From 20W50 to 5W20 (oem spec) bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just went into my local (costa rica) Ford service center to get my oil/filter changed.

Originally I bought this car (an 08' Explorer SportTrac with the 4.6 V8 w/75k miles) almost exactly 3000 miles ago. When I bought it, I took it there for trans/oil fluid swaps and at that point they used 20W50 Castrol along with the motorcraft filter. Temperatures here never go below 60F and as high as 95F, typically lower 80s.

I previously asked here on the forums if the 20W50 would hurt, most agreed it was OK. However, here is my problem now (or maybe not). Ford specifies a 5W20 from the factory(on the cap) but the service attendant that wrote me up previously, told me 20W50 was for the higher ambient temps. Like a fool I didn't pay attention to the receipt and oil type. I expected the same as before but I noticed they used the 5W20 Motorcraft this time instead of the 20W50. Apart from the engine working less to turn over and more than likely happier cam phasers, how good or bad is this transition between viscosity? Should I be worried or continue on my merry way...

All responses greatly appreciated

Last edited:
Should not hurt anything but I would be inclined to go back to the owner's manual specified oil next change. If it worries you then take it back to the dealer and show them the owner's manual.

We use 5w20 here in the southern USA where it gets really hot too, the engine cooling system can handle normal driving in high ambient temperatures fine and if you abuse it you'll just lose some timing.

I bet you can feel the increase in power and responsiveness with the lighter oil right? I imagine 10w30 would be a good compromise of a thicker viscosity without going to antiquated 20w50.

20/50 is fine, but I should tell you that I live in South Florida, and I ran 5/20 through our 90-95 degree summers for 10k OCIs, hook the daylights out of this thing, haul boats 2 tons over tow rating, and did not shear the Mobil Super 5000 conventional oil. Wear metals well below average for half the OCI I ran.

My only issue was before I added an oil cooler.

If your engine has the factory oil cooler, I feel confident r you could drive through the devil's backyard and not have a problem.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
We use 5w20 here in the southern USA where it gets really hot too, the engine cooling system can handle normal driving in high ambient temperatures fine and if you abuse it you'll just lose some timing.

I bet you can feel the increase in power and responsiveness with the lighter oil right? I imagine 10w30 would be a good compromise of a thicker viscosity without going to antiquated 20w50.

I disagree on 20/50 being antiquated, but agree 10/30 would be a fine choice.

The service sheets from the dealer are no indication on what they used in the shop. The service advisor just clicks on an oil change in the computer and that's what it prints.

What they actually use in the shop is another story. This is why it's important to change your own oil.

For one oil change I used M1 15-50 in my Ford Tempo back about 1995 and right off I noticed a hugh lack of power. After a couple of weeks I switched back to M1 10-30 I was using.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
maybe use a 5w30 if you're worried about heat

I agree but depends on ambient temp for upcoming summer starting in March. Better scurry for some UOAs and make sure you don't need dat 40 weight!

Originally Posted By: 06VtecV6
Better scurry for some UOAs and make sure you don't need dat 40 weight!

How is a UOA going to tell him that?

You're better off with any 5w20 synthetic. My Ford with the same motor has done great in the Southern California desert that is much hotter than where you live. 105-115 all summer here, even 121 once going to Las Vegas. 167k miles so far with 10k oci.

Fuel quality standards are high in Costa Rica too so that might give more credence to being fine using 5w-20 beyond it being spec'd by Ford. It might be a bigger issue if you were in Ecuador or somewhere with relatively dirtier gas.

Originally Posted By: tig1
For one oil change I used M1 15-50 in my Ford Tempo back about 1995 and right off I noticed a hugh lack of power.

Was it the fault of the oil or the fault of Ford?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
For one oil change I used M1 15-50 in my Ford Tempo back about 1995 and right off I noticed a hugh lack of power.

wink.gif

I guess it's more readily apparent when half the engine horsepower is going to pump the oil

You might feel exotic being in far away Costa Rica, but all your engine senses is the ambient temps. And, running 5w/20 in the 80's is fine, and not all that exotic requiring a change in Ford specs.

I think the problem was running 20w/50, not the 5/20..that stuff is like Vaseline. Sorry, I'm not one to tinker that much with OEM specs., unless there's a clear need for it, you're not exactly in the Sahara in July. And again, 80's doesn't fall into that category, even if other factors seem more so.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Garak

wink.gif

I guess it's more readily apparent when half the engine horsepower is going to pump the oil

That's what I'm thinking :p Didn't those cars have 90-something horsepower?

95 degrees isn't even hot, it's just warm. It's humid so it feels hot, but it isn't hot.

5w20 is sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back