German Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whom here remembers back in the day when everyone here went crazy over GREEN GERMAN CASTROL? Everyone said it smelled like gummie bears. I just thought I would bring it up since we have had this run on Castrol EURO 0W40 oil on here lately.
Ah, the good old days!
smile.gif

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=717807

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718643

How could I forget? I was one of the very first ones to start using this oil. I'm pretty sure I posted the first UOA on it also. At one point I had a stash of about 80L of the stuff, but once they switched over to the gold formula I stopped using it. It truly was a unique oil that had quite the cult following on here!

Originally Posted By: Patman
How could I forget? I was one of the very first ones to start using this oil. I'm pretty sure I posted the first UOA on it also. At one point I had a stash of about 80L of the stuff, but once they switched over to the gold formula I stopped using it. It truly was a unique oil that had quite the cult following on here!

OMG! Did it ever? If you didn't own AT LEAST 1 qt. of it, you weren't cool!
lol.gif

I remember the members here had tether lines (not really, but....) connected to all of the AUTOZONES wanting to know when the next shipment would arrive. And, when it became gold, it seems like interest in German Castrol just fell off of the planet.

Goodness yes...!!!
I even tried it in my 02 TL...
That J32 didnt like it.. seat-of-pants dyno said WAY too thick..
One OCI was enough for me..
wink.gif

J.

I remember. I used to skulk around Autozone late in the evening, during the Metallica-blasting hours, to look for it.

I never could make myself buy any, since I already had a stash of Pep Boys BOGO Mobil 1 thanks to this site. That oil took about 10 years to use up with long OCIs and low miles per year.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Whom here remembers back in the day when everyone here went crazy over GREEN GERMAN CASTROL? Everyone said it smelled like gummie bears. I just thought I would bring it up since we have had this run on Castrol EURO 0W40 oil on here lately.
Ah, the good old days!
smile.gif

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=717807

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=718643

So German Castrol 0W-30 is not to be found anymore in the states?

So what are the next two highest rated 0W-30s, that can be found at oil supply stores like Pep Boys, O'Reilly's, Advanced Auto, Walmart?

Last edited:
I used up my last remaining 2 quarts (from 2003 or 2004?) last summer in my JD 345 (Kawasaki twin).
Switched to Mobil 1 0W40 for a while, now accumulating Castrol 0W40 from Belgium.

GM
Fiat/Chrysler
Ford
Toyota
Honda
Nissan
Hyundai
Kia

Which one of those above recommends or requires 0W-40 oil in their new vehicles shipped / built here in the continental USA?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
GM
Fiat/Chrysler
Ford
Toyota
Honda
Nissan
Hyundai
Kia

Which one of those above recommends or requires 0W-40 oil in their new vehicles shipped / built here in the continental USA?

The top two.

I do remember the green color, then the change to gold:

I also had a bit of a GC stash:

I think at one point I had like 40 qts of it, but returned a bunch of it and sold a lot as well.
I think I only actually used 8-12 qts, and it was one of 3 oil analysis I had done (and an excellent one IIRC).

But I don't remember it smelling anything special?
Or is that just a joke?

Originally Posted By: blupupher
I do remember the green color, then the change to gold:

I also had a bit of a GC stash:

I think at one point I had like 40 qts of it, but returned a bunch of it and sold a lot as well.
I think I only actually used 8-12 qts, and it was one of 3 oil analysis I had done (and an excellent one IIRC).

But I don't remember it smelling anything special?
Or is that just a joke?

SERIOUSLY, yes! A lot of people swore up and down that it smelled like gummy bears! I'm sure PATMAN can vouch for people stating that.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

SERIOUSLY, yes! A lot of people swore up and down that it smelled like gummy bears! I'm sure PATMAN can vouch for people stating that.

Most definitely! It smelled almost good enough to drink
laugh.gif

I was also in this cult, and for some reason the fact that it was made in Germany had a certain cachet. So, knowing what we know today, was it really that good of an oil?

NO, it was the diet Gummi Bears which were used to make GC.....the ones that cause pain and give people explosive diarrhea (aka Put-'em-out-in-a-bowl-at-the-office-party snack)

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
So German Castrol 0W-30 is not to be found anymore in the states?
The gold GC is still available. The original green GC is no longer.

Originally Posted By: harbor
I was also in this cult, and for some reason the fact that it was made in Germany had a certain cachet. So, knowing what we know today, was it really that good of an oil?

I still think it was. Remember when a bunch of us chipped in to have Terry Dyson get it properly analyzed in order to determine it's base oil and we found it used a very ultra trick PAO/ester base oil and that it had no VII in it as well. This oil would hold it's viscosity very well even on long intervals. I was recommending this oil to a lot of people back then and most of them reported less oil consumption and smoother running engines. I saw much lower wear numbers on the UOAs of any car that I switched over to it. And I know that small changes in wear numbers often mean nothing but I saw significantly lower wear numbers personally, so I tend to believe that it truly was an amazing oil. What made it even more amazing was that it wasn't even all that expensive, I was finding it for $5 a liter or less on sale up here back then.

IIRC, German Castrol was one of the first 0W oils
available retail. It was also on the heavy side of the 30
weight.
Good stuff, expensive when not on sale.

My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back