Fram ULTRA 3614 27,000 miles CUT OPEN

The old school fram tough guard, I haven't seen one of those in years. I run tough guards for 10k miles at two 5,000 mile oil changes in my mid 90's Camry V6, I probably get a fram ultra for my next oil change....Filter looks good for 27,000 miles.

The old school fram tough guard, I haven't seen one of those in years. I run tough guards for 10k miles at two 5,000 mile oil changes in my mid 90's Camry V6, I probably get a fram ultra for my next oil change....Filter looks good for 27,000 miles.
Unless it's in the clearly older package or the newer package that says "durable metal screen" the Ultra is not the same filter anymore, they cheaped them out, went to sticking one layer of glass over cellulose, instead of the 2 layers of glass over a metal screen backing.

The old school fram tough guard, I haven't seen one of those in years......
Yeah, Fram used to tout the screen over bypass on the TG. It was rather a unique feature and depending on opinion, it was either a good thing or not so much. Seems iirc at one point at least, the TG with screen was promoted for 'hard working trucks' or something like that. Then Fram quietly did away with the screen.

Be interesting to see if 53's TG has the screen. Seeing Allied Signal on it, it's got some age on it.

Yeah, Fram used to tout the screen over bypass on the TG. It was rather a unique feature and depending on opinion, it was either a good thing or not so much. Seems iirc at one point at least, the TG with screen was promoted for 'hard working trucks' or something like that. Then Fram quietly did away with the screen.

Be interesting to see if 53's TG has the screen. Seeing Allied Signal on it, it's got some age on it.
It should have the screen, I seem to remember him cutting open a NoS TG3600 with the white can an a similar date code and the Allied-Signal branding a year ago and it had the screen over the bypass.

I stand corrected, it was these exact filters, I think I was thinking that I went on eBay at the same time and found some listings of 3600s of the same vintage.

^^^^ Figured the AS TG likely had the screen, just wasn't 100% sure if TG was ever made without it. As noted earlier in this thread, I concluded similar about date code on 53's TGs. Thanks for links.

It does indeed have the screen over bypass. I cut one of the 12 rough guards open and posted it

Unless it's in the clearly older package or the newer package that says "durable metal screen" the Ultra is not the same filter anymore, they cheaped them out, went to sticking one layer of glass over cellulose, instead of the 2 layers of glass over a metal screen backing.
I'll definitely inspect the ultra before purchasing or buy another tough guard.

Back