

I will add that the outside filter media is so thick that you can't cut it with a sharp utility knife. A hack saw is the only way to cut the ends off.

Your primary is much cleaner than mine at 15k miles. I must be buying some dirty fuel at the truck stops on the interstate.

See how black my filter is:

I remembered our conversation about how your fuel filter was dirty looking & stumbled upon the link below talking about why a fuel filter looks sooty. Essentially, from Aspaltenes & it sounds like heat is what causes it to happen.

I remembered our conversation about how your fuel filter was dirty looking & stumbled upon the link below talking about why a fuel filter looks sooty. Essentially, from Aspaltenes & it sounds like heat is what causes it to happen.
Yes, I believe heat is mostly the source of aspaltenes. I run Howes or Power Service all the time and it makes a difference. I'll post a picture of the latest fuel filter soon.

@wwillson
How many fuel filters does your DMax have? I invested in an additional system to help prevent fuel issues. I’m not a huge fan of additives or treatments except for winter gelling. My Ram Cummins has 3 filters, the OEM under hood one and 2 under the bed. I run a 20 micron fuel water separator, a 3 micron fuel filter and the OEM fuel water separator under the hood. The kit was bought from throttle up industries. I run nothing but Fleetguard filters on my fuel system.

Just my $0.02

I have the factory plastic plug and never take it out, as I see no reason to.
When it breaks get a brass one. It is a bleeder for priming. instead of filling the filter. The plastic ones get stuck and when you do need to use it, they have been known to break. Happened to me. Was a big deal as no one local had one in stock, had to go to stealership.

When it breaks get a brass one. It is a bleeder for priming. instead of filling the filter. The plastic ones get stuck and when you do need to use it, they have been known to break. Happened to me. Was a big deal as no one local had one in stock, had to go to stealership.
I don't manually prime the fuel filter. Since GM put the lift pump in beginning with the L5P in 2017, all you do is turn the ignition switch to accessory and listen for the lift pump to stop running. Then start it up and your done.

i stopped the diesel thing for me after my 2013. it had the priming bulb. Thanks for the info and update. I used a napa filter kit my first change, and then went ac delco all the way. My local napa quit carrying anything but acdelco dmax fuel filter long ago.

In any other 'application' a filter that clean would have people shouting, "Double the interval".
I suppose one bad load of fuel can whack one of those filters.
Changing is just "aggressive preventative maintenance" in a diesel.

In any other 'application' a filter that clean would have people shouting, "Double the interval".
I suppose one bad load of fuel can whack one of those filters.
Changing is just "aggressive preventative maintenance" in a diesel.
The problem with extending the fuel filter change interval is low fuel flow when the filter starts to become plugged. You do not want this to happen, because you're pretty much parked until you can get a new fuel filter.

Back