GM unveils new light truck diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by avette:
That was my observation also.
I've tried to get answers from many places, including the "trusted" mechanincs, to no avail.
Does anyone know the answer??

If I had to make an educated guess, I'd say that probably because Ford's catalysts are more efficient, more H2O vapor is being produced in the exhaust, and rinsing out any carbon deposits that might have accumulated there.
Ever see a Crown Vic that's been idling for a while take off and dump steady streams of water out the tailpipe(s)?

That's the best conclusion I can come to.

You ain't kidding about Cr. Vic exhausts - I've blown water out of a set of duals about five feet long on occasion after a loooong idle period.

John.

quote:

Originally posted by Carbonics:

the khaki panted frat boy poser buys domestic too.

At all the institutions of higher learning I attended, the khaki panted frat boy posers drove 3 series BMW's - the ultimate pretender machine.

quote:

I have seen Nissan Titans and I am not impressed. Horrible fuel mileage compared to Chevy and the worst reliability of them all. I didn't even mention the goofy "bad boy" in your face styling. Yeah great job Nissan. Enjoy your 1% of the full size truck market.

Horrible fuel mileage? That is an outright fabrication. My Titan got 20 mpg on the highway, consistently. I don't know who reports your data, but if they took their foot off the floor, mileage might improve.

The bad fuel mileage title goes to Dodge and Ford. They get nothing near the sticker mileage. My Titan exceeded it.

You might get a bit more respect if you showed a bit more respect.

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
Don't worry, some tree hugger group is bound to go after any diesel program. You're supposed to drive an electric car and eat bushes. These emission standards were pulled out of someone’s ear and have nothing to do with reality. If the manufacturers meet them, they are rewarded with more reductions. You see, these politicians that do this stuff, get their jobs by winning a popularity contest. They are then declared legislators and are therefore experts. And who's the Einstein that came up with E85. They make it from corn. Can you imagine fighting with pigs and cows for your next tank of fuel. Great idea if you're a corn picker, but put that stuff in a car that does not built for it and you have one trashed car. Maybe not the first tank but certainly by the second or third. And GM sells these corn picking cars, but they only list the gasoline EPA mileage rating. They have forgotten to list what it does on the juice. If you get 450 miles a tank on gas, you'll get 350 on juice. Great solution. Instead of OPEC, will have Archer Daniels Midland, and those guys would sell their sister to a Shiner's convention if it means a better next quarter. What they need to do is finish cleaning up the diesel and let the manufacturers start selling them, with reasonable standard to meet. Ditch the tree huggers and corn pickers. Make the legislators give the money back to ADM and let us start driving diesels.

LarryL nails it again. But, to make ethanol marketable we'd have to remove the tariff from Brazilian sources and remove the tax incentives from ADM. It is a scam on the taxpayers. Still think you let ADM off lightly, they have a criminal record that demands the retraction of their charter to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back