Additive fallout in AC DELCO 5W30 DEXOS 1 GEN 2 OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was slow at work and I had a few oil changes to do. Went to PM a Impala calling for 5w30 DEXOS oil and when I poured some from the 200 gallon plastic tote, noted some additive fallout in container. I filled container up, re set oil life monitor and grabbed a cup of coffee. 10 minutes later after I filled the car up I saw the additive fallout.

Interesting as when I put some fresh 5w30 oil in and sloshed around it took a good while for the additive stuff to dissolve back in the oil. Oil is AC DELCO 5W30 DEXOS 1 GEN 2 by the way.

20190207_062726.jpg

So all of your additives will sit in the bottom of the oil pan. Decent way to cheat if all your additives collect around the drain plug and when you do a UOA you get these additives coming out to make it looks more stout than it really is.
smile.gif

I know they dont do that on purpose but....conspiracy theory>>> HMMM

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Is the pump dirty?

No pump on the tote. It has a brass valve with handle
to allow us to fill the 9 quart pourable jugs we use

Last edited:
Wow, it almost looks like dirt. How long does the 200 gallon tote last? It almost looks as if it needs something to mix it before using it. It makes me glad I use bottled oil and shake it before pouring it.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Wow, it almost looks like dirt. How long does the 200 gallon tote last? It almost looks as if it needs something to mix it before using it. It makes me glad I use bottled oil and shake it before pouring it.

I'd say it will last 2-3 weeks as does the 0w20 AC DELCO Syn we use for GM vehicles except Cadillac.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by demarpaint

I'd say it will last 2-3 weeks as does the 0w20 AC DELCO Syn we use for GM vehicles except Cadillac.

Thanks for the info. I would have thought it was a lot longer than that judging from the solids in the container.

How do you know it's not gunk from the shop?
Around here guys are known to cover open containers like this with a shop rag in an effort to prevent contamination.
Then they go around the shop and fill a machine oiling resevoir and then discover after the fact that gunk from the rag fell into the oil jug.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by Imp4
How do you know it's not gunk from the shop?
Around here guys are known to cover open containers like this with a shop rag in an effort to prevent contamination.
Then they go around the shop and fill a machine oiling resevoir and then discover after the fact that gunk from the rag fell into the oil jug.
crazy2.gif

I doubt the OP would have posted it w/o checking the container for junk first? But it looks like junk that might have been in the container, at least that's what I would have hoped.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
Why is this even an issue?

Looks similar to what I have seen time to time in virtually every brand. Shake the heck out the oil before you put it in...what doesn't dissolve (most if not all will) floats around and eventually dissolves...or gets caught in the oil filter

Originally Posted by s2krunner
Really from oil? Not from your engine?

I cant edit my post so. Nevermind of my early post.
This remind me when i removed my turbo from EVO with Rotella T6 year ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by tenderloin
Originally Posted by y_p_w
Why is this even an issue?

Looks similar to what I have seen time to time in virtually every brand. Shake the heck out the oil before you put it in...what doesn't dissolve (most if not all will) floats around and eventually dissolves...or gets caught in the oil filter

Well yeah. It's a tiny fraction of what used to be dispersed in the oil. I thought that a little bit of additives precipitating out was normal in the bottle/jug/barrel.

Sure a little heat and it will probably go right back into suspension, but I'd think the manufacturer would consider this normal and nothing to be concerned about.

I'd like to see those particles smashed on a flat hard surface, maybe even a grind guage. I wonder what the particle size of this stuff is. It it's too big and in fact doesn't redisperse then what the...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back