Friend and I were discussing gasoline last night.

With a shortage of raw material and the fact that probably all fuel now in the United States and probably Canada is not top tier rated; what would be a good general rule of thumb on how much of a pea based fuel system cleaner would need to be added at each fill up two at the very least exceed the detergent standards of top tier?

And maybe another question to consider.. does this partly explain why so many stores are out of the pea fuel injection cleaners in stores as customers are trying to supplement their fuel now?

My guess would be if the chemical companies don't have enough to satisfy the demand from the gas companies, they don't have enough to satisfy the extra demand from the aftermarket additives area.

I just add TCW3 to each fill up.

And maybe another question to consider.. does this partly explain why so many stores are out of the pea fuel injection cleaners in stores as customers are trying to supplement their fuel now?

Never used a pour in tank fuel system cleaner myself, but using it as a supplemental fuel seems crazy. Aren't they the equivalent of over $30 a gallon?

Never used a pour in tank fuel system cleaner myself, but using it as a supplemental fuel seems crazy. Aren't they the equivalent of over $30 a gallon?
I believe the point is without the added cleaners native to top tier blends one may supplement the missing additive. That's getting impractical in my opinion. I've never had dirty injectors/valves that showed any symptoms but I've never owned a vehicle that behaves like it was engineered by two monkeys and an AI bot like some of these new engines either.

It's generally unwise to make decisions based on overly broad and unsupported assumptions.
Well, if these petrol stations are removing their TT status stickers as people say then it's bound to be some truth to it I imagine. Apparently there is only so much of anything and by the way of short supply on just about everything right now all this "speculation" which is common chat and concern amongst people can certainly be a reality. I've lately wondered about aspects that pertain to this very thing.

Is that right about the top tier thing?

My little Valero station down the road still has top tier stickers on the pumps. At least what ever hasn't been smudged by the constant barrage of "I did that" JB stickers that quickly and mostly get peeled off.

A couple related threads:

I don't think one could answer the question without knowing exactly which additive and how much is in the fuel you're buying. They may already exceed EPA requirements as it is.

Reactions: JTK
Well, if these petrol stations are removing their TT status stickers as people say then it's bound to be some truth to it I imagine. Apparently there is only so much of anything and by the way of short supply on just about everything right now all this "speculation" which is common chat and concern amongst people can certainly be a reality. I've lately wondered about aspects that pertain to this very thing.
There's no shortage of gasoline. If the stickers are being removed it's because the station decided to opt out of TT for a variety of reasons of which price could be one. There's a lack of additive and a lack of additive for the price one wants to pay.

That's a far cry from claim of "...With a shortage of raw material and the fact that probably all fuel now in the United States and probably Canada is not top tier rated..".

All gasoline sold in the US contains the federal min with regards to additives anyways.

It's generally unwise to make decisions based on overly broad and unsupported assumptions.
From the Top Tier website below. Kwik Trip and other sellers also have statements on their websites.

We are navigating through unprecedented times. Disastrous weather conditions and unplanned additive production operational outages have resulted in some of our TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline Fuel Marketers being unable to supply gasoline with the approved detergent at the approved dosage. The TOP TIER™ program is committed to working with its participants and the industry in managing through this in the best way possible and to return to supplying gasoline fully meeting the TOP TIER requirements as soon as possible.
As this shortage is expected to last through the end of the year, you may see some gas stations noting they are unable to supply TOP TIER™ Gasoline at this time. The brand will still be listed on www.toptiergas.com as this will not apply to all stations.
The TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline program, its Automotive OEM Sponsors and its Fuel Marketers remain committed to gasoline quality, minimizing the impact of the shortage and returning to providing gasoline that meets the TOP TIER™ requirements as soon as possible.

. . . the fact that probably all fuel now in the United States and probably Canada is not top tier rated; . . .

Can you help me understand the "fact" that there is no Top Tier fuel available in the U.S. and Canada?

I just pulled up the Top Tier Website, and there are 51 licensed brands in the U.S. Chevron and Texaco, which I frequent, are both still on the list. As are all the other leading brands that I use as alternates when traveling outside the Chevron/Texaco market area.

Considering the terms of Top Tier, if a brand is no longer dispensing Top Tier fuel, then that brand would no longer be eligible to be listed on the Top Tier website. So help me understand what you are basing your "fact" that Top Tier is not available.

From the Top Tier website below. Kwik Trip and other sellers also have statements on their websites.

We are navigating through unprecedented times. Disastrous weather conditions and unplanned additive production operational outages have resulted in some of our TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline Fuel Marketers being unable to supply gasoline with the approved detergent at the approved dosage. The TOP TIER™ program is committed to working with its participants and the industry in managing through this in the best way possible and to return to supplying gasoline fully meeting the TOP TIER requirements as soon as possible.
As this shortage is expected to last through the end of the year, you may see some gas stations noting they are unable to supply TOP TIER™ Gasoline at this time. The brand will still be listed on www.toptiergas.com as this will not apply to all stations.
The TOP TIER™ Detergent Gasoline program, its Automotive OEM Sponsors and its Fuel Marketers remain committed to gasoline quality, minimizing the impact of the shortage and returning to providing gasoline that meets the TOP TIER™ requirements as soon as possible.
Which is fine but again it doesn't reach the level of "all gas in the US and Canada is no longer top tier".

Thanks! I just read the same statement. Interesting. I'm going to have to watch for the Top Tier label at the stations I typically frequent.

You really have discussions about this ? 😳

so many stores are out of the pea fuel injection cleaners in stores as customers are trying to supplement their fuel now?
1) Haven't seen any shortages and 2) the general consumer doesn't care, nor do they need to, to make a run on buying up all of the fuel-system cleaner products.

You really have discussions about this ? 😳

1) Haven't seen any shortages and 2) the general consumer doesn't care, nor do they need to, to make a run on buying up all of the fuel-system cleaner products.
Yeah he’s got a few modded high performance cars that he keeps in mint condition. Every time we see each other, we always “talk cars”.

Use Chevron with confidence.
Unfortunately, I don't have a Chevron within 750 miles of my house or so. I've used some of their fuel on road trips, but they are completely absent from the Midwest market. BP and Shell seem to be the dominant "oil company" brands here, with some pockets of ExxonMobil and Phillips 66 stations and maybe the odd Citgo. The Midwest market is much more driven by regional brands like Kwik Trip, Casey's, Kum and Go, HyVee, Holiday, Cenex, etc. Some of these sell TT gas, but others don't (prior to the current uncertainty, that is).

Last edited:
Back