Gasoline is going up like crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I noticed lately that diesel came way down in price and is barely more than unleaded around here. Must be those big rigs were not running as much.

Around here its more like diesel stayed while gas went up
diesel-75.9 cents a liter
gas-90+ " " "

that what 40-50 cents a gallon?

Gary,
I noticed the same thing too when gas was over $3/gallon. mid and premium were not that much more. when money is tight, I guess people were filling their premium required vehicles with regular.

I've seen this price structure:

Reg 3.09
Plus 3.14
Prem 3.24

Just a matter of time. What's worse is that I see stations anywhere from 2.19 to 2.59 for the same gas...

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Gubbermint is printing money, but can't print oil. Guess what happens.

I was going to say this. All the money the government/the fed has been "printing" is going to be inflationary. I'm not saying we are seeing that yet, but it will eventually drive up the price of fuel as dollars are worth less than before.

More demand, dollars perceived value lower means higher prices.

If you are driving a large V8 when a small 4 cylinder would do the job, you are far more a part of the problem when it comes to higher gas prices than the solution.

I'm not saying you can't drive what you want to drive, this is America. It's even your right to complain if you want. But to put the blame on others when you could cut your personal fuel consumption in half is insanity in my opinion.

Feel free to complain, just don't try to take away my right to poke fun at those who are fueling up their 12MPG Durango they never take off road and the passenger seats are not worn relative to the drivers seat.

I'll keep fueling my 1.6L car and spend my cash elsewhere.

Originally Posted By: hone eagle
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I noticed lately that diesel came way down in price and is barely more than unleaded around here. Must be those big rigs were not running as much.

Around here its more like diesel stayed while gas went up
diesel-75.9 cents a liter
gas-90+ " " "

that what 40-50 cents a gallon?

Gas dropped faster than diesel, but with summer coming, for the first time in a long time, diesel has dropped BELOW gasoline in this area.

In the STL metro east right now (spelled IL) I've seen regular unleaded for either 2.199 or 2.299. I purchased the same grade in MO for 2.079 and did see some 2.069 offerings, but with my Shell Master card, my effective price was about $1.975

I'm going to check out the EIA.gov website for price, stock levels and demand figures.

I wonder if there is a glut of diesel right now, relatively speaking. I think we were importing finished gasoline and exporting diesel before the economy slowed. It's possible that we don't have as many takers for diesel, so that combined with less of that fraction going to home heating oil, diesel prices are down.

For a summary of the state of things on 5/4 peep here:

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/twip/twip_gasoline.html

It may be updated for 5/11 by the time some read this, but as of this writing, it was data from 5/4/09.

I can see we are currently importing just over 1/2 of what we did a year ago when it comes to gasoline. There is more to glean from that snapshot, but I don't have the brain cycles to do it right now.

while at convenient store seen this guy filling up his rust bucket , rough idling pre-90 CHEVY Suburban running the whole time during the fill . Frustrating to think this is a daily occurence across this nation . Only helps to add to the problem . Plus the possibility of an fire . KABOOM !

Originally Posted By: javacontour
For a summary of the state of things on 5/4 peep here:

http://tonto.eia.doe.gov/oog/info/twip/twip_gasoline.html

It may be updated for 5/11 by the time some read this, but as of this writing, it was data from 5/4/09.

I can see we are currently importing just over 1/2 of what we did a year ago when it comes to gasoline. There is more to glean from that snapshot, but I don't have the brain cycles to do it right now.

Demand is only down roughly 4% from a year ago according to that, so coupled with man many more dollars now competing for slightly less inventory then a year ago, and all the news makers saying the economy is possibly bottoming out...........oh, and lots of new dollars needing somewhere to be invested, don't be surprised when crude punches another hole through the roof in the coming years and gas is back over $4 bucks. Doubt it'll happen this year, but next year.

Yeah that and they have to beat last years record profit again!
mad.gif

Feel free to complain, just don't try to take away my right to poke fun at those who are fueling up their 12MPG Durango they never take off road and the passenger seats are not worn relative to the drivers seat.

There are many more reasons to own a truck or SUV than off roading.

There's some good news. And if we cut our consumption another 9% we won't import any more finished gasoline. However most of our crude still comes from overseas.
frown.gif

It would appear our refineries are doing more work (and adding value), so the conspiracy theorists whining about unplanned shutdowns etc don't have much to rant about.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

The only other reason I can think of is to haul stuff. Most of the pick-ups and SUV's I see are rarely hauling around anything more than the driver. These are the same people that will complain the loudest when fuel prices inevitably spike back up to $4.00

I've noticed that people that actual use their trucks for their intended purpose (towing and hauling) are less likely to complain about high fuel prices.

Exactly, but then those would be the folks who may actually NEED an SUV instead of just wanting one.

And as I said, this is America, if you want it, you can have it.

Yet sometimes wanting comes with a price, and I laugh at those who complain about the costs of satisfying their wants.

I would never begrudge them the right to satisfy their wants. But I do laugh at them when they complain that their wants are expensive and they think they have some sort of right to drive 3 tons of vehicle that for 99% of it's life carries nothing more than the owner.

There's absolute economics involved with car selection. It makes little sense for either my wife or I to spend $25k to save $30/week on fuel. Fuel has to be $7/gallon and the cost of some 30+mpg vehicle needs to be the same $25k ..and then it still doesn't work.

Now buying a $600 beater NEON would probably make sense, but that produces its own subset of added expenses that may or may not prove "pound wise" while you're attempting to pinch pennies.

The first oil embargo had people losing thousands on perfectly good cars to save the cost of a pizza a week. $1000 was a lot harder to come by back then and a pizza was easy to buy back them.

What's $40/week more in fuel bills when you spend over $50 inside the convenience store that you bought it from over the same week?

People are going to learn the virtues of driving slowly again. And that a 350 hp SUV used for commuting is not a practical vehicle.

If your perfectly good car is gettin 10 miles per gallon and you can get some value trading it in for a newer car still affordable that happens to get 30 mpg while retaining much of the usefulness, it's a no brainer.

however, trading a paid-off large car that is occasionally used for hauling people and gear for a smaller car that gets 1/3 better fuel economy is a tough call dependent on the situation. Could just learn how to drive the tank more efficiently.

Did you guys look at "gas price temperature map" ? Three Pacific coast states are red, some area are dark red. We pay about 15-20% higher gas price than national average.

Exactly, but then those would be the folks who may actually NEED an SUV instead of just wanting one.

And as I said, this is America, if you want it, you can have it.

Yet sometimes wanting comes with a price, and I laugh at those who complain about the costs of satisfying their wants.

I would never begrudge them the right to satisfy their wants. But I do laugh at them when they complain that their wants are expensive and they think they have some sort of right to drive 3 tons of vehicle that for 99% of it's life carries nothing more than the owner.

what about battler families where the father goes to work, in their only car, a van, that gets 12MPG? he may only need to haul his 5 kids and wife once a month but he still needs the functionality.

I tried to do my part by buying a compact p/u, but the reality is they don't get much better mpg than a fullsize V-6. Once you add ext cab and automatic, there is only about a 3-4 mpg difference. Still it's a 20% difference, but not very noticeable for the miles I drive per year (about 10,000).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back