Fresh Gas Pumps

That along with waiting 3+ hrs in line to save $.02 per gallon.
It was usually at least 15 cents cheaper per gallon. Mine isn't too bad though, the gas cap is on the right side of the car, most other cars are on the left and many don't want to haul the hose across their car so the line for me is shorter if at all.

Not having a mid grade isn't a problem for me. I sometimes do the same if I'm bored. It needs 91 premium but it's 93 at the pumps here. I can mix 1/3 regular with 2/3 super for 91.

I stopped in at the nearby reservation about 18 months ago and was shocked to discover that the gas pumps at the station I pulled in to had screens on the pumps. I watched the Sabres game while filling up, and saved $0.40/gallon to boot!

We’re all dying to know what color is your car?
Well you can be certain it's not black, white or a shade of grey, including metallic grey(silver). That's 80% of new vehicles these days. And since it's not dark red or blue either that covers about 90% of everything currently sold. It enables me to drive around as if I'm a free thinking eccentric. And like the gas station attendant, people occasionally respond as such.

My issue with Costco is their pumps do not have 89. I have to do two separate transactions (50/50 mix of 87 and 91) in order to achieve the 89 octane that is recommended for my truck.

I was with a friend of mine this summer when he was filling up at a BP, and around here at least, the 89 was within 2 cents of costco 93. Most of the time costco 93 is 30 to 40 cents less a gallon than 93 Shell, Mobil, BP etc. I remember once I was looking on Gas Buddy and the difference between 93 Shell and 93 Costco was just under a dollar. That's not typical but it does happen. And if I need to get gas in a pinch Shell is the only other gas I get.

That along with waiting 3+ hrs in line to save $.02 per gallon.

The most I ever waited was about 5 minutes. I usually go around the time the store closes. Nice thing is the gas station is open for an hour after that. But occasionally when I'm there in the middle of the day I have seen long lines so I go back another time. I realize depending where one lives it may be a very different situation.

I consider that a lot! I have waited 15-20 minutes in preparations for a hurricane and that wait made me uncomfortable.

No Costco “brotherhood” for me.
There is often a 5-10 min wait at my neighborhood Valero station as well. The wait at the Costco station is not much longer. Usually I go to the Costco gas station when I am also there to shop, so it isn't a huge deal.

Even 10 minutes is too long to wait for gas.
Indeed.

Unless I have no other option, I do not wait in line for gas, period. And I see to it that I'm not in the position where I have no other option. Had a couple of cases where one station dropped its price and was mobbed, and the station across the street is 10-cents/gallon more so no wait. My time and sanity are worth the extra dollar or so not spent waiting.

Do they take Apple Pay?

They have one better. If it is an actual, real Exxon station, (maybe as opposed to a Circle K. Not sure) they have an app where you can have the pump ready for you to pump your gasoline, before you even pull up to it. It can even charge you through it as well.

Never heard of GasBuddy what is that? I’m thinking something that tells you the price?

GasBuddy needs to be updated more to be useful.

I know the layout of gas stations around me, no matter what price is, you know what stations are cheaper than others.

It hasn't come back down yet...

Every time I look at GasBuddy the prices are OLD and usually not near (or close to.. it's user-reported) the CURRENT prices.

As to Costco. They can be moving as fast as they can... The one by me, there is never NOT a 10-15 minute (!!!) wait. They make the prices hard to see. I know some people that get a Costco membership just for the gas. The gas appears to be 10 cents less a gallon than the other cheapest station in town.

I know where that cheapest station is. I can get my gas in about two minutes, usually flat. NO wait. While most are still on line at Costco. Traffic goes out to the street.

That tells me.. Wow, what is their parking lot like.

If you do the Costco thing, maybe it makes sense. For me? The cheap gas is just about right next to a Walmart, and that works for me. Every now and then, Walmart doesn't have something, or it is TOO cheap.. sure. But a good 80-90% of the time, I'm good to not be paying for the privilege of saving exactly 10 cents a gallon on gas, and doing all that waiting. SOMEONE is going to have an accident on that MADHOUSE of a line. And I'm not buying the Top Tier thing. Maybe it is, but I dose my gas with Redline... Pretty frequently.

To each their own.

Every time I look at GasBuddy the prices are OLD and usually not near (or close to.. it's user-reported) the CURRENT prices.

As to Costco. They can be moving as fast as they can... The one by me, there is never NOT a 10-15 minute (!!!) wait. They make the prices hard to see. I know some people that get a Costco membership just for the gas. The gas appears to be 10 cents less a gallon than the other cheapest station in town.

I know where that cheapest station is. I can get my gas in about two minutes, usually flat. NO wait. While most are still on line at Costco. Traffic goes out to the street.

That tells me.. Wow, what is their parking lot like.

If you do the Costco thing, maybe it makes sense. For me? The cheap gas is just about right next to a Walmart, and that works for me. Every now and then, Walmart doesn't have something, or it is TOO cheap.. sure. But a good 80-90% of the time, I'm good to not be paying for the privilege of saving exactly 10 cents a gallon on gas, and doing all that waiting. SOMEONE is going to have an accident on that MADHOUSE of a line. And I'm not buying the Top Tier thing. Maybe it is, but I dose my gas with Redline... Pretty frequently.

To each their own.

Well GasBuddy relies on users to report prices at most stations, certain stations are automatically updated or updated by the owners though.

Gas is so cheap here I dont get too crazy about where I get it but mostly from Walmart/Murphy or Sams Club, also a local Shell is not much more. As of 10/27/20 gas cost from $1.65 to $1.80 as a high (actually Sams Club is at 1.62 right now)

Gas is so cheap here I dont get too crazy about where I get it but mostly from Walmart/Murphy or Sams Club, also a local Shell is not much more. As of 10/27/20 gas cost from $1.65 to $1.80 as a high (actually Sams Club is at 1.62 right now)
Not sure if it was corporate or regulation … but out of the blue Walmart shut down our busy little Murphy station … knocked it all down … dug up the tanks … Super Center was not that old … so tanks were not likely outdated.
Nothing was built on the space. All grass now.

Not sure if it was corporate or regulation … but out of the blue Walmart shut down our busy little Murphy station … knocked it all down … dug up the tanks … Super Center was not that old … so tanks were not likely outdated.
Nothing was built on the space. All grass now.
This came out some years ago and I was aware of it, even our local Murphy station at Walmart had "For Lease" sign up for the longest time while the Murphy station continued to operate, now here we are 2 years later, "For Lease" sign is down and Murphy still open.
I assume Murphy struck a deal with Murphy, heck maybe bought them for all I know. Also with Walmart+ subscription I noticed you get 5cents a gallon off gas not only at Walmart stations but also Murphy.
So I guess they are here to stay. Now, anyway, though you lost yours for some reason.

This was back in 2016 = https://consumerist.com/2016/02/04/...-will-run-its-own-gas-stations-going-forward/

Back