Full Synthetic for ATS V

I'd go to M1 0W-40 and call it a day, but I'd have no issues running Red Line 5W-30 or HPL 5W-30 or Driven LS30 if you're looking for something that's more specifically geared towards racing/heavy duty oils.

go with redline u can't go wrong its a super top notch oil and has a hths of 3.7.i would even consider 40w oil for track.

Originally Posted by avi1777
plus I would highly recommend instaling a good oil catch can.

Yes, I started fabbing one up this weekend.

Luckily the stock PCV system is really good but everything helps.

I know people are saying go with M1 0w40, more so it's a lighter 40 weight that breaks down to a thicker 30 weight. But still people grab that because of the price point, not saying it's a bad oil, there's better oils, but for the price? Not many match it. It's great for its intended use and UOAS here will show you that.

But you're driving hard, tracking and money is no object. Grab the Redline 30 weight non dex and enjoy. I would run 30 weight redline twice then send it for a UOA to get a better idea on how it's holding up. If it's not to your liking bump up to the 40 and call it a day.

Originally Posted by Averroes
I know people are saying go with M1 0w40, more so it's a lighter 40 weight that breaks down to a thicker 30 weight. But still people grab that because of the price point, not saying it's a bad oil, there's better oils, but for the price? Not many match it. It's great for its intended use and UOAS here will show you that.

But you're driving hard, tracking and money is no object. Grab the Redline 30 weight non dex and enjoy. I would run 30 weight redline twice then send it for a UOA to get a better idea on how it's holding up. If it's not to your liking bump up to the 40 and call it a day.

I am leaning that way, going to reach out to Redline and see if they have any experience with the LF4 engine. Starting with the 5W30 and analyzing if it needs the 40 weight.

No problem paying the Redline price for 7 quarts.

also, I forgot

welcome2.gif

Originally Posted by Averroes

You might find this thread enlightening if you think that M1 0W-40 will under-perform compared to Red Line 5W-30.

I would run the Corvette M1 0W-40 Dexos 2 oil.

1) GM approved Dexos for a gas engine Vette
2) Recommended for track days

should be good enough for any GM engine. I would run it in my LS3, but that engine development and debut predates Dexos, so I am not convinced I even require that certification. The Euro M1 version may go in my crankcase.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ammolab

should be good enough for any GM engine. I would run it in my LS3, but that engine development and debut predates Dexos, so I am not convinced I even require that certification. The Euro M1 version may go in my crankcase.

I like Dexos D1G2 in a GDI especially a Turbo but I'm not all convinced it's really a needed spec for a LS with conventional port injection.

Originally Posted by Gene K

I like Dexos D1G2 in a GDI especially a Turbo but I'm not all convinced it's really a needed spec for a LS with conventional port injection.

Thats the thing, I was thinking the Corvette M1 0W4 ESP which is Dexos2 spec would be good but is there a lot of calcium in it?

I believe they reduced calcium as a detergent for the Dexos1Gen2 because of LSPI issues. I couldn't find any information of calcium for the Dexos2 specs, maybe you guys would know? GM obviously isn't concerned about LSPI with their supercharged big displacement engines just not sure if my turbo 3.6L falls into that catergory....

No issues running a 40 weight if analysis proves whatever 30 weight I use is breaking down, just not sure if the Dexos2 spec is an issue.

I sent an email to Redline asking these questions, has anyone tried to reach out to Mobil 1 and if so are they responsive to customer questions?

Thank you all for the insights and recommendations, all appreciated. Spending 15 years in the automotive world, I find there is always something to learn...

Originally Posted by cadillactech
Originally Posted by Gene K

Thats the thing, I was thinking the Corvette M1 0W4 ESP which is Dexos2 spec would be good but is there a lot of calcium in it?

I believe they reduced calcium as a detergent for the Dexos1Gen2 because of LSPI issues. I couldn't find any information of calcium for the Dexos2 specs, maybe you guys would know? GM obviously isn't concerned about LSPI with their supercharged big displacement engines just not sure if my turbo 3.6L falls into that catergory....

No issues running a 40 weight if analysis proves whatever 30 weight I use is breaking down, just not sure if the Dexos2 spec is an issue.

I sent an email to Redline asking these questions, has anyone tried to reach out to Mobil 1 and if so are they responsive to customer questions?

Thank you all for the insights and recommendations, all appreciated. Spending 15 years in the automotive world, I find there is always something to learn...

Normally 40 Grade is allowed a higher Phosphorus level by API since it would be expected to burn off at a lower rate. I wouldn't be surprised if ACEA and GM are applying the same thought process to the 40 grade Corvette Oil. I'll admit I haven't been following it though because the only vehicles I might use a new 40 Grade in is conventional port injected.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danimal1q2w3
Amsoil Signature Series 0w40 is my vote!

Sorry forgot to quote you....

What experience do you have with this oil and what engine?

Thank you!

Any one have good experience with any Motul oils?

The 8100 EcoLite meets Dexos1Gen2 specs and I have heard(but not verified) their 300V oil is a good track oil [censored] the Dexos spec.....

Thanks!

the eco lite is a fine oil and has an hths of3.3 which is high for a sn,d1g2,ilsac gf5 street oil but thats what it is,a street oil.
the 300v is one of the very best,dosnt fall from redline in my opinion but lacks a lot of detergents for dd car so u need to take that under account.
if its my car and im tracking it redline is the way to go.
dont over think it u will loose your mind like all of us here,just get the redline and u wlll be safe in every aspect of driving,dd and racing.

redline will give u all the protection u need and more and will keep your engine very clean.
plus i dont think a 3.6 liter engine suffers from lspi as far as i know,and i might be wrong,lspi happens in smaller engines.

Last edited:
it may not carryover but GM released a bulletin for the 2.0 Turbo engines that highly recommended/required a low calcium motor oil to combat LSPI (as recommended elsewhere in this thread) and named Mobil 1 as an oil that met or exceeded their standard (of course GM currently has a marketing agreement with Mobil oil)...further, it has been reported here and elsewhere that the AC Delco Ultraguard oil filters are made by a different manufacturer and may be less desirable than they once were...

I have always been a fan of Mobil 1 oils as well as the AC Delco Ultraguard filters (at least since 2001) and have been using both on the GF's 2013 Malibu 2.0T with no issues to date...the PRVs are different between the regular Delco filter and the Ultraguard reportedly...

I also understand this may not carryover completely to your use for your ATS and its turbo 3.6 but you have access to more information about what the General recommends for your application...I'd be surprised if it will be anything beyond the standard filter and M1 5w30...

good luck with your ride...I'd bet it's a nice one...

Bill

Last edited:
Back