Fresh Gas Pumps

I have always wanted to try Mobil/Exxon gas. All we have near me is mostly Kum and go, Qwik trip, Kroger, Mapco and some shell stations. We have some other branded stations but they are way overpriced compared to the Shell stations so I always end up at shell. The closest exxon to me is 20 cents per gallon higher than the shell I stop by so I never use it.

the brand new pumps at the qwik trips sure are nice though!

I use Exxon exclusively. It's close, I have an Exxon card that knocks off 6¢ a gallon, prices in line or less than surrounding stations, top tier.

I think the freshest gas is Costco. The ones around here are always backed up and constantly pumping at all pumps. Since you can pump on either side, traffic only flows one way, and there's no convenience store to go in and buy snacks, it really is maximum flow time. Also means the wait time isn't too bad either.

We have lots of Exxon in my area it’s been here my whole life. I like Shell gas especially the V-Power. Since I don’t run regular in any of my vehicles I usually go to the place that has the cheapest mid-grade or premium gas. We only have one BP station which BP is what my Escape likes so I usually go to that station for that. Then also go to Kroger to use the gas points and occasionally will go to Sam’s Club or BJ’s.

The Exxon stations in my neck of the woods are changing to Mobil. Same company of course but a interesting trend.

I gave up even desiring to keep track of gas station names...being I'm not in the industry.

1) I read in the NYTimes that Sunoco was getting out of the retail business. THEN a small no-name station became a Sunoco as did a large Amaco station from the '60's. Both involved heavy rebuilding and new tanks.
Plus, other new Sunoco stations popped up. Perhaps the story's line was an average across the country?

2) Valero stations opened up all over northern New Jersey charging prices equal to or higher than Shell. Shell is tippy-top priced fuel here.
The Valero stations began closing real fast. One Valero became a Sunoco.

3) Texaco has 2 stations in all of New Jersey. I imagine the leases on those properties are for "Texaco station only", or some such.
Likely through a mailing list (car magazine?) Texaco sent me a $10 card. That's when I learned I had to essentially drive to Phillie to get my promo gas. My aunt in Dallas got the card. "Hey Auntie, do you have Texaco stations in Texas?". She thought it was a set-up for a joke.

4) A Conoco station appeared in the neighboring town? I've only seen Conoco stations in the Southwest.

5) The oldest of stations around me are now almost all Delta (Indian owned) and the absolute rattiest of stations are no longer gas stations.

It's weird in my area. Both Exxon and Mobil pretty much disappeared in the 90s. I'd see one here or there, but they just started coming back a few years ago. And when Chevron station switched over the Exxon it kept the pumps for a while before closing down for a few days to install the newer one.

It's really weird too. An old HS friend of mine thought that Shell, Chevron, and Mobil were the best, but that Exxon was garbage. I didn't sense it was anything other than relying on marketing.

I think the freshest gas is Costco. The ones around here are always backed up and constantly pumping at all pumps. Since you can pump on either side, traffic only flows one way, and there's no convenience store to go in and buy snacks, it really is maximum flow time. Also means the wait time isn't too bad either.
Just need 100 pumps like Buc-ee’s ! This is where I get some E0 once in a while

Doesn't anyone here use Gasbuddy? Shows you the lowest price in the area. I'm in a metro area so no worries about stale gas. Plus the cheapest stations usually do a lot of volume. No brand loyalty here. I go to whoever is cheapest depending on which way I'm going. I do Costco once in a while but their gas station isn't that close so don't go that way that often. Otherwise places like Shell, Exxon etc all have the highest gas prices in the area so I never really bother going there.

Doesn't anyone here use Gasbuddy? Shows you the lowest price in the area. I'm in a metro area so no worries about stale gas. Plus the cheapest stations usually do a lot of volume. No brand loyalty here. I go to whoever is cheapest depending on which way I'm going. I do Costco once in a while but their gas station isn't that close so don't go that way that often. Otherwise places like Shell, Exxon etc all have the highest gas prices in the area so I never really bother going there.

I do use GB. Here Exxon is priced with the no tt gas- so its cheap.

We have 2 small mom & pop stores in the town (actually it's a village-population 300) I live in. One of them has 2 pumps (regular unleaded only and diesel) and the other store has 1 pump (regular unleaded only). The pumps were made in the early 70's.
They don't take APPLE PAY, but you can set an apple on top of them.

The little things in life...........
My local Citgo switched to Exxon last night.
Never had Exxon close before. I filled up on brand new pumps..... yeah I know but they are NICE!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks like that. A sunoco recently closed near me and opened as a mobile station. I have since been telling everyone how nice the new pumps are to use. The screen where you input everything is big and responsive.

Back