Fram Ultra for a jeep 4.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive had a 99 cherokee for a little over a year now but i just havent updated my profile on here. Ive been using Mobil Super HM 10w30 with a Wix filter but ive decided to give the Fram ultra a shot after reading great reviews on here. My only issue is ive heard alot of people say not to use any Fram filter on a 4.0 because it doesnt have an adbv. Is this true of all Fram filters? Does the Ultra have an adbv? My Jeep is a 99 cherokee with a new factory short block with 68k on the odo and a new clutch. No lifter tap and oil pressure stays around 50 psi hot idle. Its a really nice jeep and im trying take care of the engine so any feedback is appreciated.

i've heard of alot of folks using FL-400's on those, which crosses to **3600 in framland.

IThinkeither the 8 or 16 are just oversized versions(or the 3600 is an undersized)...
but i could be talking out of my backside as well.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
I thought it called for the XG16? Am i wrong or?

They are almost identical.

Thew XG8a is a little longer than the XG16.

Either is perfectly fine and good for well over 10,000 miles

Thank you. I have tried the FL400s but i didnt like not knowing exactly how much extra oil it holds. I decided to stick to the OE size. The Wix/Napa filters have been great but i want to try something new. I remember the days of the OCOD so i always thought negatively of Fram but it appears to me that Ultra may be special. I considered using the new Mobil AP filters but im thinking they are wayyy over-priced for the quality youre getting.

Originally Posted By: Volv04Life
Thats great to hear. Is the XG16 the right filter?
XG16 is the factory size, but for the same money, the XG8A is probably twice as much volume. If run for multiple OCIs or on a sludged engine, there's a lot more capacity. The XG3600 or MC FL-400S works well too.

The XG8A is huge and is what Fram uses to claim their highest holding capacity which is 32 grams! Even the XG3600 which is a pretty substantial filter only claims 13-15 grams.

Even if we say an engine produces 1 gram of contamination per 1,000 miles which is a conservatively high estimate the XG8A is good for 32,000 miles.

I would certainly use the XG8A if it fits since it costs about the same as the other filters but has way more holding capacity.

I use the XG8A in my XJ with the 4.0 no problems. I am going to keep it in for 2 oil changes maybe 3.

Last edited:
I've been using Fram filters for about 3 years now on my 4.0.

The ultra has been in service since mid October of 2016.

I use the XG8A on my Cherokee and it works great. Any extra volume is a good thing. I change it every other OCI but could easily go more if necessary.

I prefer Frams (Tough Guards mostly) on my 4.0, but my runner up is the FL-400s which is a great filter and fantastic value. The FL-400s is for all essential purposes the same in capacity at the OEM PH16 size, the can shapes are vastly different but that's about it.

Up sizing to a PH8A or equivalent (very common and I have done it many times) will only boost oil capacity by about 8 oz ( 1/4 qt ) but the amount of additional media is substantial.

Thanks for the info. I went the XG16 this round. I'll probly go with the 8A next time. Thanks for telling me the amount of extra oil it holds.

I'm jealous you have a 5 speed Cherokee and basically a brand new engine.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back