Should hybrids be using high moly oil?

My hybrid toyota calls for 0w16. Ive been using 0w20 in the spring summer fall and 0w16 only in the winter. Kirkland 20 and Pennzoil 16.

If toyota oil was cheaper where I am I would probably use their 0w16 year round though due to the high moly.

Would the increased moly benefit a hybrid that starts and stops hundreds of times a day sometimes or is there nothing to worry about?

I am changing my hybrid oil every 5,000 miles and using the dealership to do the free ones. The engine in mine seems to take forever for the exhaust to burn off the water in the exhaust system. It will still emit the white vapor 20 miles down the interstate.

I also just switched from Mobil 1 0W20 Hybrid to Mobil 1 0W16 for the winter months. I initially changed the factory fill and filter at 901 miles. My second oil change was just recently at 5000 miles. Keep changing with a quality oil and filter at 5K increments moving forward and sleep well. Next oil change at 10K will be Total Quartz Ineo 0W20 paired with a Fram TG.

Right now I'm at 6200 miles on this OCI. Most of my cold starts are of the 60-65° variety from the heated garage. Always a longer trip every week. A lot of my trips are 3-5 miles. No turbo or GDI. Wanting to try 8K on the premium oil i am using. At this time the oil has no fuel smell and it not dirty at all.(I know) An exact new fill is going in next. I wish Mobil 1 had more moly, although I imagine they have some secret sauce that works like Moly.

Last edited:
Mobil makes TGMO (high moly) per Toyota’s specifications. However Mobil1 AFE, and similarly Pennzoil Platinum, have significantly less moly. If it was something to be overly concerned with, I’m sure more moly would be in both of the latter offerings.

I prefer to go with 0W20 during the winter in my hybrid to offset potential dilution which is more likely to happen in colder weather. Both 16 and 20 are 0W rated so the winter ratings are identical. If you are not worried about dilution then why not just use 0W16 year around and keep life simple?

I would go with the Pennzoil over the Kirkland. I don't know that a case can be made for pricey Toyota 0W20. I would point out that a spanking new, properly running car in Alberta has no "comprehension" what the temperature is outside. The engine gets to operating temperature and stays there winter or summer. Totally agree with other folks advocating a 5,000 mile OCI, which will help a heck of a lot more than chasing specific additives because of start/stop function.

Wouldn’t hurt I guess. But I wouldn’t worry about small things like this as oil formulations change all the time. You won’t even know if your “high moly” oil still has high moly by your next oil change.

72,000 miles on my RAV4H using 0w-20. My oil doesnt even change color util after 5,000 miles. You guys are wasting your money.
Wasting money on what? The Mobil 1 Hybrid 0W20 oil is acouple bucks more than Mobil 1 0W16. How about elaborating????

Last edited:
Wasting money on what? The Mobil 1 Hybrid 0W20 oil is acouple bucks more than Mobil 1 0W16. How about elaborating????

Relax.

My comment was directed to the people changing their oil at 5,000-6,000 miles. Toyota says 10,000. To my original comment, my oil doesn't even begin to change color until after 5,000 miles.

Back