Can a fuel additive clean piston rings?

Not much of a story to it.

It's a 2002 Explorer (V6 - ex police interceptor). I got it really cheap about 10 years ago with about 150,000 on it, and drove it for some years with regular oil changes and all.
A few years later (with some beer and a bet involved) I started this experiment to see how long it will last as my daily driver without any oil or filter changes.
Actually I expected it to last no more than maybe 10 or 15 months max.

Well - little did I know.

Now with over 300.000 and about 100,000 without oil/filter change - much to my surprise - it is still doing fine.
To be fair - since I have it, the engine seldom sees more than 2500-3000 rpm, most of the time it's cruising at 2000ish at around 60 mph.

The Oil is the cheapest no name supermarket 15W30 I can find - and I only top it off from time to time, but not much.
Maybe 2 quarts (or so) a year. So technically it's kind of a permanent creeping oil change if you will.

I have all sorts of problems, like electric stuff, rust, wheel bearings etc. but the motor is okay. Just came home from a 1200 mls roundtrip.
No issues, but I need a new front/right hub assembly (again).

Once it is toast, I gonna have an oil analysis done and a "forensic" dissection of the motor, to see what happened.

Frank
The forensic analysis will finally find where Jimmy Hofa was buried.

Back