Additive fallout in AC DELCO 5W30 DEXOS 1 GEN 2 OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Wow, it almost looks like dirt. How long does the 200 gallon tote last? It almost looks as if it needs something to mix it before using it. It makes me glad I use bottled oil and shake it before pouring it.

X2, always shake the oil before pouring in
11.gif

Originally Posted by dave1251
I've seen the same thing with every oil brand I have usrd. It must not be an issue.

I haven't ever saw it with Super Tech or Harvest King oils

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I've seen the same thing with every oil brand I have usrd. It must not be an issue.

LOL Adam does that mean cheaper is better!

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Probably more like cheaper oil has lower additive levels and therefore can't fall out of suspension.

I can't vouch for that but the HK 5W20 has definitely slowed consumption in the ole Camry
wink.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

LOL Adam does that mean cheaper is better!

HK oil is definitely cheaper than ST oil.

I did not see any of this when I did my last oil change with Valvoline Advanced. Bottom of the jugs were super clean, no signs of any fallout.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

I did not see any of this when I did my last oil change with Valvoline Advanced. Bottom of the jugs were super clean, no signs of any fallout.

Good point Zee. The totes are in shop which is usually 75F~ most of the time

Last edited:
... The totes are in shop which is usually 75F~ most of the time
Fine, but they might've been exposed to low temperatures en route from factory to your shop (assuming they arrived fairly recently).

Last edited:
If temperature plays a part in the fallout and that oil was used in a car, would the additives just mix back into the oil through circulation and rising temperature when in use?

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
If temperature plays a part in the fallout and that oil was used in a car, would the additives just mix back into the oil through circulation and rising temperature when in use?

No. Not necessarily. If (and it's a very big if!) that black gunk has dropped out of fresh engine oil, my money is on it being Moly for two reasons.

First, all of the oil soluble Moly additives (ie NOT molybdenum disulphide) I've played around with are deeply, densely black in colour. They're the only additives like this. VIIs & PPDs are colourless. ZDDPs are a nice clear straw colour. Metallic detergents tend to be oak-brown. Ashless dispersants tend to be reddy-brown. The mish mash of common AOs tend to range from clear yellow to pink.

Second, oil soluble Molys aren't necessarily that soluble. Try and blend just 0.5% of Moly into 99.5% base oil and you can whack it up to whatever temperature you like, and stir for as long as you like and it will point blank refuse to go into solution! The trick to getting Moly in solution is to always blend it in the presence of ashless dispersant. It then goes in a treat!

However what you can definitely do in the lab doesn't always translate to what happens at a commercial blend plant & you do have to be very careful. Certain additives have what you might call a 'creeping appetite' for solvency. You blend the oil and it looks great. However these additives, slowly, over time, 'claim' more of the solvency reserve of the oil. In this situation, the least soluble additive component, gradually gets 'pushed out'. If that component happens to be Moly, then you have a problem...

(Guessing) Oil addtives do crystalize in the oil jugs, sooner or later, from non-use. No hardening to the normal everyday driver, unless you only run the engine every once in a blue moon. I shake my jugs before I pour and my vehicles get driven at least every 3-4 days.

Vehicles that only get driven monthly should be idled for a few minutes before using the gas pedal. Oil specs may only occur with certain formulas. Hard to say if that formula is 1% or 99% of all oils. I've never read a study on this.

This is a good question for multiple oil makers. Let them tells us the pros and cons of additives forming as crystalized particles - then settling on the bottom of jugs from non-use.

If they dissolve when squeezed between our fingers, then they will dissolve when coming into contact with engine parts. So no harm done.
But let an oil guru tell us that, not any Joe, Tom **** or Harry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back