Think I may have solved fuel dilution problem in our '18 CRV

The Ford tire debacle was caused by the PR folks. The PR folks wish for a softer ride and Ford upper management let them override the engineer's recommendation. The was clearly stated on the website. I will try to find the discussion if I can, later.

Not sure where I read, but probably here on BITOG, that thicker oil seals the piston better to the cylinder wall, therefore less blow by? Could be wrong.
We're talking about fuel getting into the oil, not oil getting past the cylinders. I can't see how the type of oil would affect fuel dilution.

I think the theory is Honda TGDI engines respond to pre-ignition by enriching the mixture first, then retarding timing. If that’s the case, 87 octane could make the issue worse. But who knows? There are millions of these things out there running 87 with few reports of failure or short life span. Unlike some others…
This is how my VW responds to knock driven by fuel quality issues (mainly winter blends) - richens mixture to cool things down as it pulls timing back. This is based on logging.

It's an issue with direct injection engines, especially turbo charged ones. Google 'direct injection fuel dilution' for more details. It's also called oil dilution.
I know. I'm just wondering if you know how the fuel is physically getting from the combustion chamber into the oil.

Last edited:
We're talking about fuel getting into the oil, not oil getting past the cylinders. I can't see how the type of oil would affect fuel dilution.
^This is the statement I'm getting at with my previous post.

I'm guessing by "oil getting past the cylinders" you meant oil getting past the piston rings. Because that's exactly how unvaporized, and therefore unburned fuel gets into the oil. As you already mentioned - it's a common problem on GDI engines and is amplified by forced induction. Since increased cylinder pressures from tubocharger/supercharger "help" push the unburned fuel past the piston rings and into the oil. That's why engines with longer warm-up times and/or short trips see higher fuel dilution than the same engine running on the highway most of the time.
Does that make it a little easier to see how the oil type affects fuel dilution? Higher HTHS oil seems to create a better seal between the rings and cylinder walls. Some fuel still gets through, but not as much.

It's an issue with direct injection engines, especially turbo charged ones. Google 'direct injection fuel dilution' for more details. It's also called oil dilution.
Fuel gets into the oil through bypassing the cylinder rings....................................

The Ford tire debacle was caused by the PR folks. The PR folks wish for a softer ride and Ford upper management let them override the engineer's recommendation. The was clearly stated on the website. I will try to find the discussion if I can, later.
Firestone still had tread separation issues with tires, outside of the Exploder debacle, so it was still a tire issue combined with higher center of gravity SUV, etc. it was a Firestone and Ford debacle.

^This is the statement I'm getting at with my previous post.

I'm guessing by "oil getting past the cylinders" you meant oil getting past the piston rings. Because that's exactly how unvaporized, and therefore unburned fuel gets into the oil. As you already mentioned - it's a common problem on GDI engines and is amplified by forced induction. Since increased cylinder pressures from tubocharger/supercharger "help" push the unburned fuel past the piston rings and into the oil. That's why engines with longer warm-up times and/or short trips see higher fuel dilution than the same engine running on the highway most of the time.
Does that make it a little easier to see how the oil type affects fuel dilution? Higher HTHS oil seems to create a better seal between the rings and cylinder walls. Some fuel still gets through, but not as much.
Fuel gets into the oil through bypassing the cylinder rings....................................
Feel free to correct me. My point is I didn't think that the viscosity of the oil would have any effect on how much fuel gets into the oil. I appreciate you correcting me.

Back