Streaming TV billing games and high prices - what services are you using?

Sure are a lot of options now. When I cut the cord over a decade ago Netflix was just about the only game - a few also rans. Now I think I can probably try something new every couple months for years.

Makes you wonder how much really gets spent on content. That industry must be huge.

My wife and her 4 sisters split YouTubeTV the 4k version(unlimited streams) for $115 / 5. Get all the channels we want .

They also have something going with Netflix where we might pay $10/month which I think includes that fee you mention(extra member)

Did someone give away the login you have or you guys forget to log out of TV somewhere ?

When streaming live TV was first getting going, I signed up for PlayStation Vue and that was decent for a while. Then they bailed out and I tried SlingTV. That, at the time, was too limited in their channel lineup for me (it was about 20 channels; they were still pretty new so it was limited).

I moved over to Hulu Live TV, and have been there more or less for years. Yes, even through the price hikes.

My brother had me try his DirecTV streaming and I liked that too, but it costs more for the channels I get with Hulu. He dropped them himself later. I think he got a low price because he got it with his AT&T cell service in a package deal that ended.

I pay for YouTube Premium so I don’t see the millions of ads when watching videos. I’ll pay because I prefer it this way.

But I don’t buy any other streaming that isn’t rolled into something I already have (Disney + with Hulu and Paramount with my free Walmart+ service, for example).

I have DIRECTV Stream and share it with my daughter in Denver and my son in Vero Beach. I have the premier package with all possible channels, all regional sports networks, HBO, Cinemax, Starz, Showtime, MGM+, NBA League pass and of course Dog TV (the dogs actually watch it lol)
I’m a surfer and don’t really have a “favorite” tv show. 50% of what I watch is sports otherwise I just scroll through the guide until I see something that I like. A majority of what i watch is recorded to the cloud DVR so I can speed through the commercials. They are adding 4k and hopefully MLB extra innings soon. The Gemini stream box (it’s not required) is an aggregater so I also have hbomax (now called MAX since they merged with Discovery plus) and prime loaded on the box and can switch between the services with one remote using one input.

Netflix and I signed up for Peacock for this month only to watch the TDF because the weasel beancounters decided to do a money grab. The Tour has always been televised through an already paid for TV channel (YT TV), but after eight stages...you gotta pay unless you wait until the next day, which I didn't know as it is broadcast at 2am...could have recorded it. Once the Tour is done, canceling. It's only $5, but it is the principle. Canceling YT TV has been tickling my brain, too. SO many channels I don't watch. Someone else mentioned Tubi TV. Decent for what it is.

Prime and netflix here mostly for my wife. We've got Prime for other reasons. Our son paid for 1 month of ESPN+ during the college baseball postseason.

Netflex about $15 a month but TMobile pays $8 of it as they pay for Basic Netflex with our cell phone plan we do the optional mid priced plan. Netflex is our main streaming go to source.
Plus streaming and Redbox movie rentals at $5.99 or less a couple times a month. Redbox discs are less than $2.50

Hulu at $1.99 a month one year special which we have had for 2 years as my wife and I switch between each other when the one year is over we cancel then take the new promo in the other name. Usually Black Friday or around that

Our daughter shares her HBO with us and we share Netflex with her. We rarely watch HBO so if it’s ever ended doesn’t matter to us.
If she has to pay her own Netflex at sometime in the future do be it.

Then there is OTA for local network stations still have to set that up at the new house.
Old house had up to 30 channels through an attic TV antenna distributed to five access points in the home.

Odds and ends at any given time of Year Amazon Prime when they have free month around the holidays but we don’t pay for it and cancel once free period is over.

To the OP
I thought I remember being asked to add additional members of the family and we just ignored or canceled it.
There is no doubt in my mind, one of the biggest problems in this country, the way I see it as people do not realize how much money is being siphoned out of their paychecks every month by not staying on top of things.
Corporations know it and that’s why the massive amount of trial periods all linked to your credit card or bank account.
People wonder where the money goes all the time and they don’t realize the dream every month out of their income.

To another poster in here I don’t find this to be troublesome at all, I love keeping track of my expenses, love saving money as a hobby and making sure nobody gets my money, except for those I choose.
I mean why willingly give your income to shareholders of a corporation?
I do understand some people don’t care, but others are completely clueless why they have no money.

Last edited:
dish network is on pause for $5 monthly but will turn on for football or maybe back to direct tv. was thinkin classic cable on my local SECTV BUT you gotta get the internet as well until xtras over a c note. price gouging at its best as i only want pro + college football. lots of stations mean NOTHING as i watch very little TV

I just pay a few bucks a month for Usenet access and use Sonarr and Radarr on a spare PC running Plex. I only turn it on when I want to watch. I can stream Plex from anywhere. Very convenient. And whatever content I want I just “acquire” on Sonarr and Radarr and watch it when it’s done downloading (a few minutes tops)

price gouging at its best as i only want pro + college football.
For decades much of everyone's cable bill was sports, and there was no package without them - by ESPN, et al contract - you wanted sports you had to sell it to everyone. Talk about gouging. Its what pushed the first group (like me) off cable. Now Disney wants to dump ESPN because its a looser, when given a choice many fewer will pay.

Back