Ford/Motorcraft 6.0L Powerstroke FD-4616 Fuel Filter 15,689 Miles

Removed from my 2007 Ford F-350 today. These combo filters were run 15,689 Miles & 342.4 Hours.

There was some rusty crusty stuff behind the water filter screen which is somewhat surprising considering how chunky some of the particles were. Primary is a 10 micron & Secondary filter is 4 micron rated.

IMG_20230425_130503.jpgIMG_20230425_130522.jpgIMG_20230425_130453.jpgIMG_20230425_130643.jpgIMG_20230425_130815.jpgIMG_20230425_153312.jpgIMG_20230425_153254.jpg

Your primary is much cleaner than mine at 15k miles. I must be buying some dirty fuel at the truck stops on the interstate.

See how black my filter is:

Your primary is much cleaner than mine at 15k miles. I must be buying some dirty fuel at the truck stops on the interstate.

See how black my filter is:

That is interesting! That is certainly black. My primary always comes out a nice brown color as shown & secondary never shows any particles so the primary catches most of it. I did at least a few truck stops since I have the Open Roads fuel card while we traveled to TX for the winter & back to MO.

I put 4500 miles of this run on fuel stations driving to & inside TX while the rest are within about a 50 mile range of where I live in MO. I certainly don't go to just one station & often search for the cheapest stations w/Gas Buddy too. Since there is no Top Tier Diesel that is widely available it's no special clean fuel. Usually #2 Diesel.

Do you have just 1 fuel filter for your truck or is it 2? Does illinois have biofuel as standard 5-20%? We have bio fuel & the stations must state so if they are using 6% or more biofuel but it's not the norm most of the time. However, I'm pretty sure most stations use up to 5% bio-fuel here in #2 at most of the stations I fuel up.

If you have 1 fuel filter, perhaps, it's trapping more particles or lower micron rating & turning it darker as a result of that?

It's my daily but I can only use one tank of fuel in one month sometimes but usually go through a couple tank fulls in a month. You may already know that diesel fuel grows a mold type residue but with your truck your putting on more miles than I am in the same time frame so that can't be the issue.

The Duramax has one filter.
I don't buy diesel in IL, so I'm not sure. Most midwestern states do have bio-diesel where we fill, so we run it most of the time.

Then It may have a finer micron rating & is catching more debris. Your truck is probably B20 so you are good for basically any stations. lol Since my truck is prehistoric, that is one thing I'm careful about since my truck is only rated for 5% bio-fuel. Although I've ran B20 very rarely.

@fantastic I don’t think your filters look that bad for 15k miles IMO.

I’ve seen worse off my Ram Cummins with 3 filters.

Just my $0.02
That's good to know. Weird how it's all slightly different from what I'm seeing. I didn't know Cummins put 3 on them.

EDIT: I did think about it some more. I do drain the water separator about every 7500 miles. So once per filter change interval.

Removed from my 2007 Ford F-350 today. These combo filters were run 15,689 Miles & 342.4 Hours.

There was some rusty crusty stuff behind the water filter screen which is somewhat surprising considering how chunky some of the particles were. Primary is a 10 micron & Secondary filter is 4 micron rated.

View attachment 152572View attachment 152573View attachment 152574View attachment 152575View attachment 152576View attachment 152577View attachment 152578
@fantastic and WWilson: I am guessing large filter is primary correct?

Pardon my ignorance

That's good to know. Weird how it's all slightly different from what I'm seeing. I didn't know Cummins put 3 on them.

EDIT: I did think about it some more. I do drain the water separator about every 7500 miles. So once per filter change interval.
I added an aftermarket kit to my2012 Ram. It added 2 filters under the cab, a water separator and standard fuel filter. It is made by Throttle up Industries. The OEM one is under the hood.

Just my $0.02

I added an aftermarket kit to my2012 Ram. It added 2 filters under the cab, a water separator and standard fuel filter. It is made by Throttle up Industries. The OEM one is under the hood.

Just my $0.02
Ah, I see. I looked up one of their sites & saw they went from using a cat filter to fleetguard for better filtration. Why did you decide to install this kit? Just didn't like what you were seeing at the primary filter & wanted extra layer of pre-filtering?

Those are some darn clean filters. Where do you buy your diesel. I've never changed a diesel filter that clean.

I explain that in Post #3

Basically, I'm not doing anything special or going to any single fuel station. I do know MO is one of the highest traveling states. Meaning we put on a lot of miles as drivers in MO in any single year. Maybe the fuel stations don't have time to grow the mold type stuff associated with Diesel fuel?

Ah, I see. I looked up one of their sites & saw they went from using a cat filter to fleetguard for better filtration. Why did you decide to install this kit? Just didn't like what you were seeing at the primary filter & wanted extra layer of pre-filtering?
I just wanted better filtration and didn’t feel like 1 filter offered enough protection. Personal preference I guess.

I’ve always used Fleetguard filters on my set up. I like them better and they are OEM for Cummins. There are also several complaints of thread galling with the CAT filters.

Just my $0.02

I just wanted better filtration and didn’t feel like 1 filter offered enough protection. Personal preference I guess.

I’ve always used Fleetguard filters on my set up. I like them better and they are OEM for Cummins. There are also several complaints of thread galling with the CAT filters.

Just my $0.02
Nothing wrong with that! I would run Fleetguard too myself over CAT. But us 6.0L powerstroke people scream & rave about using CAT ELC approved coolant. :LOL:

Back