Fresh Gas Pumps

The Sheetz here is great. At the pump, you scan your Sheetz card and then Apple Pay. Nothing to touch but the handle and select button.

Been around a long time. Every once in a while you can find gas really cheap when there's some price war.
Yeah. In my area one end of town wants a war price the other end of town has it cheap. I buy only mid-grade and premium so it is more expensive anyway.

Anyone use the GetUpSide app for fuel savings?

Heres the discount at my local Exxon right now

Attachments

• 7BD1DBC0-B31D-49EF-B690-F90B4BA3D831.jpeg
    7BD1DBC0-B31D-49EF-B690-F90B4BA3D831.jpeg
    37.7 KB · Views: 6
GasBuddy prices have been very inaccurate around my area for several years now. ExxonMobil has been on a bit of a rebranding/expansion sweep the last few years here around Dallas. A lot of 7Eleven stations became Exxon or Mobil branded gas. Within a 4 mile radius of my home one 7Eleven got brand new underground storage tanks and piping and it reopened as branded Exxon gas. Another 7Eleven is a branded Exxon station and it got new underground tanks and piping as well. Another 7Eleven got brand new underground tanks and piping and opened as Mobil branded gas. Also just recently a 7Eleven Shell station changed to Mobil. So lots of changes with ExxonMobil trying to rebrand. A mom and pop convenience store decided to become Mobil branded and they got new underground tanks in the process too.

Regarding Exxon branded vs Mobil branded stations. It’s the same gas with the same additive treat rate. Only difference is the Exxon brand and Mobil brand have different fee structures for the operator. One of them has a more expensive branding fee but has a lower minimum gallon purchase quantity. The other brand has a less expensive branding fee but requires a higher minimum gallon purchase quantity. Depending on the location traffic one brand is more favorable than the other. Which is why sometimes Exxon stations rebrand to Mobil stations and vice versa. I can’t remember which fee structure goes with which brand anymore.

The 2 mom & pop stores here sell Mobil/Exxon and Shell gas. The Shell tanks are steel and have never been replaced since the store opened 60 years ago. The other store, Mobil/Exxon, had new fiberglass tanks installed about 15 years ago. The store is about 60 years old as well, but had steel tanks before. Customers complain that the Shell store has water & rust in the tanks.

GasBuddy prices have been very inaccurate around my area for several years now.
It's users that enter the gas prices. Maybe you should set up an account and set them straight. There was someone around here entering wrong prices all the time, but that stopped after a few months. Either some nut job or the competition trying to screw up other stations.
The 2 mom & pop stores here sell Mobil/Exxon and Shell gas. The Shell tanks are steel and have never been replaced since the store opened 60 years ago. The other store, Mobil/Exxon, had new fiberglass tanks installed about 15 years ago. The store is about 60 years old as well, but had steel tanks before. Customers complain that the Shell store has water & rust in the tanks.
Around here many of the mom and pops closed years ago. I thought it was a federal law but maybe it was just a state one where everyone had to replace their tanks if it didn't meet a certain spec and it started with the big vendors and then eventually the mom and pop ones had to do it and many just closed instead of replacing their tanks. Many that closed turned into other businesses.

It's users that enter the gas prices. Maybe you should set up an account and set them straight. There was someone around here entering wrong prices all the time, but that stopped after a few months. Either some nut job or the competition trying to screw up other stations.

Around here many of the mom and pops closed years ago. I thought it was a federal law but maybe it was just a state one where everyone had to replace their tanks if it didn't meet a certain spec and it started with the big vendors and then eventually the mom and pop ones had to do it and many just closed instead of replacing their tanks. Many that closed turned into other businesses.
The mom and pop store here with the steel tanks, the owner practically runs our village! He kept a DG from being built here for many years. He kept a Baptist church from being built here. He kept other cable/internet companies from coming here. Well, him and his family. They have so much pull with La. Senators and local government.
FINALLY, a DG was built here this year. And, a Baptist church, and, 2 other cable/internet companies. WHY? His father passed away and 4 months later, his mom did too. It's very sad that happened, but the grip they had on our town (Village) was FINALLY released!
Now that we are progressing here, maybe someone will make him replace his tanks.
He sells the BEST meat around though! People actually come from near and far to buy his butcher shop meat. He throws sawdust on the floor in front of the glass display case.

Just need 100 pumps like Buc-ee’s ! This is where I get some E0 once in a while

Leeds, AL is getting one of these soon. 100 pumps seems nuts, but I guess the proximity to I20 will support it, and outlying areas like Leeds are where the big travel centers are since nobody wants to stop in Birmingham unless they have to.

A popular Canadian grocery chain partnered with Mobil up here. Esso is still here representing Exxon. They get their gas from the Imperial Oil refinery (70% owned by Exxon Mobil) in Edmonton. It’s pipelined to Calgary and then trucked another 240 miles to here. :) The city of Vancouver gets its gasoline from the Trans Mountain, pipeline which runs from Edmonton to Vancouver. People take infrastructure for granted. As long as the gasoline comes out when they squeeze that handle dealy.

Last edited:
Doesn't anyone here use Gasbuddy? Shows you the lowest price in the area. I'm in a metro area so no worries about stale gas. Plus the cheapest stations usually do a lot of volume. No brand loyalty here. I go to whoever is cheapest depending on which way I'm going. I do Costco once in a while but their gas station isn't that close so don't go that way that often. Otherwise places like Shell, Exxon etc all have the highest gas prices in the area so I never really bother going there.
Pay With Gasbuddy is even better as you save additional money per gallon on top of any discounts you have with the specific station.

Leeds, AL is getting one of these soon. 100 pumps seems nuts, but I guess the proximity to I20 will support it, and outlying areas like Leeds are where the big travel centers are since nobody wants to stop in Birmingham unless they have to.
One thing I see often is folks towing RV’s, utility trailers, boats etc … can find a pass through where some pumps are not too crowded. That, large/clean restrooms, and all kinds of goodies inside … they tend to put up billboards with that info well in advance … Our stores don’t allow 18 wheelers and leave that to Love’s et al and places with showers, truck parking

Where I get E0, those pumps have 5 nozzles …

I think the freshest gas is Costco. The ones around here are always backed up and constantly pumping at all pumps. Since you can pump on either side, traffic only flows one way, and there's no convenience store to go in and buy snacks, it really is maximum flow time. Also means the wait time isn't too bad either.

I was filling up at Costco, I think it was pre-Covid so maybe later in the summer of '19, when the attendant came by me and complimeneted the color of my car. We struck up a conversation and I wanted to get some info on frequency of deliveries. I asked him how many times a week they had gas delivered. Wrong way to ask the question. He told me they often get two deliveries in 1 day! Wow. So what I really wanted to know is how fresh the 93 octane was. He told me 2 or 3 times a week the 93 tanks are filled. Since that's what I get, it was the good answer I was hoping for.

It's cool too because now if I see him I usually say "hi" and exchange some words.

I was filling up at Costco, I think it was pre-Covid so maybe later in the summer of '19, when the attendant came by me and complimeneted the color of my car. We struck up a conversation and I wanted to get some info on frequency of deliveries. I asked him how many times a week they had gas delivered. Wrong way to ask the question. He told me they often get two deliveries in 1 day! Wow. So what I really wanted to know is how fresh the 93 octane was. He told me 2 or 3 times a week the 93 tanks are filled. Since that's what I get, it was the good answer I was hoping for.

It's cool too because now if I see him I usually say "hi" and exchange some words.

We’re all dying to know what color is your car?

I think the freshest gas is Costco. The ones around here are always backed up and constantly pumping at all pumps. Since you can pump on either side, traffic only flows one way, and there's no convenience store to go in and buy snacks, it really is maximum flow time. Also means the wait time isn't too bad either.
My issue with Costco is their pumps do not have 89. I have to do two separate transactions (50/50 mix of 87 and 91) in order to achieve the 89 octane that is recommended for my truck.

Back