gas prices aren't high enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
judging by how people continue to drive, it doesn't seem people are really all that concerned.
the other day I had my doors blown off my an infinitiQX-whatever big SUV, a range rover, and a tahoe, I think, not to mention the diesel pickups that can't seem to travel at less than 80mph.
I'm not driving like granny either; on rt22, a heavily traveled 2 lane in the lehigh valley, PA.

is it that people just don't equate fast driving with how much gas they use? or do people think that if their car is rated 23mpg, for instance, that it just always gets that, regardless of how they drive?
I'd have to imagine that a 6000lb V8 SUV is only getting mid teens at 75mph. if you drive like that, how can you complain about how much it costs to fill the tank?
I just don't get it, I'm trying to get 450mi out of a tank of gas in my camry, and everyone else it seems is trying to see how few miles they can get on a tank...

I suspect if gas hits 5.00 a gallon that would do little to stop anyone from driving anywhere close to the speed limit. Either from poor planning, entitlement, or just plan stubbornness people will not drive slower. You should read some of the local forums around here where there is a two lane curvy highway that is not well maintained at all from here to the next town about 15 miles away. The posted speed limit is 55 MPH and I will set my cruse control to 62MPH and I you would think I was granny with the line of 5-6 cars behind me all passing me at the first chance with very little regard to oncoming traffic. Back to the local forums I have read many excuses to driving in excess of 75MPH on that highway. The best one is that his trucks AFM allows him to use less gas at 75 rather than 60. If his AFM is programmed and it is physically possible, I want that pickup.

Its definitely making a difference with younger crowd. Mom still wants her "safe" (just an excuse) SUV. My son and his friends discuss mileage when they talk about their cars. Something I never thought about at his age.

In real terms, gas is no more expensive than it's ever been:

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/inflation_rate/gasoline_inflation.asp

But what I think happened / is happening is this:

Last time it peaked before the financial crisis, the run up was severe. Pretty much doubling very quickly. People felt it. I noticed the change on the freeways around me.

This time, it's basically gone up to where it was before the financial crisis and from a higher low point. The increase is not as severe and people saw these prices before.

It'll need to hit $5 for things to change again. Most people now accept this new price and the reality is that you spend the same amount of money for the entire family to go to the movies for 2 hours as you do for a week or two of commuting.

That's why most people stopped going to the movies as much as they used to... And spending $ on different things...

And that means going to put $ back into the economy is not happening as much as it used to. It's going to backfire, they just don't know it yet.

Not saying all follow the above... But I have.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mpvue
I just don't get it, I'm trying to get 450mi out of a tank of gas in my camry, and everyone else it seems is trying to see how few miles they can get on a tank...

Why are you worried about how much gas other people burn? I hate to say it but is sounds like some type of jealousy.

Originally Posted By: RedCorvette
It'll need to hit $5 for things to change again.

Now shoosh! Don't tempt the oil gods!
Just wait until Memorial Day and the start of vacation season, I wouldn't be surprised to see gas hit $5 right about then. Then we'll be hearing about how wonderful "staycations" are all over again.

Originally Posted By: shadow7
Rich people making 100k and above doesn't care about gas prices.

100k does NOT make you rich.

Stupid and no understanding of physics makes people prone to integrate stupid practices into everyday life and consider them "normal".

I try and travel as efficiently as I can regardless of gas prices, and also notice all the hoopla over prices and still see people hauling tail everywhere. I guess it's their prerogative. I will be gone so much this year I might only drive 5k miles.

The condition of the economy before the last run up was markedly different from the current one, so if prices continue to rise and remain as such for a while we will see some horrendous trickle down effects.

It is not my business how others drive or how others think about their fuel cost.

But I'd imagine people who buy a $30k SUV factored in the fuel cost and think it is not an issue, so they drive the way they do still at this fuel price.

Now if someone I know buy a 15mpg gas guzzler and then whine about fuel cost, I'd laugh at him/her.

Here is my gas pig. It is my work truck, tow vehicle and my daily driver. 10-13mpg empty. It does everything I need it to do without compromise. I don't like the high fuel costs anymore than the guy with a Pius but I don't whine either.
tanktruck.jpg

ridgerunner,

But you are actually putting your truck to good use with loads like that in your bed. The idiots that drive a big truck just to go to Walmart and pick the kids up from school are the first to complain about gas prices.

Gas prices are starting to drop slowly, 2 cents in the past couple days, we tend to lag behind the rest of the country in terms of gas prices dropping. So I bet here within the next 3/4 days it'll drop by 10 cents or more.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: mpvue

Why are you worried about how much gas other people burn? I hate to say it but is sounds like some type of jealousy.

I don't get what you're saying, I started this thread in response to people complaining about gas prices but they are not driving to reflect that they are bothered by it. it was more me wondering out loud how come people don't drive more conservatively to reflect the higher cost of driving.

what exactly would I be jealous of?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back