GM back in #1 spot...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably,

Most Americans are NOT car enthusiasts.

Look how big (and I mean big in at least two ways) SUV's have gotten here.

Quote:

You have obviously never turn a corner at speed. BOR-ing!

See Spa-Francorchamps in google for reference.

Are most American drivers this clueless?

I think this is funny. Car are not boring or exciting?! They are one of my passions.

Anyway, I was just saying if Toyota does not make a reliable car, then they really don't have much going for them.

I drive my car hard and have tuned it to do so. Things break and I know why and how they break. If you drive you car easy thing won't break as much. Performance, looks, praticality, then reliability are why I would choose a certain car in that order.

Quote:

Anyway, I was just saying if Toyota does not make a reliable car, then they really don't have much going for them.

Agree 100%. They don't make any sports cars at all. No fun coupes, nothing... They have a boring lineup. If quality continues to drop, the internet will spread the message slowly but surely. Let them fail.

Quote:

I don't care for either one of this manufacturers, because they are not making any interesting vehicles in lower price range.

Maybe not to you, but I like what I see. I've got an 06 Solstice that is a blast and looks great. The new Camaro is making me drule. I also like the looks of the new Saturn Astra.

Quote:

Quote:

Agree 100%. They don't make any sports cars at all. No fun coupes, nothing... They have a boring lineup. If quality continues to drop, the internet will spread the message slowly but surely. Let them fail.

Agreed as well.

Quote:

If 'exciting' and 'boring' can't be used to describe cars, there would be no difference between makers such as Ferarri or Porsche and Toyota and Hyundai. Performance cars have 400+ hp because they're built to be exciting to drive. A Camry has 263 because it's used mostly to get from A to B in a reliable and easy-to-maintain manner. I'm sorry your driving experiences have failed to demonstrate the differences between boring and exciting, but that doesn't apply to everyone.

There is a difference. Ferrari and Porsche make ostentatiously inefficient vehicles. Toyota and Hyundai make fairly efficient vehicles. Ignoring the initial cost of ownership, I would not want to drive a vehicle made by either Ferrari or Porsche. My annual gasoline expenses would triple.

By the way, by the new rating standards, my 1995 Toyota Avalon has 170 horsepower. I see no need for anything more than that and I cannot understand why in the new Avalon and Camry, Toyota switched to a 3.5L engine from the new GR engine family when the 2.5L direct injected engine from that family would have sufficed.

Quote:

I think this is funny. Car are not boring or exciting?! They are one of my passions.

I drive my car hard and have tuned it to do so. Things break and I know why and how they break. If you drive you car easy thing won't break as much. Performance, looks, praticality, then reliability are why I would choose a certain car in that order.

What about practicing driving habits that minimize your overall consumption of petroleum? Not that long ago, people not that far from me died because we consume so much petroleum each year. Exacerbating the situation by consuming even more petroleum is not a good thing to do.

Quote:

Probably,

Quote:

I have an SUV and a small pickup. I guess that means I am not a car enthusiast. Even though I could probably recite just about every Ford truck trim level, optional engine and transmission (including the unusual 4.2L Ford V8), etc...I am not an enthusiast since I do not drive something sporty and fast. My friends who have sporty and fast cars, but who cannot even tell me what the displacement of their car's engine is are the real enthusiasts.
wink.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I can see it now..

Toyota boring cars, falling quality, paying lower wages to American workers.. oF course they are making a profit!

They don't pay much to make exciting designs or build the things.

The Prius is such a tweener. I don't like the weight/handling penalty you pay for have two drive systems.

You take as a postulate that boring and exciting are terms that describe cars, but I fail to see how they can describe cars. Cars are meant to enable people to travel from A to B. The terms boring and exciting do not apply in this context. Furthermore, you fail to state the context in which the wages Toyota pays are lower. Unless you state the context in which you speak, your statement is ambiguous. Lastly, you fail to state how Toyota's quality is falling.

When my Explorer is going up a hill at an angle that only allows me to see the sky and nothing else, I consider that exciting. When it sloshes through a mud hole, that is also exciting. It sounds like you are driving the wrong type of car or driving in the wrong places.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I can see it now..

Toyota boring cars, falling quality, paying lower wages to American workers.. oF course they are making a profit!

They don't pay much to make exciting designs or build the things.

The Prius is such a tweener. I don't like the weight/handling penalty you pay for have two drive systems.

You take as a postulate that boring and exciting are terms that describe cars, but I fail to see how they can describe cars. Cars are meant to enable people to travel from A to B. The terms boring and exciting do not apply in this context. Furthermore, you fail to state the context in which the wages Toyota pays are lower. Unless you state the context in which you speak, your statement is ambiguous. Lastly, you fail to state how Toyota's quality is falling.

When my Explorer is going up a hill at an angle that only allows me to see the sky and nothing else, I consider that exciting. When it sloshes through a mud hole, that is also exciting. It sounds like you are driving the wrong type of car or driving in the wrong places.

If I was in a Ford Explorer and either I saw the sky and nothing else or the vehicle went through a mud hole, I would be afraid that the vehicle would soon be on its side or roof.

Why? They do not spontaneously flip over. You have to do something stupid to make them flip over. I'm just using the vehicle the way it was intended.

I actually find driving my $200 dollar 1993 Toyota Tercel rather exciting. It shifts nicely and taking turns on its 155 wide tires is an adventure. I seriously doubt anybody driving a $40,000 dollar sports car is having 200 times more fun than me!

Sadly, I can't say my brand new 2007 Saturn ION is nearly as fun to drive. I'm trying to sell the ION so I can drive the exciting car for a few years. I'm also discovering that nobody really wants to buy a used ION with manual transmission and handy crank actuated windows.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't care for either one of this manufacturers, because they are not making any interesting vehicles in lower price range.

Maybe not to you, but I like what I see. I've got an 06 Solstice that is a blast and looks great. The new Camaro is making me drule. I also like the looks of the new Saturn Astra.

What part of LOWER didn't you understand? new camaro and solistice are not in lower price range. they would cost a lot more than 20k new. Besides those car are not very practical. american car makers should look at subaru, VW and Mazda to learn a lesson.

interesting that folks spoke of the importance of toyota getting to #1 because they are so great, back when it was happening. Now the company line around here is how profit is more important, and that #1 is just secondary, becaue its just a number. Lots of spin coming, from what I can see.

Toyota does pay lower wages and offer its laborers a lower quality of life, from what Ive seen and read (prove me wrong if you know otherwise - id be interested). Not that I necessarily agree with UAW, but unskilled laborers need help to ensure that they arent stomped upon, too.

I'd love to see if, given the immense popularity of GM Europe's vehicles, how the profitability and whatnot compares to toyota domestically and around the world.

JMH

Quote:

Quote:

Probably,

Quote:

I have an SUV and a small pickup. I guess that means I am not a car enthusiast. Even though I could probably recite just about every Ford truck trim level, optional engine and transmission (including the unusual 4.2L Ford V8), etc...I am not an enthusiast since I do not drive something sporty and fast. My friends who have sporty and fast cars, but who cannot even tell me what the displacement of their car's engine is are the real enthusiasts.
wink.gif

You may be a truck enthusiast, but based on your vehicle choices, you don't provide any evidence of being a car enthusiast.

Since I've never owned a truck, I'm probably not a car enthusiast.

No big deal either way. It certainly was not meant as an insult.

Based on what sells in America, there are very few car enthusiasts.

Quote:

That whole #1 spot is purely psychological. Who cares if you sell the most cars if you're doing it at a loss (like GM). You can't keep it up for too long.

Toyota certainly needs to be careful though. If its key selling points such as reliability and quality are eroded, they'll be in big trouble. Reliability and quality are the factors that buyers consider when looking at Toyota vehicles. With those gone, how else can Toyota stand out from the crowd?

Thats why I like toyota, the cars arent anything special, but they're nothing special for as long as you keep putting gas in them.

I like my honda better in every way over my old toyota, but I sure liked how my toyota didnt have any problems.

Quote:

Performance, looks, practicality, then reliability are why I would choose a certain car in that order.

I would choose a car with features in the exact opposite order.

Quote:

Why? They do not spontaneously flip over. You have to do something stupid to make them flip over. I'm just using the vehicle the way it was intended.

Are driving up steep inclines and going quickly through mud holes in a vehicle that has a high center of gravity not part of your definition of stupid?

Quote:

interesting that folks spoke of the importance of toyota getting to #1 because they are so great, back when it was happening. Now the company line around here is how profit is more important, and that #1 is just secondary, becaue its just a number. Lots of spin coming, from what I can see.

Toyota does pay lower wages and offer its laborers a lower quality of life, from what Ive seen and read (prove me wrong if you know otherwise - id be interested). Not that I necessarily agree with UAW, but unskilled laborers need help to ensure that they arent stomped upon, too.

I'd love to see if, given the immense popularity of GM Europe's vehicles, how the profitability and whatnot compares to toyota domestically and around the world.

JMH

Toyota's employees make more than college professors with phds. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

By the way, GM's employees who probably make about $140,000 on average are not being done a favor by being paid so much, as the price of everything goes up in areas where the jobs that can take the greatest quantity of people pay enormous amounts. Say they make double the amount they should be paid. That, generally speaking, leads to paying double what they should pay for just about everything. There are some exceptions due to various factors, but that is generally what happens as a factor of time. In those exceptions, any instance in which they get ahead because of this is an instance where other people in general, including their relatives, will be hurt. One such case being the affordability of cars.

I would rather have a job that pays $1,000 a year than a job that pays $10,000 a year where the money is worth 10 times less and my relatives are hurt because of it.

Quote:

Toyota's employees make more than college professors with phds. A line has to be drawn somewhere.

confused.gif
That's because Toyota employees produce something people actually want to buy. My experience was that many college professors mostly produce hot air, and a lot of that was goofy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back