GF-5 Oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All,

I've enjoyed reading the posts on BITOG for some time now and finally decided to join in. Lots of collective wisdom on this site!

Regarding the new "GF-5" oils due out in 2009-2010...is this stuff really going to be as bad as it sounds? Seems like the only things they mention with it is "due to air quality regulations", "emissions equipment protection", and "fuel-efficency". Engine wear doesn't even seem to be a topic of discussion with them...I have this mental image of my truck falling into pieces BUT with a nice shinny catalyst still there!
OK, I'm going over the top here...

So should I go to Walmart and buy about two shopping carts of motor oil before this GF-5 oil shows up?

Or, should I just open another beer and relax?

Both????

Thanks in advance for the help

RangerDan

Originally Posted By: RangerDan
Dear All,

I've enjoyed reading the posts on BITOG for some time now and finally decided to join in. Lots of collective wisdom on this site!

Regarding the new "GF-5" oils due out in 2009-2010...is this stuff really going to be as bad as it sounds? Seems like the only things they mention with it is "due to air quality regulations", "emissions equipment protection", and "fuel-efficency". Engine wear doesn't even seem to be a topic of discussion with them...I have this mental image of my truck falling into pieces BUT with a nice shinny catalyst still there!
OK, I'm going over the top here...

So should I go to Walmart and buy about two shopping carts of motor oil before this GF-5 oil shows up?

Or, should I just open another beer and relax?

Both????

Thanks in advance for the help

RangerDan

welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Relax, enjoy life. Everyone thought the world was coming to an end with GF2, GF3, and GF4. And don't even get me started when 5W20 was introduced. I believe those high dollar chemist that work for the oil companies know a thing or two.

Since Havoline DS is so different than other dinos, I wonder if it's an early look at GF-5. Chevron is cutting edge.

With each new ILSAC/API standard, the standards for the oil outside of ash levels become ever-more stringent in our favour.

I think emissions is pushing towards "ashless" passenger car oils, fuel economy is pushing lower viscosity and highly 'slippery' friction modified oils, and the standards for everything else are pushing improvements for staying in grade, reduced deposits, reduced wear and increased oil life.

I think with the sinking price of group III oils and ever increasing standards, we are going to start seeing group II+/group III become the 'standard' for base oils trying to keep all aspects of performance in check.

So far the hype against the "new" oils has never lived up to the real life performance. I even believe a big chunk (maybe not all, but some) of the scare with GF-4 (even GF-3) has been WAY overblown.

I still remember being new on this board and SM oils had just come out and a majority of the UOA's posted on the new SM oils had shown reduced levels of ZDDP and many showed wear to go up. Us BITOGer's all went into panic mode and decided to visit as many automotive stores and buy all the SL rated oils out there! Now SM rated oils on this board are worshipped. Moral of the story, we are all creatures of habit and change sometimes is harder to accept.

Last edited:
Just like I started with SM and GF-4, I'll continue to use a dash of STP or Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment.

Seal compatibility is interestng. No improvements in wear control is odd.

Originally Posted By: Chris71
Just like I started with SM and GF-4, I'll continue to use a dash of STP or Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment.

"The ILSAC GF-4 phosphorous limits have not changed for ILSAC GF-5 and will likely remain at a maximum of 0.08% wt and a minimum of 0.06% wt."

Why??? Wear controlling additives will remain at the same levels. Everything looks like an improvement to me, especially deposit control. And I like my tail pipe clean.
36.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: deven
SM oils had shown wear to go up.

I don't think that can be proven at all!

Ofcourse it cant. It was just the opinion of many on these boards when they first came out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back