2013 GM Powertrain warranty change

Status
Not open for further replies.

dla

My wife is looking at an 2013 Buick Enclave AWD. In looking at local dealers website it stated the following:

WARRANTY
Basic:
4 Years/50,000 Miles
Corrosion:
4 Years/50,000 Miles
Rust-Through
6 Years/Unlimited Miles
Drivetrain:
6 Years/70,000 Miles
Roadside Assistance:
6 Years/70,000 Miles

Is that misprint or did GM move away from the 5yr/100K powertrain. I know these engines used to have timing chain issues has that issue been resolved?

Yes,their website confirms that they changed their drive train warranty

2013 Warranty Information
2012 Warranty Information
FAQ
Warranty Coverage

Purchase or lease a new Buick and your vehicle will be fully backed by GM's warranties. Anyone who purchases or leases a new vehicle will be automatically covered.
Warranty and Coverage

Buick 6-year/70,000-mile Transferable Powertrain Limited Warranty with no deductible2
Buick 6-year/70,000-mile 24/7 Roadside Assistance2
Buick 6-year/70,000-mile Courtesy Transportation2
Buick 8-year/100,000-mile Limited Warranty on certain eAssist components2
Powertrain Coverage
6 years/70,000 miles

Buick will warrant each 2013 model year Buick passenger car, light duty truck - for 6 years or 70,000 miles/110,000 kms. with no deductible, whichever comes first, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs which are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the Powertrain components as listed below:2
Engine

All internally lubricated parts, engine oil cooling hoses and lines. Also included are all actuators and electrical components internal to the engine (e.g., Active Fuel Management Valve Lifter Oil Manifold), cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers, valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer, engine mount, turbocharger, and supercharger. Timing belts are covered until the first scheduled maintenance interval. Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.
Transmission/Transaxle

All internally lubricated parts, case, torque converter, mounts, seals, and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transmission/transaxle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transmission (slave cylinder, etc.). Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transmission cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring, and electrical connectors. Also excluded are the clutch and pressure plate as well as any Transmission Control Module and/or module programming.
Transfer Case

All internally lubricated parts, case, mounts, seals, and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the transfer case. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the transfer case as well as the encoder motor. Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are transfer case cooling lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring, and electrical connectors as well as the transfer case control module and/or module programming.
Drive Systems

All internally lubricated parts, final-drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts and universal joints. All mounts, supports, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (i.e., front differential actuator). Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are all wheel bearings, drive wheel front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs, drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors related to drive systems as well as any drive system control module and/or module programming.
Courtesy Transportation Program

During the warranty coverage period, this Buick program provides alternate transportation and/or reimbursement of certain transportation expenses under the Courtesy Transportation Program if your vehicle requires warranty repairs. Several transportation options are available. Refer to your Owner Manual for details, including reservation of rights, or consult your dealer.
Roadside Assistance Program

Buick is proud to offer the response, security, and convenience of the 24-hour Roadside Assistance Program for a period of 6 years or 70,000 miles/110,000 kms., whichever comes first. Refer to your Owner Manual for details, or consult your dealer/retailer. The Roadside Assistance contact information is listed in the Customer Assistance Offices section of the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.
What Is Not Covered

All the above items are not covered for damage due to accident, misuse, alteration, insufficient or improper maintenance, contaminated or poor quality fuel, damage or corrosion due to chemical treatments or Aftermarket products and impact, use, or the environment. For complete details refer to your Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet.
This is a supplement to the express conditions and warranties described in the Warranty and Owner Assistance Information booklet. Other coverages are not extended or altered due to this supplement.
For 2007 through 2012 model year passenger car owners requiring a more comprehensive coverage than what is provided with this warranty and the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, an authorized GM service contract (GM Protection Plan) is available through your dealer. These are the only plans recommended by General Motors. See your dealer for details.
Bumper-to-Bumper
Covered for 4 years/50,000 miles

Buick backs your new vehicle with its no-deductible, Bumper-to-Bumper Limited Warranty. The entire vehicle is warranted for repairs, including parts and labor, to correct defects in materials or workmanship, for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first (except normal maintenance). Needed repairs will be performed using new, remanufactured, or refurbished parts. The warranty covers towing to the nearest Buick dealership, and there is no deductible for warranty repairs during the warranty period. The warranty transfers automatically with vehicle ownership during the warranty period.2
Corrosion Protection
Covered for 6 years/100,000 miles 2

Buick vehicles are designed and built to resist corrosion. All body and sheet metal components are warranted against rust-through corrosion for 6 years (unlimited mileage). Application of additional rust-inhibiting materials is not required under the corrosion coverage and none is recommended. See your Buick dealer for terms of this limited warranty.
An Important Note about Alterations and Warranties

Installations or alterations to the original equipment vehicle (or chassis) as distributed by General Motors are not covered by the General Motors New Vehicle Limited Warranty. The special body company, assembler, equipment installer, or upfitter is solely responsible for warranties on the body or equipment and any alterations (or any effect of the alterations) to any of the parts, components, systems, or assemblies installed by GM. General Motors is not responsible for the safety or quality of design features, materials, or workmanship of any alterations by such suppliers.

Six years is a nice increase, but taking off 30,000 miles is very telling.
First thing to come to mind is the industry shift to smaller, turbo engines. Higher RPM's, direct injection, turbo heat, all would play into the warranty change for the engine.

Second, I looked at the Buick Regal when it first came out. Transmission was made in China. Service Manager at the dealer said he was going to have all the warranty work he could handle. Whether that came to be I do not know.

I wonder if that's for all GM cars, or only for Buick. Kinda glad I have a 2012 with the 5 year/100k mile warranty. That I hope never to use.

They need to save some money to pay back the loans.Denying claims after 70K will save lots.

Really? A Chinese transmission in a $35,000 Buick? I can't imagine that will will be a trouble free unit. And, what ever happened to "made in America" ??

I'm not willing to take the risk.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Really? A Chinese transmission in a $35,000 Buick? I can't imagine that will will be a trouble free unit. And, what ever happened to "made in America" ??

I'm not willing to take the risk.

No different than the Chinese engines in the $35K trucks.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe

First thing to come to mind is the industry shift to smaller, turbo engines. Higher RPM's, direct injection, turbo heat, all would play into the warranty change for the engine.

I think you nailed it. Maybe they know something some of us have suspected for a while. The new technology might not be all its cracked up to be.
27.gif

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
They need to save some money to pay back the loans.Denying claims after 70K will save lots.

Yep, it will add to the bottom line. After all isn't increasing profits what its all about?

I guess now they can make more money selling us extended warranties.

I'm sure this is the result of some analysis they did on claim rates, costs, sales benefits of longer warranties, competitor warranties, etc. Funny that the reaction to this is that the cars must be too lousy to warranty out to 100k. People typically didn't say the opposite when Hyundai rolled out their 100k warranties - they usually suggested it was to conceal the lousiness of the cars and hoodwink buyers. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. FWIW Honda offers 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 limited powertrain. Pieces of $#!^
grin.gif

I highly doubt this has anything to do with some expectation of poor reliability in the 70-100k mile timeframe due to turbo charging, high rpm, etc. Last I checked both turbos and high-revving designs have been in widespread use for a long time and don't seem to be prone to premature failures.

I guess the alternative would be to go back to sweet engines like the old OHV 3.1 v6. That would be awesome
lol.gif

jeff

if you are spending 40-50k on a buick, i dont see why you'd quibble over 30k miles of warranty. its doubtful such a rich person would care about warranty anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
if you are spending 40-50k on a buick, i dont see why you'd quibble over 30k miles of warranty. its doubtful such a rich person would care about warranty anyway.

I wouldnt spend 40-50K on any Buick....But thats just me.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey

Making monthly payments of a 40-50k automobile automatically puts you into the "rich person" category??? Since when?

Even people buying BMW's and Benz's look at the warranty they are getting.

Originally Posted By: greenjp
I'm sure this is the result of some analysis they did on claim rates, costs, sales benefits of longer warranties, competitor warranties, etc. Funny that the reaction to this is that the cars must be too lousy to warranty out to 100k. People typically didn't say the opposite when Hyundai rolled out their 100k warranties - they usually suggested it was to conceal the lousiness of the cars and hoodwink buyers. Darned if you do, darned if you don't. FWIW Honda offers 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 limited powertrain. Pieces of $#!^
grin.gif

I highly doubt this has anything to do with some expectation of poor reliability in the 70-100k mile timeframe due to turbo charging, high rpm, etc. Last I checked both turbos and high-revving designs have been in widespread use for a long time and don't seem to be prone to premature failures.

I guess the alternative would be to go back to sweet engines like the old OHV 3.1 v6. That would be awesome
lol.gif

jeff

Good points. Every business reviews what the competition is doing and, quite frankly, if companies like Honda are offering 5/60 powertrain warranty, why offer more? Companies do the same thing with salaries paid and benefits - matching others in most cases.

I just test drove a Regal GS and it was 36,500 out the door. I didn't think that was unreasonable.

I will buy a used one in a year or two. I really liked it.

I think I will stick with my Toyota that doesn't blow up at 71,000.

^^^Yeah. You do that.

I'll stick with my GMC fleet trucks that have reached mileages of 400k plus working daily in the city with no smoke, no consumption and no drips!

The oldest one had a 3/36 warranty when new. Warranty means little in the very long term for us as the vehicles go a LONG way before anything substantial is needed!

I could only imagine if GM had extended their warranty. People would be calling them junk, and saying they need the warranty to cover the product because it's garbage. To some people, GM can't win, no matter what they do.

Originally Posted By: Doog

I think I will stick with my Toyota that doesn't blow up at 71,000.

Funny I have not had any of GM cars do that.

Stop being a troll.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back