GM announces 5 year/100,000 Powertrain Warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I truly believe in the OLM. I think this a vote of confidence from the top of management for the technology. If you notice his one comment, about how a few years ago it would have cost them more money. It seems the top management is also aware of the intake leak debacle.

Gee, I wonder if this move might be timed to coincide with the retirement of the last version of the 60-deg V-6 with the ******/leaky intake gasket (the non-VVT 3.5L)??? OK, I plead GUILTY to being overly cynical. . .

quote:

Originally posted by avette:

quote:

Originally posted by MC5W20:
It seems the top management is also aware of the intake leak debacle.

I think you expect way too much from them.

Actually, I thought this type of information would be filtered from them and they would be unaware. It seems by the statement he made, they are aware their engines had intake issues which shortened thier life or caused driveability problems.

Back to your statement, i think its my nature to expect way to much from everybody, that is why I am always dissapointed when I have others do work for me, which is why I do as much as i can for myself.

I wonder how this will effect their OLM calibrations
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
****, I just bought an 2006 five months ago.

I just bought an '06 Envoy 2 days ago. No mention form the dealer about 100k on '07's , BUT, the 07 would have been a full 5k more for the same vehicle with BNG. A major dealer in St. Louis still has '05 Envoy's, loaded with all options (except leather) for 23k, OTD.

It was never the power train problems but,the 1-300 dollar other stuff that kept me at the dealer with every GM I've owned. What GM buyers really need is a good bumper to bumper warranty. Those many $200 problems add up. GM is being very cute with this new warranty. 5Y/100K. If the average car owner drives 12 K per year then the warranty is really only good for ~ 60 K and not 100K miles. Gm is doing it to their customers again and they wonder how their finanical problems could happen. At least now Ford has hired an outside CEO. GM should fire the CEO, CFO and all board members who make top level decisions. Then maybe, just maybe we'd get some really competitve vehicles. JMR ed

Right on Eddie. What good is extending the warranty when customers are routinely screwed by denied warranty claims?
twak.gif

Most folks trade cars before that warranty is up so GM doesn't se any costs for the last year or two.
The several common or recurring problems I've been familiar with all seem to happen at about 70,000 miles.
Past the usual 36,000 miles, but the 100,000 would catch.

I put on about 14,000 miles a year, so when this '05 gets replaced, I might see some protection.

I'm remembering the "wifey forgot to change the oil, engine locked up, will the dealership know if I replace the oil filter" thread that was on here.

That's one warranty claim that deserved to be denied.

They might be able to tell if they look, Brian.
I recall a post or two that said the factory installed filter was a little different than the over the counter AC, etc..

quote:

Originally posted by Eddie:
It was never the power train problems but,the 1-300 dollar other stuff that kept me at the dealer with every GM I've owned. What GM buyers really need is a good bumper to bumper warranty. Those many $200 problems add up. GM is being very cute with this new warranty. 5Y/100K. If the average car owner drives 12 K per year then the warranty is really only good for ~ 60 K and not 100K miles. Gm is doing it to their customers again and they wonder how their finanical problems could happen. At least now Ford has hired an outside CEO. GM should fire the CEO, CFO and all board members who make top level decisions. Then maybe, just maybe we'd get some really competitve vehicles. JMR ed

I'll be buying an extended warranty for an 06 Corvette in the next few months so have been looking into GMPP (GM Protection Plan) packages for bumper to bumper $0 deductable. Much better plans than GM's free extended warranty.

A corvette isn't the cheapest GM car to buy an extended warranty for by along shot, but here's the prices to give the same distance/time coverage as the new GM warranty, except these prices include bumber to bumper instead of just powertrain. These prices are well below list price but available online.

If bought at time of new car purchase.
60 month/60k miles $1220
60 month/100k miles $2625

but...if your GM car is less than 12 months old and has under 12k miles on it, you can buy GMPP coverage abd the clock starts when you buy the coverage, not when you bought your car. So I can get 60/80k coverage by buying just befor I hit 12 months 12k miles and buying a 48 month/48 k package.

48 month/48k miles $705 gives 60 month 60k coverage if you time it right.
48 month/80k miles $1640 gives 60 month 92k miles if you time it right.

And yes, the up to one year extra coverage at no extra cost is real.

Prices are from:
http://www.gmoutlet.com/mgn_email.htm

Those extended warranty prices are outrageous. Though they're 3rd party, WarrantyDirect seems to have good feedback from users and provides solid plans at good prices.

Do you have Geico for auto insurance? I know that JHZR2 has an extended warranty through geico for close to nothing.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
Those extended warranty prices are outrageous. Though they're 3rd party, WarrantyDirect seems to have good feedback from users and provides solid plans at good prices.

Do you have Geico for auto insurance? I know that JHZR2 has an extended warranty through geico for close to nothing.

Geico's doesn't cover a lot of things.

I got a quote from Warranty direct. Their coverage wasn't quite as good as the GMPP Masterguard plan when you read the fine print. But, their prices for their full up plan were essentially as high as GMs when you get an actual quote.

The majority of 3rd party companies that were in business 15 years ago don't exist anymore.

My experiance with GM products tells me I have a real good chance of coming out money ahead on an extended warranty at those prices.

The original filter is usually different than any replacement/maintenance filter. On the GM vehicles I've seen its usually plain black w/o markings. To reply to some other questions:
1) Dealers just found out about the new warranty, probably the same day as everyone else.
2) Eddie: how is GM doing "it" to the customers again by offering a free warranty? Come on. I guess some people can make a negative out of anything.
3) I think the average mileage driven is probably closer to 15K a year, so, yes the warranty will likely expire by time before mileage but some people do drive 20K or more a year.
4) The GMPP is not "bumper-to-bumper". If you go on their website gmprotectionplan.com it explains the coverages.

Anything less then the industry's best 10 year 100,000 mile warranty is not going to cut it! In my mind when I see that they can not match upstart Korean car companies warranty it makes me wounder why??? Is their durability lacking, do they doubt their products quality, are they trying to go as cheap as possable etc??????????

$200 here and there is nothing compared to if something happened engine or transmission related and was going to cost $5000 to fix. Our technicians don't get paid to spend time trying to find a reason to deny warranty and the dealership doesn't want to **** off a potential repeat customer, so the engine will likely get fixed no matter what the customer did to f%69 it up. Everybody just likes to whine, I hear it every day. The replies here wouldn't be any different if GM had just discontinued its 60k powertrain warranty, that Ford just came out with this year to catch up with GM. %^%&& customers are narrow minded!!!!

Just saw a Ford commercial crowing about their new 5/60 bumper to bumper warranty.
Well I guess the war is on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back