Gasoline is going up like crazy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't foget that Pres. Obama wants to tax gas as in Europe to get the price to 4.00/gal.in order to reduce driving! He doesn't agree that americans don't want to drive small cars. But we will be forced to, due to increased cafe regs. and limits on CO2. The V-8 is dead! FWIW

this may help persuade those to buy a more fuel effecient car as well . CALIFORNIA wanted to tax those who drive gas hogs , like that is proposed in EUROPE . Or is it already applied abroad ?

Last edited:
We were in the low $1.30's/gallon when the oil bubble burst over the winter. 80 cent/gallon climb in less than 6 months and summer isn't even here yet. If gas hits $3/gallon again, GM can forget about selling SUVs/Trucks, you can put a fork in them for good
33.gif

Last edited:
Lets see...It must be about time to shut down some refineries so we can create a false shortage and then I hear Cuba plans to attack the U.S so that should raise prices and I am sure a hurricane is coming sometime and....on...and on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Diesels have been just over the horizon for as long as I've been keeping track. I figure they're just trial balloons to gauge interest.

What are you talking about? Interest? There's been ton of viable diesels just sitting across the ocean for decades. They've NEVER made it here. It's got nothing to do with interest. There's plenty of interest in pickup trucks with diesels. There's enough interest for VW and a couple of others to still jump through the hoops to allow them to be here.

What's been done is an ever higher bar that diesels must jump over to allow sales. Fuel issues ..this and that.

We don't want them (the producers and regulators). I think GM is just coming out with their throw away diesel next year. Heck, not ONE currently produced diesel, worldwide, could fill the slot. Not one of the multitudes of proven platforms.

Amazing.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Here come the unrestrained speculators .... deja vu all over again.
mad.gif

Wait a minute . I thought that the SEC or whomever placed somekind of restraints on this type of activity.

Oh wait, the foxes guarding the hen house. How foolish of me. :no-no:

maybe this administration shouldn't rule out regulation like that of CHINA before it gets out of hand again and sinks this country further into the abyss of recession . ;- ) We seen regular at $2.42 a gallon earlier . We think it was $2.24 or so earlier in week . Just got 43.04 miles to the gallon in the '08 YARIS sedan with the 4 speed automatic . Not so bad . At least we're somewhat ready for it . I watch the financial stations like a hawk , especially between MARCH and OCTOBER . Helps us to be prepared to get fuel oil at the right time for the better price . Haven't paid $4 a gallon for heating oil thus far . Pays to watch the market . Even if not investing . :- )

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
20 cents in a week! We are paying $2.09/gallon. Am I to expect $3.50 a gallon again this summer?? What is everyone else paying?

Complaining about a 20 cent rise in a week? In the Twin Cities area, we often see gas go up 25 cents a gallon in one day, market wide. This happens as we have one retailer (Superamerica), who happens to own most of its outlets that control a sizeable portion of the market. Everyone else follows their lead...

FWIW, I was passing stations at around 2.15 a gallon today for regular 87 octane E10 (Regular gas in this market - only non-ethanol fuel for sale is premium at some stations only).

changed my oil the other day and with all the talk of 5w20 being ok on these boards i used 5w20 instead of 5w30 this time and i'm gonna use the gas pedal less. i'm scared about the price of oil in the summer the break was good while it lasted

IMO, the next surge in oil prices may well be worse than the last.

A lot of money has been taken out of exploration and drilling, which will take some serious time to get back in.

My wife just reduced her commute from 25mi to 2mi. Mine is down to zero, as I'm working on the place we live in. There is barely any point to owning a car now. Of course, it's a habit and a convenience.

We were spending a combined $500 a month on GAS, $550 on car payments and about $200 on insurance. Now we have one car paid off and a lil rental income from our old place. Gas cost is an unknown for now, I imagine $100 a month should do it for both of us. A net gain, yes. We are taking the strategic moves we need to for the "New Economy" we live in. No way is $1200 on car stuff sustainable. I imagine some people are in WAY more than that.

Has anyone else noticed that the spread from reg to premium is ...

Let me do it this way.

2.19 Reg
2.29 Mid
2.49 Prem

Mid grade is a bargain with the 50/50 split.

Normally, it's a rip off. The same $0.30 spread from Reg to Premium ..but mid-grade would be over $0.15 higher. Like $0.20-0.21 higher.

Now when price volatility was high ..as in advancing, I'd see the span from Reg to Prem compress (to this $0.30 range) ..but when they were in retreat, the span went up to $0.40 with the same bias on mid-grade (disproportionately higher).

was told by a relative that they're parking the tankers off shore with oil to boost the price . Not sure if it's a fact , but wouldn't shock me if it is the case .

come to think of it , why should gas refinery capacity only be at 85 % with the low demand for the past 6 months or more . Should be more like 92% or so . Coincidence ? ;- )

Same reason power stations only run 80-85% demand.

Nobody wants 100%, 100 percent of the time.

When people want 105%, and there's only 100% there, it costs the end user a lot to stay using the 100%.

petrol (and diesel) in my town have been pegged at 114.9 c/L for the last 3 months, NO UPS and NO DOWNS as there usually would be - no price cycle even. don't tell me they don't "fix" the price! they think no one would complain about a reasonable price, but it should really be like $1.05. (or even less. )

Our household gas expenses are relatively low. We don't work far away and live within walking distance of grocery stores, restaurants, bars, etc. We walk whenever weather permits.

No wonder Americans keep getting fatter, most suburbs are not walking friendly! American lifestyles are becoming very similar to feedlot beef raising:

Cows: Diet high in corn and minimal movement(confined in a barn) means a fat, tender cow.

People: Diet high in corn (corn syrup, corn chips, corn oil, corn fed cows, etc) and minimal movement (confined in cars and cubicles) means a fat, tender human!

I noticed lately that diesel came way down in price and is barely more than unleaded around here. Must be those big rigs were not running as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back