Fram XG7317 cut open - 12,000 miles

Looks good and thank you Adam. I have no issue with slightly wavy pleats. It show's some 'give' in the media that's under very harsh conditions. In the past the wire mesh would take the brunt of this so it maintained it's shape.

Looks good and thank you Adam. I have no issue with slightly wavy pleats. It show's some 'give' in the media that's under very harsh conditions. In the past the wire mesh would take the brunt of this so it maintained it's shape.
I dont think the OP is named Adam, but I do thank the OP for posting!

Darn.... That sucks ^^^^^^^^^^^

Hate to say it but Premium Guard filters like the one from O Reilly's maybe the next filter I go with.

Wow, I really am disappointed with the updated XG. That filter looks like a POS, not a premium wire backed media filter like the original.

Did the media tear?

1669054288443.jpg

I just cut open an (newer) XG7317 I pulled off my son's Mazda that had been on for 10,000 miles and I can say after using the Ultras for as long as I can remember, I doubt I'll be using them ever again. I wish I had taken pictures and posted them here. No tears, but plenty of waves in the pleats and I was able to make a tears with a shocking lack of effort. I'm talking just very mild pressure with a finger and I was able to tear the media right off the endcaps. I miss the wire backing. I defended them when they changed but after seeing one after using it, I'm out. This is not a premium filter anymore.

I just cut open an (newer) XG7317 I pulled off my son's Mazda that had been on for 10,000 miles and I can say after using the Ultras for as long as I can remember, I doubt I'll be using them ever again. I wish I had taken pictures and posted them here. No tears, but plenty of waves in the pleats and I was able to make a tears with a shocking lack of effort. I'm talking just very mild pressure with a finger and I was able to tear the media right off the endcaps. I miss the wire backing. I defended them when they changed but after seeing one after using it, I'm out. This is not a premium filter anymore.
I've been looking for a different 'go to' filter as well. Before Fram's cheapening of the XG, the choice was simple. Now I don't know which filter to go with, when considering cost. Doesn't seem to be a consensus here yet.

Last edited:
No tears, but plenty of waves in the pleats and I was able to make a tears with a shocking lack of effort. I'm talking just very mild pressure with a finger and I was able to tear the media right off the endcaps.
That's not a good thing. We may be seeing a few torn ones in the spring after they are ran over the winter and get a major delta-p workout.

Yep you nailed it... Ultra is now a TG.
Not worthy of the money being what it is now.

The Dram Titanium is still like the real Ultra and with certain combo deals at AAP it's worth considering.
Probably because they are old stock.

Back