Getting held over a barrel.

So I bring my car into a euro shop that's literally less than half a mile from my house to take advantage of their $90 oil change special. The deal is that you must bring the mailer with the special.

They ring me up saying threads on drain pan came out and they new to tap the pan for a larger bolt. I'm annoyed for sure but I also understand that BMW aluminum pans can give up their threads and I've had around 10 oil changes since new. Having no choice in the matter it's $350 for the new tap. I then go pick up my car and bring the coupon. The coupon is for another shop. I accidentally threw out the wrong one.

The busted threads is lousy. Who did the last few oil changes?

A time sert would likely work, but the kits are, what? $130? And the time to do it.

Hopefully the oil was changed sufficiently to let and debris from the tap flushed out.

That shop would be doing you right if they honored the special anyway. Especially since the threads pulled with their service. Did they show you the oil pan threads and plug?
I don't remember seeing it in their texts. I'll have to look.

Edit: Yes but not a close up with the plug removed. This is the only close up I had. The pan has oil on it because I had a leaking oil filter cap and the oil fill cap was loose. God only knows how that happened.

Attachments

• fd3efb2d4af0475f98646182a79cd599.jpg
    fd3efb2d4af0475f98646182a79cd599.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
The busted threads is lousy. Who did the last few oil changes?

A time sert would likely work, but the kits are, what? $130? And the time to do it.

Hopefully the oil was changed sufficiently to let and debris from the tap flushed out.
Last time was a euro shop who would let me bring my own oil (HPL). I actually watched the guy tighten the plug in that job. He just snugged it up. Prior to it was always the dealer.

The shop used the same AGA repair kit which is also used by BMW dealers.

Reminds of a time when getting a trans rebuilt- the guy pulls a damaged part from his bench and upcharges me $100. I bet he pulled that stunt on every customer.

This would be my main concern. Does the repair kit mentioned by the OP require actually boring out or using a tap to clear/chase the old threads?

I would at least hope they poured something into the crank and let it partially flush out the debris after the repair.

Last time was a euro shop who would let me bring my own oil (HPL). I actually watched the guy tighten the plug in that job. He just snugged it up. Prior to it was always the dealer.

The shop used the same AGA repair kit which is also used by BMW dealers.

YIKES!! $1100!!!!!

YIKES!! $1100!!!!!
Not exactly DIY, but I'm sure compared to removing the oil pan it has saved dealerships and customers a ton of time and money. I watched a video on how it works a couple of years ago. You pressurize the engine by hooking air up to the oil fill cap using the adapter This causes any shavings to get blown out of the pan as the threads are re-cut.

Over the years we have had to repair many BMW oil pans really fairly common as they don't have a lot of threads like many other brands do and really can't say it's from being over tightened as the threads that when they come out feel real brittle compared to threads on other aluminum I have felt.

Back