Gasoline is going up like crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Gubbermint is printing money, but can't print oil. Guess what happens.
Could the value of the U.S. dollar figure into the rising prices?

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Nuke the Soil, Take the Oil.
crackmeup2.gif
That's so wrong!

price gouging by local fuel suppliers ? We went on a short trip of about 40 miles out of town and seen $2.48 in a small village and then $2.42 in next town about 15 miles away . Here in our city it's $2.32 for cheapest gas . Then at other convenient store at other end of city it's $2.42 . Quite a gap .

Last edited:
Gas outside Toronto is 5 cents a L less than in the big city, even after they pay the 1 cent/L shipping charge to the town because it's far away from the distribution terminal, which is in Toronto.

Producers and sellers should get together and set a reasonable price they agree on. Then keep it there. Stop all this ridiculous up and down [censored]!

small villages that have only 1 convenient store are usually highest . Figure the locals would rather pay their price than travel 10 miles or more for cheaper gas . Gouging . What gouging ? ;- )

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Producers and sellers should get together and set a reasonable price they agree on. Then keep it there. Stop all this ridiculous up and down [censored]!

Producers and sellers like OPEC?

it's at all levels . Got us in a stranglehold . It's either we get more fuel efficient vehicles and change our driving habits or both . Get homes , businesses , schools , gov't buildings more efficient and turn down those thermostats . That way could put them in a sleeper hold . ;- )

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Nuke the Soil, Take the Oil.
. Sure the extremists wouldn't hesitate to do it if opportunity knocks on our doorstep . War ain't what it use to be . VIOLENCE , it's the only thing to make you see sense , great line from MOTT THE HOOPLE's " VIOLENCE " http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ca5eA-uEtw , starts at 5:20 . ;- )

Back in 2005 we decided that we no longer needed the pickup/SUV's even though we live on an acreage and could probably use one on occasion.

My wife went from an SUV that got 17 MPG to a Subaru Outback Sport that gets 30+ MPG. In the 70K miles she's driven it we've saved about $7500 in fuel over the SUV. It's covered the price difference between the Jeep and the price of the Subaru in about 3 years. We paid the difference in cash (about $6000) so there are no financing costs. Insurance is cheaper on the Subaru and license fees are only marginally higher on the Subaru.

I only use about 6-8 gallons of fuel a week, down from 20-30 a week when I thought I needed a pickup. Between working remotely, limiting my trips and combining them when possible I save around 20 gallons a week. That's a lot of money each week that stays in my pocket.

On the occasion I do need to haul something that won't fit in the Subaru or the Caliber I have a small trailer I can pull. That covers 98% of what I need to haul.

On the very rare occasion when my needs exceed the capacity of the trailer I simply rent the truck that Lowes supplies (about $25) or have it delivered (about $50). In the last 3 years I've rented the truck once and had materials delivered twice. The cost was far less than having a pickup for those rare occasions.

I don't pay much attention to the price of gas despite that we live in a rural area. We've gotten smarter about our fuel usage, but we could still cut our current consumption about 25% without much effort if needed.

Want a pickup? Sure, it would be handy from time to time. Need a gas guzzling pickup or SUV? Nope. Haven't for a long time.

Originally Posted By: mikeinaustin
diesel is about 10c less than regular gas here in austin now.

Same in my part of Northern California. Several months ago it was considerably higher than premium. Go figure.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

Want a pickup? Sure, it would be handy from time to time. Need a gas guzzling pickup or SUV? Nope. Haven't for a long time.

I got rid of my GMC S-15 which got about 19 mpg on short trips and 25 on the highway and got a VW diesel wagon that gets 40 mpg around town and 45+ on the highway. Between the roof rack and wagon carrying capacity I haven't needed a truck in over a year. I will eventually, but I can rent or borrow one then.

Reasonable for consumers or for the producers/sellers?

You and I would set it at about $1.50/gallon or less.

They'd settle on $6.00 or more.

Thats not true. I would think anything from 2.00-3.00 a gallon is reasonable. That is higher per barrel price then now. Just set a price and keep it there! I hate all the flucuation in price. It just went up to $ 2.39 here I see.

Make it worth drilling and pumping and make it good for the world economy.

Thats not true. I would think anything from 2.00-3.00 a gallon is reasonable. That is higher per barrel price then now. Just set a price and keep it there! I hate all the flucuation in price. It just went up to $ 2.39 here I see.

Make it worth drilling and pumping and make it good for the world economy.

There are very few cases where price caps, no matter who has imposed them, have worked (remember the price caps in the 1970's?).

"In case after case where price ceilings are imposed, virtually the same series of consequences ensues. . . . A persistent shortage develops because quantity demanded exceeds quantity supplied. . . . An illegal, or 'black,' market often arises to supply the commodity. . . . Investment in the industry generally dries up. Because price ceilings reduce the monetary returns that investors can earn, less capital will be invested in industries that are subject to price controls."

(William J. Baumol and Alan S. Blinder, Economics: Principles
And Policy, 1999, p. 83)

(emphasis added)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back