AC Delco full synthetic Dexos 5w 30

Hmmm.... even though I don't have a recent model GM product, use DEXOS1 licensed 5W30 syn-blend in my Subaru because 1. Jug of it is cheap at Walmart and 2. DEXOS licensing tells me it's high quality . . . even though it's Quaker State which some people bash (even though QS is part of SOPUS since whenever).

I looked on ebay and the cheapest was 10.99 or the 3.99+6.95 shipping. My dealer charged me $6.09 with the tax included for a quart to top off

Originally Posted By: johnachak
I looked on ebay and the cheapest was 10.99 or the 3.99+6.95 shipping. My dealer charged me $6.09 with the tax included for a quart to top off

I would deliver a flaming bag of poo to his doorstep. That quart cost him next to nothing because it's in a big drum in he back.

It's made by ExxonMobil. It's going to be as good as a synthetic oil gets. Plus you're getting free oil changes. What are you still thinking?

What dealer Paul Conte or East Hills chevy ???? . I took my 13 Malibu there one time for the $7 hr oil change . Had me wait for over two hours. You can't beat the deal because they charge $9 for the Delco PF64 oil filter at the parts counter.

Here is the MSDS for the ExxonMobil ACDelco dexos1 5W-30, probably not the latest full-synthetic version though. You can't go wrong with the company who makes the TGMO 0W-20 SN.
wink.gif

http://www.jbco.com/_SDS/Acdelco Dexos 1 5W-30.pdf

I was just wondering how good. I've been buying mobil1 at wally world for my wife's Caddy. I was wondering how it compares.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
I was just wondering how good. I've been buying mobil1 at wally world for my wife's Caddy. I was wondering how it compares.

From my experience I know ExxonMobil TGMO 0W-20 SN performs very well. I don't expect the Mobil 1 to perform better. In fact Mobil 1 0W-40 SN performed worse than ExxonMobil TGMO 0W-20 SN (link). If you're getting the $7 ExxonMobil ACDelco 5W-30 dexos1 Gen 2 deal and you prefer or don't mind someone else changing your oil (I do mind), there is no reason to hesitate.

For $7, I can put up with it. When I retire out of town, I'll go back to doing it myself. The filters on the Traverse are a pain in the back side. I can tell they changed it by the oil dripping off the cross member.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

From my experience I know ExxonMobil TGMO 0W-20 SN performs very well. I don't expect the Mobil 1 to perform better. In fact Mobil 1 0W-40 SN performed worse than ExxonMobil TGMO 0W-20 SN

But this other guy, with the same name, told me that his older car benefits from a thicker oil

That said, my 31-year-old engine runs like brand-new on M1 0W-40 SN and I can't be happier. It's the best oil I've used in this engine. These older engines especially benefit from higher oil pressure (resulting in further-reaching piston oil jets) and higher oil-film strength (resulting in less friction and wear in critically lubricated areas) of thicker oil as well as the all the many benefits of a quality synthetic.

Ref:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4140683/1

Last edited:
Well, I had written that only about a week after I started using the M1 0W-40 SN for the first time. It was an initial-excitement effect. It became obvious later that the performance and fuel economy was suffering with the thicker oil. UOA later showed that the wear was better with TGMO 0W-20 SN as well.

There is nothing wrong with changing your mind over time after field tests. In fact if you aren't changing your mind, you aren't going anywhere.

11.gif

There is nothing wrong with changing your mind over time after field tests. In fact if you aren't changing your mind, you aren't going anywhere.

I must agree with that.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Get it changed, bring the car home, take a sample. The TBN should be pretty close along with everything else. An oil analysis can be your investment towards $7 oil changes.
I would be all over that deal without any "proof" oil is "good". The synblend on PQIA looks better than any big boy oil out there, including synthetic. If it is half as good, I may start keeping an eye out for it.

I submitted a virgin sample to Blackstone. I put it in the mail yesterday (12/13/2017). I don't know how long it will take to them to get back to me. I used the quart I bought from the dealer for top off.

Last edited:
Update... The dealer upped the price of the oil and filter change with the full synthetic and Delco filter to $39.99. I think that's still reasonable since they charge people that didn't buy their car there $89. My car takes 6 quarts.
John

Last edited:
Back