Fuel shortage

We are feeling the effects here in Florida. Everyone ran out of fuel today, as I was driving around this evening I saw a tanker pull in to the Shell station we exclusively use. (Station previously out of gas). I went home for 30 minutes then drove back in the Jetta hoping to fill up. Sure enough the place was packed! I was able to fill up eventually (with 87, bummer! First time the Jetta has seen 87 octane). She will be fine I know.

So when is this supposed to end?

Is this related to the pipeline that got hacked? I haven't had a chance to really look into that...what happened?
Indeed. I heard “it should be back up in 3 days”. Well that was a few days ago, now we are hearing “it should be back within a week”.

We are feeling the effects here in Florida. Everyone ran out of fuel today, as I was driving around this evening I saw a tanker pull in to the Shell station we exclusively use. (Station previously out of gas). I went home for 30 minutes then drove back in the Jetta hoping to fill up. Sure enough the place was packed! I was able to fill up eventually (with 87, bummer! First time the Jetta has seen 87 octane). She will be fine I know.

So when is this supposed to end?
What part of Florida are you in?

I heard today the company is hoping to be pumping fuel by Friday, but that isn't a guarantee.

I heard today the company is hoping to be pumping fuel by Friday, but that isn't a guarantee.
I sure hope so! A few of our family members will be on the road by next week (hopefully) and will need the fuel to get on the road!

I think its overreaction by consumers; we feel the pinch too here in Atlanta area

IMG_4727.jpeg

At first the fuel shortage was due to a lack of truck drivers. This has been made worse with the pipeline hack. The worst thing people can do is to start hoarding fuel. I went thru something similar in 2017 when AMLO ( the pres of mex) shut down fuel pipelines to stop theft, then realized PEMEX had 5% of the necessary trucks in operation to move fuel. Mexico city (population 22M) had severe shortages and people where limited to 10liters but it only lasted 3 or 4 weeks. Don't panic and if possible plan your trips to avoid unnecessay trips.Hopefully it wont last too long.

So do you fill up your cars in case they don't get it up soon or do you go about your life blissfully unaware and can't get gas when you're on E?

I know what I'd do and don't care what you call it, I call it proactive.
In our cars half full may as well be empty. I try and keep them topped off. I was able to fill up the Taurus and Jetta this evening. I just filled up my Accord a few days ago and have only put 17 miles on this tank of gas, so it is nearly full. I may keep topping them off over the week if fuel is available as we will need a full tank of gas by next weekend.

So do you fill up your cars in case they don't get it up soon or do you go about your life blissfully unaware and can't get gas when you're on E?

I know what I'd do and don't care what you call it, I call it proactive.

I'm not hoarding fuel. I filled up the Mustang this morning only because it was down to a 1/4 tank and actually needed gas. I saw people there with multiple 5 gallon jugs. I wanted to slap them. I have a trip out of state coming up on Friday so I am parking the Mustang until then so I don't have to worry about filling up again. The Tahoe still has 3/4 tank that'll last a couple of weeks, even with it being the only vehicle. Worst case, the Nissan has a full tank from when I filled it up 2 months ago. I can start driving it.

People panic buying fuel is no different than panic buying toilet paper. If everybody would just stop panicking, avoid driving or running the vehicle if not necessary, conserve what fuel they have, everything would be just fine. Instead, they're sucking gas stations dry which means trucks that need to deliver goods can't hardly find fuel, fire and ambulance services are forced to limit how they use what fuel they have, local police are cutting patrol operations to save fuel, farmers are in a pinch to get fuel for tractors and harvesting, etc... all because Karen and Chad are hoarding fuel.

I can't wait to see all the Karens and Chads hording diesel because it was the only thing available at the pumps, only to find out that doesn't work in their cars.

I remember people doing that after hurricane Katrina. I also remember passing their broken down vehicles a 1/4 mile down the road.

Not changing habits. We tend to fill up in the hometown … get the car wash discount + print code … make the round trip … Then let the car wash remove the Texas road bugs. Rather support my home town store anyway …

Same, but we’re currently unaffected. I’m sure people will be rushing out the next few days up here though.
I mean I didn't fill up because of the shortage, but because I had 1/8 of a tank lol. Although I usually fill up at around 0 miles range so I guess I was feeling a bit like a prepper.

I know they are sending some of our fuel down there. 3 of the 4 here have almost full tank. Cobalt has 3/4 of one. I’m more worried about my lawn mower having fuel then my cars.....

Back