SPEER GOLD DOT SHORT BARREL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering using .38 special +P Speer Gold Dots in my new Ruger SP101 but am unsure whether I should use the "short barrel" version (135 gr)or regular version (125 gr) for maximum performance--I have a 3" barrel and the "short barrel" version says it was designed specifically for use in 2" barrels and provides ballistics and other test data from a 2" barrel, and the standard version provides ballistics data from a 4" barrel, I'm obviously right in between. Would the short barrel version perform better or worse in a 3" barrel? I'm thinking a 3" barrel might actually slow it down as it appears to have been designed for complete powder burn by 2" of bullet travel, and the extra inch of barrel travel would not be accompanied by ongoing powder burn, effectively slowing it down? Does this make any sense? Thanks all! (the other load I'm considering is the Cor-bon +P 110 gr JHP which puts up great numbers, 1050 fps/269 ft lbs)

I use Winchester PDX1. Mine is 9mm 147GR, but I know they make a .38 special, I think it is 130gr. I like it a lot. Might want to check it out.

Get a box of each (if you can find them) and try them out. Use the one you think performed better. My guess is the short barrel load will.

For what it's worth, when I test different types of ammo, I always use paper plates with spotter dots in the center of them. I mount 1 for each type of ammo, on the target board, about 10 yards out. I use a pistol rest to take as much of me out of the equation as possible. Shoot a load of 1 type at one plate using the dot as your point of aim. Don't worry about hitting the dot, you're looking for the point of impact. load up the other types and use the dot on the other plates as your point of aim. Which ever is consistently closer to your point of aim is the one you want. Best results are when you use a warm barrel for the test.

Last edited:
I'd try 'em both and see what works better in your application. The extra 10gr is nice, but that doesn't mean squat if you can't hit anything with it.

Good luck.

I e-mailed Speer directly and here is their reply:

"If your 38 is +P rated, we would recommend our Short Barrel product for
best personal protection performance. We typically recommend the SB
ammo for bbls up to a max of 4". "

CCI/Speer Technical Services

The short barrel load is loaded "hotter" It will also expand faster and generally will expand larger. It will penetrate 1 to 2 inches less than the regular 125 grain round due to larger expansion. Either choice is good, and it is basically a toss up. You can readily get the 125 grain variety in 50 rd boxes for about the same price as 20 rounds of the short barrel variety so I would probably get the larger box of 125 grains.

You'll probably loose approx 5% of published velocity of rounds fired in a 4" bbl. You'll probably gain approximately 5% of published velocity of rounds fired in a 2" bbl.

Neither of which will make a gnat's arse of difference in the real world.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back