New Contender Barrel

1691505866850.jpeg

1691505908075.jpeg

This is my Thompson Center Pro Hunter Contender in .308. I've been looking for a barrel in .30-06, and finally found a brand new one from Haus Of Arms. They are big into Contenders. Production of these guns and barrels is no longer. At least for the time being. So I was lucky to find a new .30-06 barrel in the factory sealed packaging.

They also carry a lot of the SSK barrels, that have threaded muzzles for breaks, and picatinny rails already mounted. Eventually I'm going to get one in .223 / 5.56 MM, and scope it out.

This morning I swapped it out, and it fits perfectly. The pin had just the right amount of press. 2 or 3 gentle "taps" with a plastic mallet, and it seated just fine. The action open and closes perfectly.

The new 6th Edition of the Sierra Bullets Reloading Manual lists specific loads for the 15" barreled Contender pistol. It shows up to 2,450 FPS with a 165 grain bullet. Similar to the .308 in the same barrel. But I have a TON of .30-06 brass and ammo.

So I'm anxious to light this up as soon as this heat gets out of here. I may even try some of the CMP Garand ammo I have in it. It's loaded with a little faster burning powder for the Garand gas system. It should work well in the shorter 15" Contender barrel.

I'm guessing the recoil will be pretty much equal to the .308. It's a bit strong with no brake. But it doesn't have all that muzzle blast you get with a brake. I don't like to aggravate other shooters shooting next to me. And our club range can get a bit crowded.

Many years ago I went to an indoor range. Some guy in the next booth had a Contender with a big rifle caliber and scope. Apparently this was the first time he was going to shoot it.

I heard a loud boom, then "Oww, oww, oww" He was bleeding from a circular gash around his eye. Apparently, he fired the gun with the scope right up to his eye, and the recoil got him bad.

Many years ago I went to an indoor range. Some guy in the next booth had a Contender with a big rifle caliber and scope. Apparently this was the first time he was going to shoot it.

I heard a loud boom, then "Oww, oww, oww" He was bleeding from a circular gash around his eye. Apparently, he fired the gun with the scope right up to his eye, and the recoil got him bad.
Yeah I've heard of guys doing that. These handguns require a long eye relief scope. But some guys like to use high magnification rifle scopes on them.

If you're not used to the gun and it's recoil, what you just described is often the result. I've even heard of the gun flying out of the shooters hand. That will mess up a gun and scope real quick.

Here is one in .30-06 with iron sights. I've heard Walnut grips are notorious for cracking on these things with heavy loads.

I was scrounging through some of my knife stuff, and I found this stiletto knife case. It's 16" on the inside, and fits the 15" Contender barrels perfectly. One less thing I have to buy.

1691510511697.jpeg

Back