GM unveils new light truck diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was 16 I had a Toyota Corona that constantly broke down and needed repair. Do I think that the new Toyota's always break-down? No. When I was about 17 I drove a Datsun B210 that had about 67hp and started to rust after it was only a couple of years old. Do I think the new Nissan's are anemic and rust-buckets? No. I owned a Honda something (don't remember prelude/accord?) that cost an arm-and-a-leg for parts and took forever to replace the clutch. Something as simple as a clutch but not designed to be easily replaced. Do I think all foreign cars cost a lot to repair and take longer than American cars? Well, yes, and with the Honda I finally learned what the previous foreign cars were trying to teach me.

How are new foreign cars any better then new domestics? Please, real, objective, supported, ways only.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:
A good share of it is how they treat cuspomers hwen there is problem. Out 2000 Acura TL had one of the problematic 5 speed automatics. When it showed signs of a small problem long after it was off the original warranty Acura replaced it with no hassle. Then about a year later they recalled it to add an upgrade to the transmission.

The way Acura handled that transmission problem is one of the reasons we just bought another one.

Absolutely. A lot of experience with domestic cars here too, and all of it has been negative. Japanese cars aren't perfect, but domestic cars have - in my experience - been far worse.
 -

XS650 I have had my fair share of toyota treating me like garbage about warranty issues too you know. In fact, my 2002 Camaro and 2000 Firebird have been vastly more reliable and easier/cheaper to maintain than my two toyota trucks were (99 and 95 models).

I know honda treats people nice, but this is not something that can be said for all *** brands such as mitsubishi (the ford of japan), or toyota (almost american).

****, I'd take a Chevy cobalt over a Kia Rio anyday, wouldn't you?

The debate is car for car, never mfgr vs mfgr. You all need to settle down and think diesel
cheers.gif
smile.gif
FWIW I drive American currently and love it.

"I hate diesel V-8s. I wish they would make a turbodiesel I6 instead."

The Cummins ISB / 5.9 has been around ahwile, and is a well developed engine.

FowVay: Because the owner did not care where the oil was changed or with what oil, only that it was cheap. In five oil changes, there were four different shops and 2 different weights (5W-30/10W-30) and all different brands of oil/filters. None synthetic. Two oil changes were only about $12 using the cheapest oil available. Even at 5K OCI, the oil could not handle it. The pickup was 99.5% clogged and the pan was all sludged up. It definitely (re-)proved to me that synthetic is needed in those sludge-proned engines.

The VW dealer and VW corporate instantly denied the claim stating that the oil pump failed and caused the sludge??!?!?! Come-on, the pickup was blocked...the pump failed, then caused sludge?? A more believable denial would have been "the customer didn't use the right oil", but that was never mentioned/discovered.

quote:

Originally posted by lght1:
I like what one chap said on another forum in regards to the "junk" domestic trucks... " People who actually work with their trucks, buy domestic, while those who feel they must convince their wives and neighbors they actually do have a "Y" chromosome tend to buy Toyotas and the like."

In my part of the world Tundra's are very clean and driven by younger guys in kahki pants. They also have a few trendy stickers on the back glass like a dave matthews band sticker and alpha omega dipwadsulum and such. I see at least 250 to 1 domestic "work trucks" to toyota or nissan brands so I must say your comment is very true in my area.

I am excited to see when a full size truck is offered from Toyota. The have a compact and a mid size already but have failed to introduce a full size model.

I have seen Nissan Titans and I am not impressed. Horrible fuel mileage compared to Chevy and the worst reliability of them all. I didn't even mention the goofy "bad boy" in your face styling. Yeah great job Nissan. Enjoy your 1% of the full size truck market.

I'm getting kind of excited to see if DaimlerChrysler puts their new (Mercedes) BlueTec diesel that's going to be in the '07 Grand Cherokee in the Dodge Dakota. That truck is just crying for a compact, efficient turbodiesel.

I even thought back in the days of the 2nd and 3rd gen Dakotas what a treat it would have been to offer a small 4-cylinder Cummins turbodiesel in this truck. Keep with the whole theme of "2/3 scale Ram" by offering an engine of this type. I bet the fuel economy would have been incredible, and power should have been decent. Sure, it'd have rattled like ball bearings in a coffee can, but that would just add to the overall diesel experience.

BTW, anyone read about DC's innovative emissions control on their BlueTec diesel? Urea injection! Am I reading this wrong, or are they really squirting concentrated *** into the catalysts? That's gotta smell wonderful. Wonder what they're going to call this special "fluid" that needs to be topped off regularly?

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:

BTW, anyone read about DC's innovative emissions control on their BlueTec diesel? Urea injection! Am I reading this wrong, or are they really squirting concentrated *** into the catalysts? That's gotta smell wonderful. Wonder what they're going to call this special "fluid" that needs to be topped off regularly?

I'd view this as a "transitional technology" bandage. Much like Ford managed to put more hose plumbing under the 80-90's hoods to flip over backwards and spit nickles for emissions. I'd expect this method to be trumped by some inovation that's already in development ..but not quite ready for prime time. You'll end up tap dancing to get "OEM approved" Urea for your injection system after it quickly fades into obsolescence.

quote:

I carry a roll of duct tape in the car. The roof panels usually creak and pop for few days before they blow off so I should be able to tape it in time.

That is unfortunate, but at least it will still blow the doors off most Toyotas.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Matt_S:
I think it's pretty pathetic that a thread I started about GM's new diesel engine turned into yet another "let's bash GM" thread.

I think it's pretty pathetic that the biggest auto manufacturing company in the world got to the point of becoming the industry's laughing stock.
Are you saying that we need to stop talking about GM and its mostly misearable products?
Yea, just leave it alone and somehow everything will work out just fine. Right.

quote:

Originally posted by acewiza:

quote:

I carry a roll of duct tape in the car. The roof panels usually creak and pop for few days before they blow off so I should be able to tape it in time.

That is unfortunate, but at least it will still blow the doors off most Toyotas.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Yeah, that's important...
rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by acewiza:

quote: That is unfortunate, but at least it will still blow the doors off most Toyotas. [coffee]

Yeah, that's important...
Its ummm..sports car.
pat.gif

quote:

I'd view this as a "transitional technology" bandage. Much like Ford managed to put more hose plumbing under the 80-90's hoods to flip over backwards and spit nickles for emissions. I'd expect this method to be trumped by some inovation that's already in development ..but not quite ready for prime time. You'll end up tap dancing to get "OEM approved" Urea for your injection system after it quickly fades into obsolescence.

Another thing I was reading about it is that since there is no difference in driveability whether or not there is fluid in the reservoir, they're most likely going to have a level sensor in the reservoir that will trip a light and make the engine run at a reduced power "limp in" mode till the fluid is replenished.
Not that it couldn't probably be easily bypassed. For that matter, it probably wouldn't be smart enough to know whether there's urea or just plain water in the reservoir. Wonder what plain water injection would do to a catalyst compared to urea?

BTW, the over-plumbed Fords from the '80s and '90s always smelled nice and clean out the tailpipes. Complex, yes, but it did work. You could always smell "Ford exhaust" when they were running in the shop or you were standing near the back of one. It was a unique smell compared to the way the GMs and Chryslers smelled. The GM products always smelled the dirtiest. I know my nose isn't a 4-gas analyzer, but being around cars in various states of tune, I can smell one that's running excessively rich, lean, or correct.

Also, ever notice on the newer Fords, especially the trucks, the tailpipes almost never are carboned or sooty. Most the time, they're spotless clean and the color of plain silver metal. I've seen it even on trucks with lots of miles on them. Can't say the same for a GM or Dodge which always have a soot ring around the end of the tailpipe. Exactly what that tells me I don't completely know, but it is something that's not seen in other brands.

quote:

Originally posted by GT Mike:
Also, ever notice on the newer Fords, especially the trucks, the tailpipes almost never are carboned or sooty. Most the time, they're spotless clean and the color of plain silver metal. I've seen it even on trucks with lots of miles on them. Can't say the same for a GM or Dodge which always have a soot ring around the end of the tailpipe.

That was my observation also.
I've tried to get answers from many places, including the "trusted" mechanincs, to no avail.
Does anyone know the answer??

I see one "work truck" to every 30 to 40 spotless/spitshined/off road packaged/chromed out/bling bling rimmed chevy and ford out there and I live in central cali where we have a butt load of farms.

the khaki panted frat boy poser buys domestic too.

that or a bunch of homers are trying to be frat boy losers, not sure which.

Ah, another thread with comments about E-85. Please feel free to pass this along:

1) If every acre of corn in the United States were devoted to ethanol production (that's right, no food) and all that ethanol were burned in vehicles as fuel, it would amount to less than 12% of our current usage.

2) Ethanol is a disaster to produce. Ten miles East of where I sit, an ethanol plant is going into production. It will require six gallons of water from one of the purest underground aquifers remaining in the U.S. to produce 1 gallon of ethanol. Five of the six gallons will simply be wasted as cooling water for the process.

3) Points to #2 above. We're all so fascinated with high fuel prices we won't even see it when we're blind-sided by the water crisis- sooner and worse than the energy. Most things don't run without energy. Nothing runs without water. Only 7% or so of the Earth's water is fresh at any given moment, and, that's right, it will take enormous energy inputs to desalinate more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back