FWD vs RWD mowers

JHZR2

Staff member
I’m maybe thinking about a self propelled mower. I’m not sure we need it but I think it may be good for some of what I mow.

I’m looking at toro recycler and super recycler mowers, and I started with the idea that a RWD personal pace was the gold standard. Granted it’s heavy and expensive compared to a regular push mower that I’ve always used. But the personal pace handle is giant and doesn’t get good reviews. It’s like a stroller handle and there’s another below it.

The other concern is that I need to be able to change directions very fast and easily, and I take it that the personal pace doesn’t work that well with that.

My in laws have a recycler fwd stow away type and the handle is much smaller, and the fwd can be completely disconnected all the time. Thus it pushes easily and reverses readily. The handle is much smaller and it’s 10lb lighter than the RWD personal pace.

Looks like this:
IMG_6991.jpeg

Versus this:

IMG_6992.jpeg

It’s just something I’m used to versus not. And I’m not sold on the absolute need for any propulsion.

My real interest in propulsion is clawing its way up a hill. Not sure if RWD pushing up vs FWD pulling up makes a difference.

The on/off of the fwd mower my in laws have is pretty nice and simple. And if it isn’t fast enough on flat ground, I’d just declutch and push normal. Is that the case on the personal pace?

Is the fed system the same as RWD just in the opposite location? Is it less robust? I can’t imagine there’s much difference, these things are belts and pulleys and some cheap gears.

So what’s the pros and cons of fwd vs RWD mowers? I’m surprised they sell both frankly…

Rear wheel drive is the better choice if you have hills. Same as MParr - I've had both, and much prefer the RWD mower.

I have a many years old Toro Super Recycler. Its been rock solid - no issues to date, and can handle thicker, heavier, and damper grass than any other mower I've used and still successfully mulch. Its not the greatest bagger, but I didn't buy it for that.

On the personal pace, some like it, some hate it. I'm in the love it camp and it works well for us. I've never felt the need to go faster than what the personal pace will allow - and don't know that I've ever found that limit.

rwd is better if you need the propulsion esp on hills.

fwd is much better for changing direction. you just lift up a little when you turn around

to me the 10lb is huge.. a light mower is a joy to use vs a tank of a mower ie old snappers etc.

Last edited:
My previous mower was a basic MTD brand FWD self-propelled mower similar to the Toro pictured above. FWD is fine for flat yards and is much more maneuverable compared to my current RWD Toro Super Recycler. However, I bought the super recycler for its improved mulching ability, larger engine, and aluminum deck. Personally, I think the Toro "Personal Pace" system works well.

My previous mower was a basic MTD brand FWD self-propelled mower similar to the Toro pictured above. FWD is fine for flat yards and is much more maneuverable compared to my current RWD Toro Super Recycler. However, I bought the super recycler for its improved mulching ability, larger engine, and aluminum deck. Personally, I think the Toro "Personal Pace" system works well.
My yard has some narrow areas, short hills that are really steep, and spots that I need to push in/pull out of. I’m worried that the inability of the personal pace to freewheel quickly and easily (no spring assist) is going to make it a difficult operation…

My yard has some narrow areas, short hills that are really steep, and spots that I need to push in/pull out of. I’m worried that the inability of the personal pace to freewheel quickly and easily (no spring assist) is going to make it a difficult operation…
After owning non-self propelled push mowers for most of the time we have been at our house, I ended up with a self propelled this year. I do find it more cumbersome when dropping the self propelled to turn its around, maneuver around stuff etc. I happen to have a couple of feet with a steep(ish) slope that its is a pain to pull back up (versus go down the hill and push back up) when I overshoot.

short hills that are really steep
I doubt the self-propulsion will make much difference there, whether FWD or RWD, in that case. The tires don't have that much traction to matter so you'll still be pushing or helping it along. If the rest of the yard is pretty much flat, FWD is easier for maneuvering.

You probably won’t find one at Lowe’s or Home Depot.
Nearby Lowes has a half-dozen gas mower models to pick from, with ~50 available. Home Depot only has (2) models to pick from but have (26) units in stock between the two.

I bought my fancy FWD Craftsman out of ignorance not even knowing or paying attention about RWD availablity, and now it makes total sense. If I knew I had the choice it would have been a boxer AWD or full time 4wd ;)

I mow about 3 hilly acres. The main tool is a Deere X304, with a Greenworks 80-volt electric for close work. The electric does a nice job -- don't underestimate it. I've never had it bog on a reasonably well-tended lawn.

Toro has a battery-powered, self-propelled mower that has that self-stow feature you asked about in another thread. From what you describe of your yard, you don't need to use the push mower much. It has the simpler handle design, not the PP one. It's pricey though....

Agree on the RWD being better for hills.

Not a fan of personal pace, but i didn't find backing up to be an issue with it.

I suppose Honda was the only one with hydrostatic drive?

If i were looking i would be looking for a blade clutch vs engine shutdown everything you reuse the bail.

Toro has a battery-powered, self-propelled mower that has that self-stow feature you asked about in another thread. From what you describe of your yard, you don't need to use the push mower much. It has the simpler handle design, not the PP one. It's pricey though....

Not interested in electric. I do battery engineering as a duty professionally, so I’m not anti- battery, I just like my gasoline OPE.

It takes about 30 minutes of mowing with a push mower to do my yard fwiw.

Not interested in electric. I do battery engineering as a duty professionally, so I’m not anti- battery, I just like my gasoline OPE.

It takes about 30 minutes of mowing with a push mower to do my yard fwiw.
As others have mentioned, RWD is a general favorite. One thing of note, there are FWD mowers where the entire axle rotates. This, coupled with the tall, not yet mowed grass, means that it can "wrap" up the tall grass around the front axle. Leading to frustration.

The Toro's can be a bit more draggy to pull backwards. Letting off the handle before coming to a stop and reversing can help some.

Also, the "personal pace" mechanism is mostly a weird handle. I think the non personal pace ones have a similar basic belt drive and I know speeds can still be modulated by "go lever" position.

In the end, I like my commercial Snapper with Ninja mulching blade the best of all my mowers. It is not fancy, but it flat out rocks.

SNP_CommHiVac_FB_Durability.jpg

As others have mentioned, RWD is a general favorite. One thing of note, there are FWD mowers where the entire axle rotates. This, coupled with the tall, not yet mowed grass, means that it can "wrap" up the tall grass around the front axle. Leading to frustration.

The Toro's can be a bit more draggy to pull backwards. Letting off the handle before coming to a stop and reversing can help some.

Also, the "personal pace" mechanism is mostly a weird handle. I think the non personal pace ones have a similar basic belt drive and I know speeds can still be modulated by "go lever" position.

In the end, I like my commercial Snapper with Ninja mulching blade the best of all my mowers. It is not fancy, but it flat out rocks.

SNP_CommHiVac_FB_Durability.jpg
The Snapper Ninja commercial mower is the absolute best of the best. However, it might be hard finding one.

Ditto on the RWD for hills, for maneuverability --- FWD all day. Have owned both and still wish I had my FWD Lawn Boy that the deck rotted away after 20 years.

The Snapper Ninja commercial mower is the absolute best of the best. However, it might be hard finding one.
As I mentioned in another thread, that Snapper mower is so good, I'm willing to pay (maybe they are as much as $300) for a replacement commercial deck. The commercial decks are thicker, and make for a rock solid platform.

FWD self propelled mowers are built cheap to sell cheap, that is why all of the inexpensive self propelled mowers are FWD. All of the better and more expensive self propelled mowers are RWD, ALL of them. That should tell you a little something about the quality of mower you are looking at. In addition to not doing well on hills, you don't want to bag clippings with a FWD mower.

Last edited:
Back