Friend and I were discussing gasoline last night.

My wife drives 2018 Elantra GT with 16K miles on it.
We bought it new and I have asked her to use top tier gas only but that's not working.
So every June when I replace the cabin air filter I throw in a bottle of Techron.

Have been using any old gasoline from the least expensive public gasoline filling stations for decades. Never heard of a pea based fuel system cleaner until today. It wasn't until I joined BITOG that I ever heard the term "top tier fuel".

I have never had any fuel related issues. I will make sure to post if I ever get any fuel related issues in the future with my approach to fuel fill-ups.

Have been using any old gasoline from the least expensive public gasoline filling stations for decades. Never heard of a pea based fuel system cleaner until today. It wasn't until I joined BITOG that I ever heard the term "top tier fuel".

I have never had any fuel related issues. I will make sure to post if I ever get any fuel related issues in the future with my approach to fuel fill-ups.

you got here just in time.

Friend and I were discussing gasoline last night.

With a shortage of raw material and the fact that probably all fuel now in the United States and probably Canada is not top tier rated; what would be a good general rule of thumb on how much of a pea based fuel system cleaner would need to be added at each fill up two at the very least exceed the detergent standards of top tier?

And maybe another question to consider.. does this partly explain why so many stores are out of the pea fuel injection cleaners in stores as customers are trying to supplement their fuel now?

There's nothing magical about PEA. There are other compounds that work well as gasoline detergents.

Am I right, that fuel system cleaner does not clean the valves in a DI engine? Do I waste my $$ putting it in our Mazda 2.5?
Also, thanks to those who continue to sneak in politics. It gives me the opportunity to identify poor judgement and use the "Ignore" button.

Never used a pour in tank fuel system cleaner myself, but using it as a supplemental fuel seems crazy. Aren't they the equivalent of over $30 a gallon?
It's like $.60-$1/oz for techron concentrate, 1oz per 10 gallons is supposed to be equivalent to the treat rate of fuel from Chevron gas stations, so you're only adding about 5-10 cents a gallon in cost to your tank

I use the cheapest fuel I can find with confidence.........add a bottle of system cleaner every so often.
Same. The gas has to meet minimum standards for cleaning addatives. The minimum standard is good enough for most cars on the road.

In my 45 years of owning I.C.E. engines I have never had a fuel problem due to lack of detergent. I have had gas go bad and gum up a carburetor but that's due to the e10 we can only get.

Same. The gas has to meet minimum standards for cleaning addatives. The minimum standard is good enough for most cars on the road.

In my 45 years of owning I.C.E. engines I have never had a fuel problem due to lack of detergent. I have had gas go bad and gum up a carburetor but that's due to the e10 we can only get.

Yet-you have guys on here who will go out of their way to find a top tier gas station on a road trip.....yes there was a thread about it a couple of years ago.

It's like $.60-$1/oz for techron concentrate, 1oz per 10 gallons is supposed to be equivalent to the treat rate of fuel from Chevron gas stations, so you're only adding about 5-10 cents a gallon in cost to your tank
From the OP it sounded like they would be using it in addition to gasoline, not just as an additive.

Am I right, that fuel system cleaner does not clean the valves in a DI engine? Do I waste my $$ putting it in our Mazda 2.5?
Also, thanks to those who continue to sneak in politics. It gives me the opportunity to identify poor judgement and use the "Ignore" button.
Basically the answer is yes. The valves do not get cleaned like they do with PFI. The more complicated answer is that with a well designed PCV system and/or some nifty programming which allows some fuel to hit the back of the valves by delaying their closing it's not an issue. Issue is described as causing running or fuel economy issues.

How ever fuel system cleaner will obviously keep your injectors spraying as they should.

Some of it will manage to get on the valves. While there are those setups (like Toyota's) that use both port and direct injection for performance reasons, one of the side benefits is that it gets a lot more fuel mist on the intake valves.

Basically the answer is yes. The valves do not get cleaned like they do with PFI. The more complicated answer is that with a well designed PCV system and/or some nifty programming which allows some fuel to hit the back of the valves by delaying their closing it's not an issue. Issue is described as causing running or fuel economy issues.

How ever fuel system cleaner will obviously keep your injectors spraying as they should.

Direct injectors supposedly have their own problems that are different than port injectors.

With a shortage of raw material and the fact that probably all fuel now in the United States and probably Canada is not top tier rated; what would be a good general rule of thumb on how much of a pea based fuel system cleaner would need to be added at each fill up two at the very least exceed the detergent standards of top tier?

And maybe another question to consider.. does this partly explain why so many stores are out of the pea fuel injection cleaners in stores as customers are trying to supplement their fuel now?
I've not read this entire thread yet, however, I'm curious as to how you came to make such a statement. What's your basis for this conclusion, if it is, indeed, a conclusion.

Well, if these petrol stations are removing their TT status stickers as people say then it's bound to be some truth to it I imagine. Apparently there is only so much of anything and by the way of short supply on just about everything right now all this "speculation" which is common chat and concern amongst people can certainly be a reality. I've lately wondered about aspects that pertain to this very thing.
Which stations are "these?" The Chevron, Costco, and Exxon stations I've visited in the past month or so all indicate TT fuel.

Back