Getting even when neighbors despise each other...

Status
Not open for further replies.
These HOA's people are posting about where the dues cover trash pickup, etc. Are they not part of the city utilities?

These HOA's people are posting about where the dues cover trash pickup, etc. Are they not part of the city utilities?

My HOA is $1500/yr and covers the private street, streetlights, snow removal on the street and mowing/maintenance of common ground. That’s it. I pay the trash company quarterly $85ish for weekly trash and recycling pickup.

All depends.

My HOA covers 'common area' maintenance, which means retention ponds, bike/walking paths, and the berm at the edge of the subdivision to block the sound from the 4-lane road on the other side. The money paid is a bargain because if the city maintained those items, it would cost at least quadruple what we currently pay, and we'd be at the mercy of the city to get things done.

The City 'covers' trash pickup, but that's a different bill sent by the trash company. I guess I'm politely saying that they mandate pickup via the one company.

HOA's are typically located on private property so the members can decide what city/county services they want to use. In any case rural areas by themselves typically don't have gov't trash removal either.

Last edited:
We live on 320 acres, dad built us a motocross track, and trials course. Our 4 dogs are never tied up, we have a fire pit and burn a fire probably 70 or more nights a year in our yard. Swimming pool, hot tub, large deck, helicopter Hangars, garage, and even a creek that runs through our property. Couldn't imagine moving to a city sized lot, and losing all this freedom. Dad runs his business from our backyard, and my friends love coming out here for visits, because almost anything goes when you have hundreds of acres. I see both sides of the argument, its his property, but the neighbors hate him being a collector. Wonder if the neighbors considered moving as well. I bet the old man has some good stories to share, and could be an interesting fellow, if people give him a chance.

"Asking for a friend"

Yeah we have a diagonal neighbor that our next door neighbor complained about, both are about 72 and the diagonal one has bamboo planted at the fence area that encroach to the next door's yard. This really ruined their gardening and they had to hire people to dig out the root that encroaches. He tried to negotiate to have them removed but were ignored, he tried to ask the cities if they can be asked to remove due to being a non native species or pest and there was no regulation on that. I told them, the only way to do it is either to secretly poison the bamboo with roundup, hot steam, or out live the neighbors.
Or maybe, and bear (pun intended) with me on this one. Have you thought of renting a panda from a zoo for the weekend? They like bamboo. Kinda like people using goats to clear out brush.

I'm kinda curious about the neighbors of this thread's original post....who lived there 1st?

My co-worker owns a chicken farm...has 4 grower houses. The land has been in his family for generations. It was 200 acres and was divided 4 ways among the 4 siblings, and they all have chicken farms. Last winter, some "city folk" bought a house on a property that borders his.

If you've been on a farm...especially a chicken farm...you know that summer heat amplifies the aromas of a farm. The place flat out stinks in the warm months. Whenever they sell chickens and the houses are empty, they scoop/scrape the chicken house floor and spread it on their pastures...stirring up even more stench. It comes with the territory...period.

So these city folks have filed complaint after complaint with the county about the odor and noise (chicken feed is often delivered at night. Chickens are often caught at night when sold). The county has repeatedly told them there is nothing that can be done. You moved to a property surrounded by 4 chicken farms...deal with it.

My point is, if the swanky neighbors bought their property....knowing Fred (and his habitat) lived across the street...then they need to pound sand.

I feel bad for the owners of the nice house. Some people must have been born in a barn. Have some respect for those around you! There is no excuse here, it sounds like Fred is physically capable of keeping his house in order. Get the city involved I say!

The way a lot of suburban areas have been developed, even if they are pretty densely populated, they may not be covered by a municipality that handles everything.

I live in a small city, Center Point, on the outskirts of Birmingham, AL, within the same county. It's a large county, with a lot of "cities" surrounding Birmingham, because they don't want to be annexed into Birmingham for a variety of reasons. You can't really tell where Birmingham ends and these other cities begin except for some city limits signage though...and the services offered. My city is small, and was only incorporated in 2002. Previously it had just been unincorporated Jefferson county (which in the 60s-70s was actually the most populated unincorporated area in the US). Why they even bothered to incorporate this part in 2002 I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure it was to avoid higher taxes that would come if it was annexed into Birmingham. The thing is, we pay for everything here. Trash pickup is a pay service through Advanced Disposal, you get a yearly fire department bill, policing is just the county sheriff, etc. It isn't a podunk town though, it's a very suburban area. Birmingham provides its residents trash collection twice a week, has a police department, and doesn't mail you a fire department bill, and now Center Point's sales tax is the same, so whatever advantages were gained from incorporating as a city seem to be a wash to me. I guess being incorporated as a city is sort of like HOA lite in that there's more code enforcement and such than if it was just unincorporated.

Regarding HOAs if you don't like rules then do not buy in an HOA community, nearly 100% of the time realtors will let you know if such a thing maybe not called HOA but similar is in existence and the rules that are included. IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBLITY to ask such questions BEFORE you buy.

If you buy anyway and then are unhappy, MOVE. The neighbors that were there before you moved in obviously didn't have issues before you arrived so do not blame them. Blame yourself.

Same for dogs, you have neighbors who lived there before you moved in and you have a aggressive, vicious, biting dog and you are not willing to control it and keep it away from others and on your own property, expect serious trouble, especially if the law requires you to maintain control of your animal at all times. If it gets near me and I believe it will bite it will be shot. Many of these irresponsible jerkoffs let their dogs run loose and keep threatening people out in their own yards or even out on the street exercising day after day after day, and expect nothing will happen to the animal. It will happen when you least expect it. Our area has a law that if a dog is at large and threatens you if you retreat ( and the animal appears to still be a threat or maybe even not) you can shoot it dead and the county approves of it, and the owner will be charged with having at at large dog, and animal cruelty for allowing it to be a threat to the community.

Same with situations like rural communities, if you are buying it is YOUR responsibility to ask about things like chicken houses, ect.

Pretty sick and tired of people who expect their hand to be held every step of the way through life.

This has become a major problem with race tracks across the country. Several drag strips and oval tracks, built 30+ miles out of the city back 50-60 years ago, have been encroached by sprawl right up to the track's property. People build/buy houses right next to the track, and then they have the nerve to sue the track to be shut down due to noise. Of course the track ends up closed in the end and bulldozed down to make way for more sprawl.

The way a lot of suburban areas have been developed, even if they are pretty densely populated, they may not be covered by a municipality that handles everything.

I live in a small city, Center Point, on the outskirts of Birmingham, AL, within the same county. It's a large county, with a lot of "cities" surrounding Birmingham, because they don't want to be annexed into Birmingham for a variety of reasons. You can't really tell where Birmingham ends and these other cities begin except for some city limits signage though...and the services offered. My city is small, and was only incorporated in 2002. Previously it had just been unincorporated Jefferson county (which in the 60s-70s was actually the most populated unincorporated area in the US). Why they even bothered to incorporate this part in 2002 I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure it was to avoid higher taxes that would come if it was annexed into Birmingham. The thing is, we pay for everything here. Trash pickup is a pay service through Advanced Disposal, you get a yearly fire department bill, policing is just the county sheriff, etc. It isn't a podunk town though, it's a very suburban area. Birmingham provides its residents trash collection twice a week, has a police department, and doesn't mail you a fire department bill, and now Center Point's sales tax is the same, so whatever advantages were gained from incorporating as a city seem to be a wash to me. I guess being incorporated as a city is sort of like HOA lite in that there's more code enforcement and such than if it was just unincorporated.
We do dump runs in Dad's truck, have 2 honda pumps so are our own fire department. A well for water, and sewer lagoon. When it snows I start the loader and plow our 600' driveway, and the yard.

Last edited:
We do dump runs in Dad's truck, have 2 honda pumps so are our own fire department. A well for water, and sewer lagoon. When it snows I start the loader and plow our 600' driveway, and the yard.
Thankfully we don't have to use Advanced Disposal, so I do dump runs myself. Not paying for something I'm going to forget half the time.

This has become a major problem with race tracks across the country. Several drag strips and oval tracks, built 30+ miles out of the city back 50-60 years ago, have been encroached by sprawl right up to the track's property. People build/buy houses right next to the track, and then they have the nerve to sue the track to be shut down due to noise. Of course the track ends up closed in the end and bulldozed down to make way for more sprawl.
It is also a $ thing.

If you are a strip that makes maybe 8k a month, and suddenly someone offer you 100M for your land, you probably would want to sell it asap and build another one 3 hours away too.

It is also a $ thing.

If you are a strip that makes maybe 8k a month, and suddenly someone offer you 100M for your land, you probably would want to sell it asap and build another one 3 hours away too.

That's not what happens though. The track owner will get an offer that's pathetic, something like 70-80% of value. Of course the owner refuses. Then the lawsuits come about the noise and they go to court. The track usually wins, but may have to abide by some curfews.... but the lawsuits keep coming and coming and coming until eventually the track is so buried in legal debt that they have no choice but to close the gates and sell at a loss just to stay afloat.

Airports, gun clubs, a short line industrial railroad someone I know owns....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back