Full Synthetic for ATS V

Originally Posted by silversport
it may not carryover but GM released a bulletin for the 2.0 Turbo engines that highly recommended/required a low calcium motor oil to combat LSPI (as recommended elsewhere in this thread) and named Mobil 1 as an oil that met or exceeded their standard (of course GM currently has a marketing agreement with Mobil oil)...further, it has been reported here and elsewhere that the AC Delco Ultraguard oil filters are made by a different manufacturer and may be less desirable than they once were...

I have always been a fan of Mobil 1 oils as well as the AC Delco Ultraguard filters (at least since 2001) and have been using both on the GF's 2013 Malibu 2.0T with no issues to date...the PRVs are different between the regular Delco filter and the Ultraguard reportedly...

I also understand this may not carryover completely to your use for your ATS and its turbo 3.6 but you have access to more information about what the General recommends for your application...I'd be surprised if it will be anything beyond the standard filter and M1 5w30...

good luck with your ride...I'd bet it's a nice one...

Bill

I was not aware of the change made to the Ultraguard, was it just a change in the PRV?

Originally Posted by avi1777
the eco lite is a fine oil and has an hths of3.3 which is high for a sn,d1g2,ilsac gf5 street oil but thats what it is,a street oil.
the 300v is one of the very best,dosnt fall from redline in my opinion but lacks a lot of detergents for dd car so u need to take that under account.
if its my car and im tracking it redline is the way to go.
dont over think it u will loose your mind like all of us here,just get the redline and u wlll be safe in every aspect of driving,dd and racing.

I know I will loose my mind, once I signed the papers on this car I started to loose it!

Gene referenced a thread about a Corvette owner using Redline and having a high lead content in his UOA until he switched to 0W40 Mobil1. Now it was not completely scientific or proved that the Redline oil was the cause or that the lead was actually from the bearing wear and not from the Redline cleaning out accumulated lead in the engine, but a curious thread anyway.
Any thoughts?

This 3.6L TT has titanium connecting rods, any oils I should stay away from due to the Ti rods?

Originally Posted by cadillactech
the eco lite is a fine oil and has an hths of3.3 which is high for a sn,d1g2,ilsac gf5 street oil but thats what it is,a street oil.
the 300v is one of the very best,dosnt fall from redline in my opinion but lacks a lot of detergents for dd car so u need to take that under account.
dont over think it u will loose your mind like all of us here,just get the redline and u wlll be safe in every aspect of driving,dd and racing.

I know I will loose my mind, once I signed the papers on this car I started to loose it!

Gene referenced a thread about a Corvette owner using Redline and having a high lead content in his UOA until he switched to 0W40 Mobil1. Now it was not completely scientific or proved that the Redline oil was the cause or that the lead was actually from the bearing wear and not from the Redline cleaning out accumulated lead in the engine, but a curious thread anyway.
Any thoughts?

This 3.6L TT has titanium connecting rods, any oils I should stay away from due to the Ti rods?

It's not proof that Red Line caused the high oil, certainly. However, it is proof that you don't have to run an oil that costs twice as much to get the same level, if not better, protection. This is coming from someone who has no qualms buying Red Line, Amsoil, HPL, Driven, etc. Buy and use whatever makes you feel better, but there's not going to be a drastic difference in engine performance/wear between Red Line 5W-30 and M1 0W-40.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Originally Posted by cadillactech

Any thoughts?

It's not proof that Red Line caused the high oil, certainly. However, it is proof that you don't have to run an oil that costs twice as much to get the same level, if not better, protection. This is coming from someone who has no qualms buying Red Line, Amsoil, HPL, Driven, etc. Buy and use whatever makes you feel better, but there's not going to be a drastic difference in engine performance/wear between Red Line 5W-30 and M1 0W-40.

Well said....

Either way, since this car is going to see hard use/track days, I'd recommend keeping an eye on things with UOAs. You don't necessarily need one every time you change the oil, but enough to establish a pattern and keep an eye on how your engine is doing.

Originally Posted by JustN89
Either way, since this car is going to see hard use/track days, I'd recommend keeping an eye on things with UOAs. You don't necessarily need one every time you change the oil, but enough to establish a pattern and keep an eye on how your engine is doing.

I was planning on doing on on the first change when I try whatever new oil I decide to use and then each one after that to monitor. Will definitely post them up and get everyone's input.

Originally Posted by silversport

I was not aware of the change made to the Ultraguard, was it just a change in the PRV?

...my understanding is that the Ultraguard filter has had a change in manufacturer in the last year as has been reported with Mobil 1 and other filter manufacturers...hopefully it is still a top choice filter but I was hoping you might have better access to if this is true with your GM connection...

Bill

...my understanding is that the Ultraguard filter has had a change in manufacturer in the last year as has been reported with Mobil 1 and other filter manufacturers...hopefully it is still a top choice filter but I was hoping you might have better access to if this is true with your GM connection...

Bill

As I said in my filter post, I am going to try and cut one open and maybe get some more information from ACDelco.

I hope it is still a good filter too, I can't imagine they skimped on the media but we shall see.

According to the GM dexos website there are no Red Line products with a dexos license.
Their professional series is a rebranded Kendall which meets the spec, or so I am told. The good Redline doesnt meet the Dexos spec but looks like LSPI isnt a problem with this oil, has a high ZDDP add which helps keep the LSPI down. Still looking for a VOA on the Redline to see the Calcium content. If it is under 1500PPM I will run it.

Back