BP Fuel Comes To Central Pennsylvania

Is there any real truth to this? I know that I see the same tanker truck go to the Mobil station, the convenience store and the BP station (all within a block of each other).

Around here the tanker trucks all get their gasoline from this facility or another one like it:

1701613714654.png

I was told that all the fuel here in the Northeast was “generic”. It is refined down south and the individual refineries have to “buy” time on the pipeline so all refined gas becomes mixed in the pipes on the way to the north. Only when it gets to the companies distribu centers do they add proprietary additives.

Is there any real truth to this? I know that I see the same tanker truck go to the Mobil station, the convenience store and the BP station (all within a block of each other).
True!

Over fifty years ago, gasolines differed by brand. But since the EPA began regulating the formulation of gasoline, it is virtually impossible to blend gasoline that differs by brand, other than the additives that are added above the EPA required minimum.

So yes, all gasoline by octane grade is "generic" other than the additives.

There used to be substantial differences. I started my career at a major oil refinery in the late 1960s.

I was told that all the fuel here in the Northeast was “generic”. It is refined down south and the individual refineries have to “buy” time on the pipeline so all refined gas becomes mixed in the pipes on the way to the north. Only when it gets to the companies distribu centers do they add proprietary additives.

That is how they do it round me. There are two main pipeline terminals and 90% of the stations get filled from there. Any additives are added as they fill the tanker.

I'd use the non-top tier BP fuel without much reservation.

That being said, their stations here are all franchise locations, meaning its like a box of chocolates - some may be nice, some meh, and some terrible. These days, most are already on their way to the terrible status around here. Run down, outdated, etc... (BP, Shell, and Marathon all fit in this category here)

The Amoco name was killed and then resurrected by BP in recent years to offer franchise owners another nameplate and the opportunity to sell gas under different branding when they have locations near each other. It was remarkable when BP decided to kill off a well known brand in the Central US (Amoco) and rebranded to BP...

Lastly, the source of your gasoline is wholly dependent on your geographic location. If its all pipeline sourced, etc... then yes, there is liklely little difference by brand.

In this market, there are two local refineries, and a dedicated brand pipeline - and supply agreements with certain brands. Testing in the past confirms this is the case in this market. Statements about how EPA standards make all gas the same are not exactly correct - they may be the same in terms of meeting the testing requirements, but the ingredients/formulation can be very different.

(For those who are wondering about the sourcing, Speedway gets its gas in this market from the Marathon Saint Paul Park refinery, Holiday from the Flint Hills Pine Bend (Rosemount) refinery, and BP has a dedicated pipeline from Whiting IN to a terminal in the Twin Cities. Historically, BP also owned a refinery in Mandan, ND that has a pipeline to the Twin Cities terminal that receives product from Whiting, but through a series of sales is now a Marathon refinery. Testing has shown very different makeup of regular gas from the three sources)

Yes, there was a thread started from a tanker driver member some years ago here and breaksdown the name-brand vs no-name gas station distribution.

By me is an ExxonMobil refinery, a Citgo refinery, and across the border in Indiana is a BP refinery

BP is the only source of 93 octane fuel around here. Unfortunately, they are very proud of it and get a $.60 "premium" for it.

BP is the only source of 93 octane fuel around here. Unfortunately, they are very proud of it and get a $.60 "premium" for it.

That's all? Here in central WI the local Citgo had 87 for $2.779 but E0 premium was $3.639.

BP is all I use mainly because of the .15 cents off per gallon when using the BP credit card. I haven't had any problems with their fuel and have been using it for a few years now. That fifteen cents off per gallon sure adds up over time.
I'd probably have no reservations using the fuel, hesitant to aquire another credit card which effects your credit score. I would rather have a "gas" card like I do with Shell, ExxonMobil & Sunoco. I always pay my gas cards off when the bill comes. The BP Visa has an APR over 30%, I'd pay in full, but still that's scary. Worked very hard to have a credit score over 830 and more cards can effect that. Shell has a similar MasterCard with a similar deal, I stuck with my gas card/rewards for .05 cents off. I understand the concept, get you to incur debt, they make money.

BP is British Petroleum. A world wide company of a scope similar to Shell or ExxonMobil. Parent company of Castrol. Took over Amoco.

They refuse now to pay tribute to license a "Top Tier" label. Only fly by night brands really need this label to establish their legitimacy.

It is absurd to think that their fuel is crappy.
bp is now Beyond Petroleum. They changed it a number of years ago. They are buying wind and solar farms in preparation for a less carbon driven economy. Top Tier is marketing company that extorts money out oil companies through license fees to use a catchy important sounding title, nothing more IMO.

They are rare in PA. I'm in Eastern PA. There's a local mom & pop store that is a BP. Near Maple Grove Raceway. No other BP for many miles around.
I remember as a kid in the late 80s early 90s Texacos being Everywhere! Then poof they all became Shell stations. Now Shell has disappeared and apparently Cum n go, Conoco, circle k, and now Murphy's express are the norm. Of all of them my car idles and runs much worse on Murphys no matter where I get it from.

I'd use the non-top tier BP fuel without much reservation.

That being said, their stations here are all franchise locations, meaning its like a box of chocolates - some may be nice, some meh, and some terrible. These days, most are already on their way to the terrible status around here. Run down, outdated, etc... (BP, Shell, and Marathon all fit in this category here)

The Amoco name was killed and then resurrected by BP in recent years to offer franchise owners another nameplate and the opportunity to sell gas under different branding when they have locations near each other. It was remarkable when BP decided to kill off a well known brand in the Central US (Amoco) and rebranded to BP...

Lastly, the source of your gasoline is wholly dependent on your geographic location. If its all pipeline sourced, etc... then yes, there is liklely little difference by brand.

In this market, there are two local refineries, and a dedicated brand pipeline - and supply agreements with certain brands. Testing in the past confirms this is the case in this market. Statements about how EPA standards make all gas the same are not exactly correct - they may be the same in terms of meeting the testing requirements, but the ingredients/formulation can be very different.

(For those who are wondering about the sourcing, Speedway gets its gas in this market from the Marathon Saint Paul Park refinery, Holiday from the Flint Hills Pine Bend (Rosemount) refinery, and BP has a dedicated pipeline from Whiting IN to a terminal in the Twin Cities. Historically, BP also owned a refinery in Mandan, ND that has a pipeline to the Twin Cities terminal that receives product from Whiting, but through a series of sales is now a Marathon refinery. Testing has shown very different makeup of regular gas from the three sources)
Marathon bought Ashland oil’s refineries also.

I think you may be thinking of the one in Lorton off Terminal Rd. That's much closer to Springfield than the one on Pickett Rd which I think is actually in the city limits of Fairfax.
We always called that area Springfiel. Where is the one in your picture?

Well, bit the bait, BP credit card is on the way. Station is right near me and on the way to work, right now they are $3.45/gal, lowest in the area, with the. 30 off for 60 days, then .15 thereafter, worth a try. It's a nice clean hi-volume station with new pumps. Speedway has the highest prices in the area.

bp is now Beyond Petroleum. They changed it a number of years ago. They are buying wind and solar farms in preparation for a less carbon driven economy. Top Tier is marketing company that extorts money out oil companies through license fees to use a catchy important sounding title, nothing more IMO.
BP was never "Beyond Petroleum"; this was just a slogan that was used when they reinvented their brand early in this millennium but the company name was never "Beyond Petroleum". It used to be "British Petroleum" but now it is officially just "BP".

Well, bit the bait, BP credit card is on the way. Station is right near me and on the way to work, right now they are $3.45/gal, lowest in the area, with the. 30 off for 60 days, then .15 thereafter, worth a try. It's a nice clean hi-volume station with new pumps. Speedway has the highest prices in the area.

Ours is the same, BP is now the cheapest and speedway is the most expensive, even more than Shell.

Back