GDI Dominates Ward’s 10 Best Engines List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I'm still watching for a 4 cyl that outperforms the 2.3 DISI MZR turbo as found in my Mazdaspeed3. At 263 HP and 280 lb/ft, it puts out 116.5 HP/L and 121.7 lb/ft/L.. This little dynamo was designed in about 2005 and the market is just starting to catch up. Now, if only Mazda would drop it in a RWD chassis....

Also, this new 4-cyl BMW N20 engine that's on this year's Ward's list delivers 122.5 HP/L and 130 lb-ft/L.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
The thing that surprises me is that only 1 V8 made the list. The fact that it is a Ford 5.0 doesn't surprise me.
grin.gif

And I'm not sure why the Pentastar is on the list. EcoBoost 3.5 should be in that spot.

Why is that? The 3.6L Pentastar is a fantastic engine. It's smooth, powerful, lots of torque, gets good fuel economy. And it doesn't have DI either. It goes to show, Chrysler taking the extra couple years of development on that engine paid off.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
The thing that surprises me is that only 1 V8 made the list. The fact that it is a Ford 5.0 doesn't surprise me.
grin.gif

And I'm not sure why the Pentastar is on the list. EcoBoost 3.5 should be in that spot.

Why is that? The 3.6L Pentastar is a fantastic engine. It's smooth, powerful, lots of torque, gets good fuel economy. And it doesn't have DI either. It goes to show, Chrysler taking the extra couple years of development on that engine paid off.

Because it's nothing special, competitive sure but it's not a standout in terms of performance, MPG, or technology. The EcoBoost 3.5 is pushing more boundaries.

Speaking strictly of port injected N/A V6s, the Mustang 3.7 does everything the Pentastar V6 does only better.

Mustang 3.7 - 305 HP @ 6500, 280 lb-ft @ 4250, 31 MPG
Challenger 3.6 - 305 HP @ 6350, 268 lb-ft @ 4800, 27 MPG

And the EcoBoost 3.5 deserves to be on the list more than the N/A 3.7 does, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I've got two on the list. Not bad.

Which two?

N55 and...

OK, one and a "sort of"... since the LHU is a DI, VVT, FFV variant of the LK9. Actually I was naive in just how big of a difference there is!

Compare curb weights and that Mustang/Challenger comparison seems a bit unfair. Put two or three more big fellas in that Stang and let me know how comfortable they are. We all know the new Stang is a benchmark in bang for the buck, but it rides like a... well, a Mustang.

I am absolutely sure that after a 2 hour ride they would choose the Challenger every time! It's just a very slightly shortened LX (Magnum, Charger, 300) chassis, so it is quite a bit more car.

And BTW, I am from the million mile camp... I want to see each of these engines with 200k miles and factory spec maintenance. THEN we see what makes a good engine. And I do agree the Pentastar is hardly groundbreaking, but it does seem to be a very well executed design.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

And BTW, I am from the million mile camp... I want to see each of these engines with 200k miles and factory spec maintenance. THEN we see what makes a good engine.

Agreed. What good is bestowing awards for technology if there is limited real-world data to confirm if this technology was made to last.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
I'm still watching for a 4 cyl that outperforms the 2.3 DISI MZR turbo as found in my Mazdaspeed3. At 263 HP and 280 lb/ft, it puts out 116.5 HP/L and 121.7 lb/ft/L.. This little dynamo was designed in about 2005 and the market is just starting to catch up. Now, if only Mazda would drop it in a RWD chassis....

VW Scirocco R (2009-)
The Scirocco R is a production model based on the GT24. Its 2.0L TSI engine is rated 265 PS (195 kW; 261 hp) at 6000rpm and 350 N·m (258 lb·ft) at 2500rpm, large air intake openings in the front bumper, an integrated front spoiler, bi-xenon headlights, larger rear roof edge spoiler, black diffuser, dual exhaust with chrome tailpipes, Talladega 18-in alloy wheels.

Because it's nothing special, competitive sure but it's not a standout in terms of performance, MPG, or technology. The EcoBoost 3.5 is pushing more boundaries.

Speaking strictly of port injected N/A V6s, the Mustang 3.7 does everything the Pentastar V6 does only better.

Mustang 3.7 - 305 HP @ 6500, 280 lb-ft @ 4250, 31 MPG
Challenger 3.6 - 305 HP @ 6350, 268 lb-ft @ 4800, 27 MPG

And the EcoBoost 3.5 deserves to be on the list more than the N/A 3.7 does, IMO.

I agree 110%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back