Fresh Gas Pumps

This came out some years ago and I was aware of it, even our local Murphy station at Walmart had "For Lease" sign up for the longest time while the Murphy station continued to operate, now here we are 2 years later, "For Lease" sign is down and Murphy still open.
I assume Murphy struck a deal with Murphy, heck maybe bought them for all I know. Also with Walmart+ subscription I noticed you get 5cents a gallon off gas not only at Walmart stations but also Murphy.
So I guess they are here to stay. Now, anyway, though you lost yours for some reason.

This was back in 2016 = https://consumerist.com/2016/02/04/...-will-run-its-own-gas-stations-going-forward/
Guess when I think about it … they built too small to start with and right at the entrance … so smaller scale traffic mess like Costco … (was popular)
since then large/nicer places have been built - with Exxon, Shell, Sunoco etc … they will never return

Never seen a Walmart with a gas station!

All the new Walmart’s built near me in the last year have Walmart gas stations. A year or so ago Walmart told Murphy they wanted to be in the fuel retailing business and they won’t be using Murphy in their new stores.

Gas is so cheap here I dont get too crazy about where I get it but mostly from Walmart/Murphy or Sams Club, also a local Shell is not much more. As of 10/27/20 gas cost from $1.65 to $1.80 as a high (actually Sams Club is at 1.62 right now)

Wow cheap....
Going to Florida soon
Just may take the truck with those prices. Like $2.29 to $2.35 here

All the new Walmart’s built near me in the last year have Walmart gas stations. A year or so ago Walmart told Murphy they wanted to be in the fuel retailing business and they won’t be using Murphy in their new stores.
Getting to be too much of this … I’m going to support brands that produce gasoline, lubes, jet A etc
They need that right now …

It's weird in my area. Both Exxon and Mobil pretty much disappeared in the 90s. I'd see one here or there, but they just started coming back a few years ago. And when Chevron station switched over the Exxon it kept the pumps for a while before closing down for a few days to install the newer one.

It's really weird too. An old HS friend of mine thought that Shell, Chevron, and Mobil were the best, but that Exxon was garbage. I didn't sense it was anything other than relying on marketing.

Andeavor, the new name Tesoro operates under bought the rights to Arco from BP when it decided to leave the West Coast. And after the Arco rights, XOM licensed out the rights for the Mobil and Exxon brands in California(and also pulled out of refining - PBW owns the former XOM and Shell refineries in Torrance and Martinez).

As a kid, Chevron was king and Arco was the cheap swill. Now that CARB gasoline is more or less the same except for the add pack, I go to Costco, Chevron or Arco interchangeably. As long as it’s Top Tier certified, if I go to a Safeway station I’ll add in a bottle of Regaine/SI-1/Techron ASAP.

Andeavor, the new name Tesoro operates under bought the rights to Arco from BP when it decided to leave the West Coast. And after the Arco rights, XOM licensed out the rights for the Mobil and Exxon brands in California(and also pulled out of refining - PBW owns the former XOM and Shell refineries in Torrance and Martinez).

As a kid, Chevron was king and Arco was the cheap swill. Now that CARB gasoline is more or less the same except for the add pack, I go to Costco, Chevron or Arco interchangeably. As long as it’s Top Tier certified, if I go to a Safeway station I’ll add in a bottle of Regaine/SI-1/Techron ASAP.

There were periodic discussions of these refineries around here in the news. Usually when there was a refinery fire. Obviously Chevron Richmond was the biggest. I understand once the biggest oil refinery in the world. I'd been there a few times because they had an employee club and during weekdays they would allow (on an invitation basis) school groups to use it. Pacific Refining in Hercules is gone. I believe Phillips 66 in Rodeo used to be Tosco/Unocal. I guess Shell Martinez went through a few name changes (I recall Equilon) over the years before it was sold off. The Andeavor refinery I believe is idle pending future plans, but that used to be the rather infamous Golden Eagle refinery. But Exxon was in Benicia.

I never really understood any of the base fuel to be better or worse. Not today and not back then. But there was always the power of marketing and the idea that these were big, vertically integrated companies.

That Philips 66 refinery and the Golden Eagle one will become a “renewable” diesel plant. Despite Newsom wanting new cars sold after 2035 to be electric or fuel cell, there will still be diesel trucks on the road.

I dunno if the Rodeo/Avon refineries are a major source of jet fuel for SFO/OAK/SJC - I think Chevron or Shell/PBW mentioned SFO or OAK being a major customer for a direct pipeline connection. Boeing and Airbus along with GE/CFM and Rolls-Royce was demoing “renewable” Jet A/A1 before the virus. Philips 66 became the first to nationally market “renewable” diesel.

Never heard of GasBuddy what is that? I’m thinking something that tells you the price?

Yes. Download the app and it will search for every gas station in your area on a movable map. You click on a low price station you like and it will navigate to it if you want. You can also participate by reporting and updating the prices if you want. Its also great to see whats ahead when you travel.

Yes. Download the app and it will search for every gas station in your area on a movable map. You click on a low price station you like and it will navigate to it if you want. You can also participate by reporting and updating the prices if you want. Its also great to see whats ahead when you travel.
Thanks for the info I’ll have to give it a try.

Back