Fram Ultra VS Hyundai OEM Filter.

Hi all, This is regarding the oil filter in a 09 2.0L Elantra. Im currently running a Fram Ultra, but was recommended to use Hyundai OEM filter for this motor. Anyone have a cut open Hyundai OEM filter, and why is the OEM filter "better" for these 2.0's? I use either M1 or Fram Ultra in the 2.4L Sontata, and the engine is perfectly smooth, no ticks or knocks. The 2.0L in the Elantra on other hand has cold piston slap that goes away in about 3 mins, which I don't think a filter would fix. the OEM filter is cheaper then the Ultra or M1.

What are your opinions on this?

Thanks! :-D

I used them when I had a Soul but never cut one open. They are heavy and have a substantial feel. Millions of them have been used forever with no complaints that I have read. Give them a try.

I've used every make of filter including OEM in our 2008 Elantra and never noticed any real difference. The OEM's are a stout
feeling filter for sure. The 2.0 BETA isn't the quietest engine but I think you'd be fine with either....I'd probably run it 2 OCI's if I splurged for
an Ultra.

looks good but nothing special I would go out of my way for. Makes you question why would a company that specialized in low cost vehicles go out if their way to spec in a above average oil filter?

Last edited:
I have been running the Fram Ultra or Titanium filters on my 2012 Hyundai Accent for the past 30,000 miles or so and I have decided that I will probably just go back to using OEM filters from Walmart with the next oil change.

Hyundai's OEM oil filter is built like a tank and I've never heard a single person complain about any issues with using them. The only knock against them is that their filtration efficiency may not be that great but frankly I change oil in my Hyundai every 3000 to 4000 miles so efficiency doesn't mean THAT much to me anymore. I feel like the GF4D Gamma engine in my car, while a great performer, is a ticking time bomb at this point so I just want to go with the oil filter that I know will cause the least amount of issues if any at all and that is the OEM oil filter.

I use oe filter on my Sonata. Lack fancy features like synthetic material and extended change interval but guarantee to work. The oe filter has been upgraded twice and can withstand small turbo gdi engine, should be an overkill when used on low-stress 2.0 or 2.4 NA.

The "use only Hyundai" goes back to the 2.0 Beta engine days when there were issues with aftermarket filters, but those issues have been long solved.
Hyundai filters are not bad filters and can go the recommended oil change interval.

using the good + cheep OE filter on girlfriends 18 optima 2.4 + quaker state ultimate durability full "fake" synthetic 10-30 in Pa + adhering to 6 mo-5000 miles for the warranty all is well!! not a fan of Fram, especially about twice the cost for their decent filters!!

Any filter will work fine. I use the OEM only because I bought a 6 pack when I also thought OEM was required for warranty. I also have used ST9688 for 2.99. All work great.

I'd go with a 5w-30 on the elantra at any rate. Either filter will serve the purpose. But I find no issues using the stock filter in my applications, past and present.

I would used an Xw-30 in any Hyundai engine even if Xw-20 is recommended, my Hyundai GDI has responded particularly well to Valvoline 5w30 offerings.

Either filter will allow your engine to last as long as it is going to last . Unless a problem takes out your engine the oil filter will not make a difference during your ownership of the vehicle.

I've been using 5w-30 in my Kias and lately Mann W811/80 oil filters after I ran out of OEM filter stash. Actually liking Mann better thou they are pretty much exactly same thing.

I've had 3 Kia/Hundai cars. For a long time I only used OEM, but then when I tried a Fram Ultra on my 2012 Sonata, I found that it did not make more noise the stock and the oil stayed noticeably more amber on the dipstick. I used them for the rest of the time I owned the car, no issues. When I sold the car, the Ultra that was on the motor was on it's 3rd oil change interval with close to 15,000 miles on it. Quiet, smooth, no drama.

The 2.0 Beta motor is noisy. I had an 06 Spectra, it had noise that sounded like piston slap when cold right off the dealer lot. But when it was an operating temp, you could get outside and you'd barely hear it running. I used 5w and 10w30 oil in it.

Hyundai's OEM filter like 💩. Too many people get mesmerized by a filters weight for some odd reason. How that seems to correlate into "a good filter " is beyond me. Lipstick on a pig scenario. Hyundai increased oil pressure and decreased filtering micron level to try to fix their piston galling problem. When it is the soft piston metallurgy on non-turbo engines that is the problem, not opening up the filter for crap filtering with the tought better oil flow will save soft pistons.

Last edited:
^^^ Sounds like Hyundai doesn't realize how PD oil pumps work, lol.

Back