GDI, CVT and turbo = $$ and trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
What does all that mean ?
Why not compare CVT to the 8 speed Dodge currently uses instead of things not related …

In slippery conditions a CVT just does not operate well at all.... It is attempting to "adjust" gear ratio for stupid best "fuel economy" while at the very same time the drive wheels actually need more low end torque/power which the car's need to gain traction and this runs counter to the "best fuel economy" programming in those CVTs.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Some folks find the application of well established technical development scary.
None of the three you mention are new at all, although DI is the most recent.
Mainstream manufacturers known for good vehicles don't build junk.
If Honda wants to offer a DI/turbo/CVT powertrain then I'd say it'll hold up just fine.
Of course, our newest Honda has neither DI nor a turbo nor even a transmission.

Have you paid attention on issues with Honda 1.5T engines? Apparently Honda did not too when other had same issues some 15 years ago.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I've owned three turbo GDI cars and all have provided exemplary performance. The mildly tuned GDI turbo in my 2007 MS3 was running just fine at 158k miles when I flipped it for the 2er. No experience with CVTs- I prefer a car with either three pedals or a ZF 8HP.
The N55 in my F22 returns over 26 mpg in everyday driving and still runs the quarter in the high twelves, so I'm more than fine with that "frightening" modern technology.
19.gif

Not doubting your info at all, but not ciphering mske and model from the codes mentioned. I can relate somewhat to the F22 nickname, as the way Ford shaped the number zero in the huge F-150 stamp on the tail gate of my truck kind of makes it look like F-15D ...

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
I've owned three turbo GDI cars and all have provided exemplary performance. The mildly tuned GDI turbo in my 2007 MS3 was running just fine at 158k miles when I flipped it for the 2er. No experience with CVTs- I prefer a car with either three pedals or a ZF 8HP.
The N55 in my F22 returns over 26 mpg in everyday driving and still runs the quarter in the high twelves, so I'm more than fine with that "frightening" modern technology.
19.gif

Not doubting your info at all, but not ciphering mske and model from the codes mentioned. I can relate somewhat to the F22 nickname, as the way Ford shaped the number zero in the huge F-150 stamp on the tail gate of my truck kind of makes it look like F-15D ...

It's a BMW 2-series.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
19.gif

S
Sorry, I was typing on the run and lapsed into Bimmer Geek mode. The N55 is a 3.0 liter single turbo GDI motor. As Ws6 correctly noted, F22 is the chassis code for the current BMW 2 Series. The ZF 8HP is the ubiquitous 8 speed automatic found in dozens of cars and trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back