Gas milage increase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I go into details. Is it possible that my mileage has gone up from my usual trip of 70 miles round trip. I was obtaining between 36 to 38 mpg.

I have done a few things to try to tweak my efficiency of my 09 toyota corolla. First I am using full synthetic. I am currently using Castrol Edge 5w30. I have new toyota air filter installed. I use Shell 87 octane in my vehicle. To the fuel I add either lucas fuel stab. or recently using MMO and a shot of Horsepower, comes in the metal tubes. I run 37 lbs of pressure in my tires which are maxed for 44 lbs. So am I imagning this increase of 4mpg. And if I am, someone better tell the on board computer in the car. I thought maybe it was just I had the wind to my back. But my mileage showed the same comeing back home. Interstate 55 mph and 70 mph

Check your math bro. 36 to 38 mpg is an increase of 2 mpg, not 4. Maybe the stations in your area aren't using winter blend fuel anymore and went back to the summer blend already?

Changes in the fuel formula will to more than anything you've listed. You have a 2009. I doubt that you have dirty valves or clogged injectors that would be cleared by your additives and cause better performance.

sorry, didn't come out right on paper. I average between 36 to 38 mpg. This is what I usually get out of this car. Unless it is raining. Then it slides down.

I am over 42 mpg today.

can the different fuels from winter to summer blend cause that much of a difference in millage?

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
can the different fuels from winter to summer blend cause that much of a difference in millage?

Yes, it absolutely can affect your mpg. MOst people see a significant drop in the fall when ethanol [censored] is added to the fuel.

I think that the motor may be starting to get broke in, and that can increase your mileage as well. Didn't start seeing a jump in mileage on our corolla until the 15-18k range. We now see 42 mpg hiway at 70 mph; drops to 39 at 75mph. OUrs is a 5-speed running Amsoil 0w20, TRD air filter, and Amsoil MTG in the front diff. Also running about the same psi in the tires, and shell or chevron mid grade fuel.

I think without spending a lot more money on a prius, the corolla is a great choice for a good mpg car. If not the best choice for the money. OUr 08 last year brand new was $15k OTD, fully loaded PW,PL,CZ,CD,PM & A/C.

Yep, I have been pretty happy with the 09 corolla. People told me that the electronic steering was bad, but I have gotton use to it. I put 225,000 on my last Nissan. And it still runs. This is my first Toyota. Who knows, I may try a Honda on my next one... Love the imports

Originally Posted By: toyotaguy
Yep, I have been pretty happy with the 09 corolla. People told me that the electronic steering was bad, but I have gotton use to it. I put 225,000 on my last Nissan. And it still runs. This is my first Toyota. Who knows, I may try a Honda on my next one... Love the imports

The corolla's are well known for 400k+ miles on the original trans and engine if well taken care of. One thing that's nice is you don't have a timing belt to worry about. At least prior to 08 you don't; i'm not sure about the 09's as they changed them.

As you can tell, i'm pretty partial to the imports as well.

YOurs a 5-speed?

I have an 07 5 speed corolla. I have tracked every single tank over the past two years and 30k + miles. I purchased the car 3/25/07 so it has just been over two years.

I do see a difference in winter and summer fuels. I noticed this with my last car too. This difference is only about 2-3 mpg.

I have also noted that I see a bigger difference in mpg to driving style/type than gas. Mine seems to be at it's best cruising around 63mph (43mpg). When I first got the car I had a different commute and had a nice solid average of 38mpg. My new commute is even more city/stop-n-go/stoplight idling short trips and I was only getting 33mpg in Jan and feb. The last two tanks have been 35mpg. I have also gotten out of the habit of driving for mpg. My new commute just makes it so hard. I spend most of the time idling at stoplights.

I looked at the Prius, but choose the corolla to be just a work appliance. I couldn't really justify the extra 8,000 dollars just to save 4-5 mpg. Not to mention the higher insurance and taxes. I also feel comfortable working on the corolla.

If somebody wants to give me a Prius I would be happy to do a complete comparison :).

mine is a 4 spd auto. I have to rid myself of these tires that came with the vehicle. They are the firestone affinity. I really dislike these tires. I am leaning towards the Mich or yokahamas.

tire pressure, summer/winter fuel, more careful driving subconsciously, engine broken in all have significant impacts to fuel economy.

Engine cleaners or additives usually don't do much for a newer car.

Stop putting those "Foreign Objects" in your car, and the MPG will increase.

Take the money you spend on useless additives and go buy gasoline with it. Don't count that extra gas in your MPG calculation. You will be amazed at how the cost of additives is robbing you.

It is getting warmer out. That helps a lot with fuel use.

BTW, the '44' on the side of the tire is only PART of a statement. That is all most people see, or consider. Read the whole thing. It includes pressure and weight.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
tire pressure, summer/winter fuel, more careful driving subconsciously, engine broken in all have significant impacts to fuel economy.

Engine cleaners or additives usually don't do much for a newer car.

I can attest to that. Did a "shock" treatment with Redline Fuel System, I think I gained .08mpg i.e. statistically plausible that I stopped for one less red light, and that's about it.

Spend your money on a good top tier gas, and all will be well.

I have 25,000 on the vehicle. Purchased it last April. I drive 80 mi round trip for work. Then my days off I'm driving somewhere. I assume I am past break in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back