Free lifetime oil change. FCP Euro.

You're most probably due for new shocks/struts on that Audi by now.
There's your $500 use case for store credit.

I don't quite get why 0% return on Amazon purchases (risk of counterfeit), Autozone, etc. is better than working with FCPEuro?
Don't those prices also go up every year?

Even if you have to "eat inflation costs" you're still getting 90%+ back on the purchase when you bundle multiple items together in the same box. Not to mention the credit card points / cash back?

If anything, the oil being more expensive (Motul is $60/5L now) means it's in your favor to return it for an exchange via USPS flat rate?

FCP is in the process of opening a new distro/processing centre in the Western US - which will help a lot in terms of freight.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this 5L bottle of LM, but this whining is unfounded.

Last edited:
Technically, that is their policy, even though you sort of have to dig around the website to find out (IIRC). However, it works both ways. That means that you eat any inflationary costs. I've only ever seen the cost of replacement items go up, so this is typically always working against the customer. No different than inflation we see at the pump, home, grocery store, etc...

Lol of course I did. It wasn't a mistake. I spoke with chat and they emailed me back after looking into it. Here's what they said:

"When we changed our LRG policy back on 11/1/22, we changed the way returns are processed. We used to process all returns to the replacement order but this did not make sense for us to continue doing as it was hurting the company.

When that policy changed back in November 2022, we made it so that moving forward, all LRG returns are processed to the original order
or the oldest available order that doesn't already have an LRG return for that item yet."

So there you have it.

Pirate ship was charging the same as USPS flat rate. No advantage for me there.

Indeed, it does make sense if you have a several VW/Audi cars. Even then, it's still not going to make your oil changes all that cheap when you consider the alternatives.

On the contrary, I've sent everything back I possibly could, with the exception of the first oil change. Hence why they only refunded me that very old oil change. I don't believe they could keep the policy going, hence why they discontinued it. Store credit is not the same as cash back. Right now, I'm sitting on almost $500 in credits because I purchased rotors/pads and then replacement rotors pads. It's worth mentioning I purchased the first set of rotors/pads before they changed their policy, and yet I'm still stuck with the store credit. So, I'm still out all the money for 2x rotors/pads. I just have to cross my fingers that something worth $500 breaks on my car.... (sarc)
I haven't paid out of pocket for FCP stuff in quite a while....I call that "free". I see that change in policy now... ever an issue for me.

I don't quite get why 0% return on Amazon purchases (risk of counterfeit), Autozone, etc. is better than working with FCPEuro?

Even if you have to "eat inflation costs" you're still getting 90%+ back on the purchase when you bundle multiple items together in the same box. Not to mention the credit card points / cash back?

If anything, the oil being more expensive (Motul is $60/5L now) means it's in your favor to return it for an exchange via USPS flat rate?

FCP is in the process of opening a new distro/processing centre in the Western US - which will help a lot in terms of freight.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this 5L bottle of LM, but this whining is unfounded.
Biblical whining.

How do you figure I'm due for struts?

Never said it was. However, since you bring it up, I shop at Amazon enough for it to be worth my time to send them business when I can. It's practically a cash grab any time they screw up - they're more than willing to go the extra mile and then some.

Not sure where you came away with the impression that I have a bunch of FCP Euro items around my house I can just bundle up at anytime with my oil return. If you actually read any of the posts here, you'd know that a large USPS flat rate barely holds a 5L LM jug.

Did you even read what I wrote?

It wasn't "bad", per se. It was just annoying to be nickel and dimed for $5. It was more annoying to have to contact customer support over it. If I'm going to maximize/optimize every financial transaction (eg, returning oil), shouldn't I go all the way?

I set out to experiment with this "free lifetime oil change" concept with an open mind. I maintained that it was more hassle than it was worth. I stand by that assessment.

P.S. - if you're going to hurl insults at someone, at least pretend you actually did your due dilligence.

How do you figure I'm due for struts?

I'd wager a 10yr old Audi needs new shocks by now if they're original, yes.
I just replaced mine with Bilsteins, and it sure was nice having $200 in store credit at FCP.

Never said it was. However, since you bring it up, I shop at Amazon enough for it to be worth my time to send them business when I can. It's practically a cash grab any time they screw up - they're more than willing to go the extra mile and then some.

How much do they give you for your used oil?

Not sure where you came away with the impression that I have a bunch of FCP Euro items around my house I can just bundle up at anytime with my oil return. If you actually read any of the posts here, you'd know that a large USPS flat rate barely holds a 5L LM jug.

I've done it myself with a 5L + 1L jug of Motul, wipers, brake fluid, and other normal service items. User error?

Did you even read what I wrote?

Yes, hence my reply.

It wasn't "bad", per se. It was just annoying to be nickel and dimed for $5. It was more annoying to have to contact customer support over it. If I'm going to maximize/optimize every financial transaction (eg, returning oil), shouldn't I go all the way?

I set out to experiment with this "free lifetime oil change" concept with an open mind. I maintained that it was more hassle than it was worth. I stand by that assessment.

P.S. - if you're going to hurl insults at someone, at least pretend you actually did your due dilligence.

Better luck next time I suppose.

I already replaced the Audi magnetic ride some time ago. They actually didn't even last 30k miles. I don't live in a city filled with potholes anymore so the replacements are still riding like new. Same goes with my other vehicle. Maintenance is cheap when all miles are highway and everything spends the night in the garage.

Amazon doesn't give me anything for my used oil. However, I likely get at least $13 in free goods a year from them. Actually I get a lot more.

At close to $50/jug of LM, I'm prob just going to stick wth Castrol going forward. Unless I can find something cheaper than $22 or whatever it was for for the USPS large flat rate. I checked Pirateship. No dice. If FCP is going to continue to use the FIFO method for returns, it's not going to be worth my time.

Last edited:
Boxed up and ready to go. $233 worth of stuff: LM oil change kit for the Atlas, Sportwagen oil filter, Sportwagen LM DSG service kit, 2x Motul RBF600 brake fluid. Used my last HPL box...fit perfectly. $21.08 return shipping for a 28 lb box. This credit will cover the next oil changes on the Atlas and Passat plus some misc stuff.

20231003_140558.jpg
20231003_142245.jpg
20231003_142605.jpg

Boxed up and ready to go. $233 worth of stuff: LM oil change kit for the Atlas, Sportwagen oil filter, Sportwagen LM DSG service kit, 2x Motul RBF600 brake fluid. Used my last HPL box...fit perfectly. $21.08 return shipping for a 28 lb box. This credit will cover the next oil changes on the Atlas and Passat plus some misc stuff.
None of that other stuff comes in my oil change kit 😂.

Pirateship did not offer a price advantage over USPS large flat rate. For a much larger custom box like what have, perhaps UPS would. I suppose I could hold on to my used oil for another 30,000 miles and bundle it with diff/trans fluids, but then I'll have done 6 oil changes and piled up half a dozen or more of the 5L jugs. Not sure that ratio works out for me :(

You're lucky if DSG fluid needs replacing at each oil change.

On a side note, I'm not a professional shipper by any means. Looking at Pirateship again, I might be able to save $14 more dollars using "Ground Advantage Cubic" (if I even have such a box). If I want to be safe and use UPS, whom I know will ship oil, I can save $10. Again, I could also just use Castrol or even Penzoil and the whole thing is moot. I could also go with ECS Tuning. They're much closer to me.

Last edited:
None of that other stuff comes in my oil change kit 😂.

Pirateship did not offer a price advantage over USPS large flat rate. For a much larger custom box like what have, perhaps UPS would. I suppose I could hold on to my used oil for another 30,000 miles and bundle it with diff/trans fluids, but then I'll have done 6 oil changes and piled up half a dozen or more of the 5L jugs. Not sure that ratio works out for me :(

You're lucky if DSG fluid needs replacing at each oil change.

On a side note, I'm not a professional shipper by any means. Looking at Pirateship again, I might be able to save $14 more dollars using "Ground Advantage Cubic" (if I even have such a box). If I want to be safe and use UPS, whom I know will ship oil, I can save $10. Again, I could also just use Castrol or even Penzoil and the whole thing is moot. I could also go with ECS Tuning. They're much closer to me.
I only do DSG every 25K or so maybe once every other year. USPS was >2x the cost of UPS ground BTW

I only do DSG every 25K or so maybe once every other year. USPS was >2x the cost of UPS ground BTW
I see that now. But UPS is really far away from me compared to USPS. I suppose I could drop it off at a UPS Access Point (like Advanced Auto). The employees might be too dumb to ask questions.

Interestingly, I input into Pirateship the dimensions of a USPS large flate rate, and it told me Cubic Advantage was the best option (with a delta of about $14). It's too bad they make customers do the shipping optimization calculations, rather than just tell me at the counter that I'm getting ripped off using the large flat rate when apparently I can just reclassify it as a cubic container, meeting their Cubic Advantage requirements.

Also, if you input the large flat rate dimensions and do the calculations, the OD's are 12.25x12x6 = 882. 882/1728 > 0.5 cubic feet, so technically does not meet the requirement for Cubic Advantage, even though Pirateship is telling me it does...

Last edited:
I see that now. But UPS is really far away from me compared to USPS. I suppose I could drop it off at a UPS Access Point (like Advanced Auto). The employees might be too dumb to ask questions.

Interestingly, I input into Pirateship the dimensions of a USPS large flate rate, and it told me Cubic Advantage was the best option (with a delta of about $14). It's too bad they make customers do the shipping optimization calculations, rather than just tell me at the counter that I'm getting ripped off using the large flat rate when apparently I can just reclassify it as a cubic container, meeting their Cubic Advantage requirements.

Also, if you input the large flat rate dimensions and do the calculations, the OD's are 12.25x12x6 = 882. 882/1728 > 0.5 cubic feet, so technically does not meet the requirement for Cubic Advantage, even though Pirateship is telling me it does...
It's not illegal to ship liquids if they aren't hazardous and this stuff doesn't meet that definition. If they can ship me the oil/fluids I can ship it back! I've used FedEx and UPS with no drama "used auto parts...yes...fluids....they are sealed up". I do pack this stuff carefully as you can see.

The most important part I left out...a properly filled out LRG form with the order you are returning and the one you bought to replace it. I do it online, very easy.

All of this took an extra hour let's call it. I'd say that was worth ~$210 (total refund credit less shipping)...I don't charge my clients that much so I'm making money!

Last edited:
The most important part I left out...a properly filled out LRG form with the order you are returning and the one you bought to replace it. I do it online, very easy.

All of this took an extra hour let's call it. I'd say that was worth ~$210 (total refund credit less shipping)...I don't charge my clients that much so I'm making money!

The online replacement form is kind of a pain, imo. It would be easier to have an interface where I can click the two orders and it's generated for me. ECS Tuning does this. @FCPEuro, are you reading this??

I have a broken bottle of LM sitting around and asked FCP if I can pour it into a different container. They said fine. I don't have any DSG fluid, but I can at least get rid of this oil and get some money back. It won't be anywhere close to $210.

Who are you charging money??

Nice, though does that jectron cleaner actually do anything?
I'm under the impression that using top tier fuel is the same difference, like Shell or Exxon.

Also maybe want to remove your personal information?
Hmmm...thought I removed it. Will change it.

Back