Fram Ultra VS Hyundai OEM Filter.

I've looked for it without success. Can someone share a link to the micron efficiency numbers for the H/K?

On all my Hyundai/KIA I've used a multitude of filters. None have caused any concern except for a one-off Extraguard that did rattle on the Tucson. But I've used Extraguard on that vehicle since without issue.

Last edited:
Only guessing, their intent was more flow, GPM. Motor King, at the time a Fram rep said the Ultra flowed better then the OEM.
Well that was a corporate shill so what else would you expect one to say? The white knight right up until Fram changed hands again and the team got sacked. After that was never heard from again.

I've been using the Ultras on my Gen Coupe 2L turbo. I bought Hyundai filter to see if there is any oil pressure difference. Haven't put it on yet though. I use the Ultras for two oil changes so don't see how using Hyundai for one would be any cost savings.

It's telling that you cannot find any official ratings for their OE filters.

For what its worth my Honda uses the very common XG7317.

The Kia Soul uses XG9688 and is $1+ more expensive and feels heavier.
Any idea why?
I think thats the same filter the OP would be using in the Elantra.

And it is a few dollars more expensive than OEM.
So Fram clearly isn't opposed to charging more where there is a need. ( a perhaps off-topic reference to the 'new' fram ultra discussion)

I've looked for it without success. Can someone share a link to the micron efficiency numbers for the H/K?

On all my Hyundai/KIA I've used a multitude of filters. None have caused any concern except for a one-off Extraguard that did rattle on the Tucson. But I've used Extraguard on that vehicle since without issue.
Only thing that peturbs me is that some quick lives use a Honda/Toyota sized filter on Hyundai/Kia 🤬🤬

Only guessing, their intent was more flow, GPM. Motor King, at the time a Fram rep said the Ultra flowed better then the OEM.
How do you get more flow out of a PD pump that's not in pressure relief? Are Hyundai filters so restrictive that the pump hits relief at very low RPM?

Only thing that peturbs me is that some quick lives use a Honda/Toyota sized filter on Hyundai/Kia 🤬🤬
Dimensions HxD
XG9688 is 3.08x3.02
XG7317 is 3.47x2.69

So, they're not really that different in total size, one girthy/one long.
But yes, there is a difference and they shouldn't be used interchangably. What that difference is...?

How do you get more flow out of a PD pump that's not in pressure relief? Are Hyundai filters so restrictive that the pump hits relief at very low RPM?
No it's the opposite. their relief use to be around 20 psi but I don't know what the current stuff is.

No it's the opposite. their relief use to be around 20 psi but I don't know what the current stuff is.
The oil filter bypass valve setting doesn't effect the oil flow getting to the engine as long as the PD isn't in pressure relief. If the filter was so restrictive that it made the oil pump hit pressure relief at a relatively low engine RPM, then that would be the only way for an oil filter to cause less oil flow to the engine.

The oil filter bypass valve setting doesn't effect the oil flow getting to the engine as long as the PD isn't in pressure relief. If the filter was so restrictive that it made the oil pump hit pressure relief at a low engine RPM, then that would be the only way for an oil filter to cause less oil flow to the engine.
You are right. I was only offering some facts.

I have had problems with the Fram Ultra on my 2.4 engine. Three times I have used them always resulting in startup clatter. Seems like the drain back is not holding. Went back to OEM and now all is quiet. I don't understand. Just my experience.

I have had problems with the Fram Ultra on my 2.4 engine. Three times I have used them always resulting in startup clatter. Seems like the drain back is not holding. Went back to OEM and now all is quiet. I don't understand. Just my experience.
+1 ... most likely was a leaky ADBV.

To update on this as I went to an oem Hyundai filter with M1 ep hm 5w30 and engine is a lot happier. Will change every 5k. No issues to report with the new filter and oil combo plus I’m saving a couple dollars on oem vs ultra or M1 branded filters.

What is the orientation of the filter on the 2.4? My Accent 1.6L is at a 45* angle, the Gen Coupe 2LT hangs straight down. I think the 2.4L and the 2LT are really close as they share parts.

What is the orientation of the filter on the 2.4? My Accent 1.6L is at a 45* angle, the Gen Coupe 2LT hangs straight down. I think the 2.4L and the 2LT are really close as they share parts.
On the 13 2.4l sonata it’s pretty much straight down. I’m still using ultra or M1 filters on that car and all is quiet.

Back