Gas Prices Are Going Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the octane rating of the gasoline in and of itself will not affect the fuel economy. There are various ways to affect the octane rating of gasoline but "straight gasoline" with two different octane ratings has the same energy content. Only if your engine is able to compensate by advancing the timing will you get a small improvement in efficiency. But if it cannot do that then a higher octane rating will do nothing for efficiency. It doesn't burn better nor more completely.
That's exactly what can happen in a modern, tiny turbo engine, that it advances the timings if it has higher octane fuel. That doesn't mean it works out from a cost:benefit ratio unless you care about those last few HP, which only matters if you're flooring it... which isn't someone too concerned about fuel economy or vehicle TCO.

Just took a spin around the valley. Cheapest rag I saw was $3.29.
I think I saw a $3.49. Sheesh.
Bump that up for credit card use. Sheesh!

If their was impurities in the gas or if the filter failed and let all the dirt back into the tank.

First, I’m not a mechanic so correct me if I’m wrong here.

The fuel filter traps impurities as they pass through. The filter would fail if there was gross contamination of the fuel which I don’t think we are talking about here. At that point there would be symptoms of fuel starvation to the engine due to the filter being clogged.

First, I’m not a mechanic so correct me if I’m wrong here.

The fuel filter traps impurities as they pass through. The filter would fail if there was gross contamination of the fuel which I don’t think we are talking about here. At that point there would be symptoms of fuel starvation to the engine due to the filter being clogged.
That is correct.

Gas up 50cents here. 2.69 for 87 and 3.49 for 93 on my way home.

even costco was 2.58 for 87

filled up with 93 in columbus ohio for 2.37 last week at costco

In 5 different gas stations around here price for 87 octane went up between 21¢ and 28¢ in last few days ranging from $2.68 to $2.72 per gallon.

I don't think fuel filters see high pressure. Would have to be quite the junk, quite the pump and possibly some old media.

I wouldn't worry about it--I'm sure the injectors will trap anything that makes it past the filter. :oops:

They advertise the cash discount price? Never heard of that.
Both cash and credit. Usually 10 cents per gallon difference.
Some cheapie stations have 3 prices: club, cash, credit.

I hadn't noticed the price rise; I wasn't paying attention.
Gonna hafta use the Tesla more, I guess.

Gas is going up around me, I'm guessing 20 cents this week. Camrys sip it in comparison to the BMWs of yore. I knew prices were bound to rise. This is why I told my wife to buy 4 bangers. I can get 35 MPG cruising at 70. Gas could and probably will, double and still be affordable as my driving dropped off since I retired

Why are gas prices high? I think it was going to happen once people started driving again and heading back to work. And OPEC getting absolutely crushed last year because of the pandemic has caused them not to produce more oil - in fear they will be stuck again if another surge hits - now we have a supply and demand problem. And it doesn’t help that 11 oil refineries shut down in Texas because of the storm.

From what I’ve read, this will probably last throughout spring and into the fall, until it’s proven that everyone/everything will be back up and running like it was before.

That's exactly what can happen in a modern, tiny turbo engine, that it advances the timings if it has higher octane fuel. That doesn't mean it works out from a cost:benefit ratio unless you care about those last few HP, which only matters if you're flooring it... which isn't someone too concerned about fuel economy or vehicle TCO.

We all floor it from time to time, whether we intended to (fun or aggressive driving) or not (getting the hell away from some num nut). As a relatively conservative lot here on BITOG, I would think we’d all run higher octane for that margin to knock, even if it doesn’t always make economic sense UNLESS the turbo is designed and will NOT benefit from anything higher than 87 AKI.

Maybe I’m just used to older EJ-powered turbo Subies that would spin a bearing or break a ring land if you even mentioned 87 octane in its presence! :censored:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back