FWD vs RWD mowers

I would agree in principal. However, "just tipping the mower on to it's rear wheels" is a whole bunch more effort than releasing my thumb to disengage the drive lever on my Snapper, LawnBoy or Toro mowers.

I will admit that the Toro takes more effort to pull backwards. Due to the drag created by the gear on the wheel driving the capstan backwards. The Snapper is easier in 100% of the conditions I've encountered and it's differential leads to zero turning drag in any conditions.
You have to tip the mower back anyway to change row directions.

I used my Toro SR for mowing lawns. RWD

It's not hard to change direction or go around obstacles

The drive system is pretty smooth and robust

RWD is awkward. You are constantly having to disengage the drive system everytime you change row directions where FWD you just tip the mower back getting the front wheels off the ground.
I never thought of that. I've always used the clutch/throttle lever so fluidly when mowing that I don't think I realized what I was doing to maneuver until you said that. Before that I only had push mowers. I went self propelled because the mower I wanted had it and I figured it might be helpful with the big hill in my backyard. If anything the fact that it is self propelled might be the one thing I don't like about it. It doesn't really help with the hill and seems unnecessary beyond helping me maintain a pace.

Ok so I am familiar with the Toro Recycler model, FWD.

This is dead simple to engage, or to totally NOT engage which quite possibly may be more often my tact. Super simple:

View attachment 173381
I can go forward and back super easy, inclusion of FWD, or not, is totally optional. The push bar is a standard metal item that’s simple. They make a stow away model that I’d like since my shed is taken over by bicycles…

Compare to the ginormous handle on the personal pace, which seems to give no room but to use it.

View attachment 173383

I don’t think with personal pace I could disable the drive if I wanted to for maneuvering.

I was able to get a photo of the drive system on the FWD unit. I can’t tell how it would be any different or less robust than a RWD unit.

View attachment 173387

So weight and balance aside, I can’t see how the fwd system is less robust or more complex. Is just a belt and a little gearbox.

I would understand that the fwd setup is only one speed, but the fwd mower is 10lb lighter than the RWD for some reason, and it’s easy to push with no propulsion if I want to go fast. I’ve mowed with no propulsion for the last 16 years…. It’s not something I need.

That said, if the fwd won’t claw its way up the hills, and is an impediment, that’s a consideration. Might as well stay with a simple push only mower, or get the red super recycler.

The made in Mexico side of it bothers me too.

If the snapper setup is better, maybe I should go pick this up:

View attachment 173393
My Toro Personal Pace was super easy to maneuver and would go uncomfortably fast if I wanted it too. Only reason I got rid of it is I went from a quarter acre to 2 acres. The best way I can describe is simply an “assist” while trying to mow around stuff. Loved it.

My Toro Personal Pace was super easy to maneuver and would go uncomfortably fast if I wanted it too. Only reason I got rid of it is I went from a quarter acre to 2 acres. The best way I can describe is simply an “assist” while trying to mow around stuff. Loved it.
So you could immediately pull it backwards from a moving forward condition, without any resistance?

So you could immediately pull it backwards from a moving forward condition, without any resistance?
I one handed it most of the time pulling it back, there might have been a little bit of drag but nothing that made me go “wow, this sucks!”

Ok so I am familiar with the Toro Recycler model, FWD.

This is dead simple to engage, or to totally NOT engage which quite possibly may be more often my tact. Super simple:

View attachment 173381
I can go forward and back super easy, inclusion of FWD, or not, is totally optional. The push bar is a standard metal item that’s simple. They make a stow away model that I’d like since my shed is taken over by bicycles…

Compare to the ginormous handle on the personal pace, which seems to give no room but to use it.

View attachment 173383

I don’t think with personal pace I could disable the drive if I wanted to for maneuvering.

I was able to get a photo of the drive system on the FWD unit. I can’t tell how it would be any different or less robust than a RWD unit.

View attachment 173387

So weight and balance aside, I can’t see how the fwd system is less robust or more complex. Is just a belt and a little gearbox.

I would understand that the fwd setup is only one speed, but the fwd mower is 10lb lighter than the RWD for some reason, and it’s easy to push with no propulsion if I want to go fast. I’ve mowed with no propulsion for the last 16 years…. It’s not something I need.

That said, if the fwd won’t claw its way up the hills, and is an impediment, that’s a consideration. Might as well stay with a simple push only mower, or get the red super recycler.

The made in Mexico side of it bothers me too.

If the snapper setup is better, maybe I should go pick this up:

View attachment 173393
If you're willing to do a little tinkering, I'd go for that one. Check the deck for rust, and the wheels for smooth rolling and no excessive play. Can be replaced tho.

You are concerned about something that is not a "problem". There hasn't been any pull-back resistance on any of the RWD Toros since the first Recycler came out in the early 90's. Go to the store or OPE dealer and try it for yourself.
I finally had to break down and purchase a new mower (while I still can, I'm not going for battery powered). My 30 year old aluminum deck Toro Recycler is finally on it's last legs (it still runs, cuts, and pulls, but has a worn-out engine and deck, even the aluminum decks won't last forever). I settled for a Toro 21462 RWD steel deck Recycler and had to order it because nobody had this model in-stock. I didn't purchase a Super Recycler because I didn't want to spend $800+, and at my age I don't need a mower that will last 30 years. The 21462 has the 163 cc 7.25 ft-lb engine but no "SmartStow". I don't need the SmartStow and didn't want to spend the extra $100 for the privilege of having it, and the bigger engine is necessary if you want to mulch taller grass, a 140 cc or 150 cc engine is not going to be strong enough.

Last edited:
You are concerned about something that is not a "problem". There hasn't been any pull-back resistance on any of the RWD Toros since the first Recycler came out in the early 90's. Go to the store or OPE dealer and try it for yourself.
I finally had to break down and purchase a new mower while I still can. My 30 year old aluminum deck Toro Recycler is finally on it's last legs (it still runs, cuts, and pulls, but has a worn-out engine and deck, even the aluminum decks won't last forever). I settled for a Toro 21462 RWD steel deck Recycler and had to order it because nobody had this model in-stock. I didn't purchase a Super Recycler because I didn't want to spend $800+, and at my age I don't need a mower that will last 30 years. The 21462 has the 163 cc 7.25 ft-lb engine but no "SmartStow". I don't need the SmartStow and didn't want to spend the extra $100 for the privilege of having it, and the bigger engine is necessary if you want to mulch taller grass, a 140 cc or 150 cc engine is not going to be strong enough.
The reviews for recycler personal pace indicates that it is an issue. There’s no proving loaded arm apparently to remove it.

Unfortunately testing a pristine mower at a shop isn’t necessarily a good indicator of on my hill in a few years.

But I have access to a fwd recycler on pretty bad terrain and know the fwd controls are less bulbous and large, and they release with a rapid fling back. And I can easily reverse it.

In the end I just don’t want to spend $700 to regret my purchase when it’s dubious that I really need a propulsion system at all. My push mowers have been fine. I won’t turn down a little assist but it’s a 30lb heavier mower…

I do want longevity and smart stow. I will use it 30+ years and my kids’ bikes aren’t getting fewer or smaller in my shed.

Last edited:
The reviews for recycler personal pace indicates that it is an issue. There’s no proving loaded arm apparently to remove it.

Unfortunately testing a pristine mower at a shop isn’t necessarily a good indicator of on my hill in a few years.

But I have access to a fwd recycler on pretty bad terrain and know the fwd controls are less bulbous and large, and they release with a rapid fling back. And I can easily reverse it.

In the end I just don’t want to spend $700 to regret my purchase when it’s dubious that I really need a propulsion system at all. My push mowers have been fine. I won’t turn down a little assist but it’s a 30lb heavier mower…
I gave you MY review, and I have had one for 30 years. I have a fair amount of landscaping and trees in my yard, and I have used it year around where I live. There is no pull back issue.

I gave you MY review, and I have had one for 30 years. I have a fair amount of landscaping and trees in my yard, and I have used it year around where I live. There is no pull back issue.
Yeah I understand that. It seems that the recent ones have some challenges. This is one of a few I’ve seen on it:

My expertise with these is minimal. And it’s a big purchase to regret or need to sell at a loss if I don’t like it.

Thanks for your insights!

I love my Honda RWD with thumb drive. Works well on tight turns and up steep hills. Love that thing but alas it is probably personal preference type of thing. It’s second nature to me.

I love my Honda RWD with thumb drive. Works well on tight turns and up steep hills. Love that thing but alas it is probably personal preference type of thing. It’s second nature to me.
Thumb drive would make more sense to me. Or something like this.

IMG_7076.jpeg

Of course then it isn’t assist under a personal pace scenario. That one is one speed I think.

Yeah I understand that. It seems that the recent ones have some challenges. This is one of a few I’ve seen on it:

My expertise with these is minimal. And it’s a big purchase to regret or need to sell at a loss if I don’t like it.

Thanks for your insights!

If I run into this problem on my New Toro (I haven't so far) I will install a light return spring on the belt/clutch mechanism under the cover. Problem solved. It won't be the first time that I have had to "re-engineer" something that the manufacturer didn't get quite right.

If I run into this problem on my New Toro (I haven't so far) I will install a light return spring on the belt/clutch mechanism under the cover. Problem solved. It won't be the first time that I have had to "re-engineer" something that the manufacturer didn't get quite right.

Seems like it has somewhat to do with the new round handle which I’m not a fan of. Besides the reviews, it’s just a very clunky and larger than needed thing. I kind of like the much simpler use it… or not… second bar handle of the fwd.

For my other property I picked up one of these:

IMG_8041.jpeg

Starts easy, runs nice. Had it in some very high grass and I could bog it down and even stall it, it’s only 3.5 hp, may need a bit of tuning up. Rolls really nice both directions with drive disengaged. But it’s fun for what it is. Not for at my house though, I still need to figure that out.

For my other property I picked up one of these:

View attachment 176777

Starts easy, runs nice. Had it in some very high grass and I could bog it down and even stall it, it’s only 3.5 hp, may need a bit of tuning up. Rolls really nice both directions with drive disengaged. But it’s fun for what it is. Not for at my house though, I still need to figure that out.
Get a tachometer and make sure it is running at 3200-3400 RPM. I've seen plenty of lawn mower engines even brand new that are running at 2800 or less, and will stall immediately when put into tall grass. Most are set lower than the top engine speed of 3600 for blade safety standards, but over time the governor springs can get weak and they run even slower.

Get a tachometer and make sure it is running at 3200-3400 RPM. I've seen plenty of lawn mower engines even brand new that are running at 2800 or less, and will stall immediately when put into tall grass. Most are set lower than the top engine speed of 3600 for blade safety standards, but over time the governor springs can get weak and they run even slower.
Furthermore, the air vane governor on these older B&S engines do not respond as quickly as the mechanical governors do.

I have 2 walk behinds at present. A '88 Toro 20622 3 spd RWD Beast. The Lawnboy 4 stroke, has a personal pace and is only a little less beastly. When I feel nostalgic, I mix up a batch of 2 stroke fuel and pull out the Lawnboy pusher, a 7073 with a steel body and F series engine. :cool:

I have 2 walk behinds at present. A '88 Toro 20622 3 spd RWD Beast. The Lawnboy 4 stroke, has a personal pace and is only a little less beastly. When I feel nostalgic, I mix up a batch of 2 stroke fuel and pull out the Lawnboy pusher, a 7073 with a steel body and F series engine. :cool:
That Toro 20622 has the 5hp Suzuki OHV 4-cycle engine, one of the best engines ever used on a lawnmower! You can convert that mower to a recycler by adding the deck kickers, blade & accelerator, and recycler discharge chute & plug bringing the mower up to modern day standards. The Toro part number for the entire kit is 82-9172 or kit #59173 (https://www.ebay.com/itm/275692358639). This will give you one of the best mulching mowers ever made and is capable of mulching 9"+ tall grass with ease (I know, I have done it).

Last edited:
Back