Fram TG 9 months, 4k miles. Rust!

I live in IN; salt in winter is pretty much a given every year. I've run filters (including Fram TGs mostly) for up to three years on my Dmax, and not seen rust like this in such a short duration.

I'm not questioning the OPs sincerity or integrity; I'm just thinking that this is not "normal" rust development. Something must have accelerated this past the typical condition, and for the life of me I cannot fathom what it would be. Could have been environmental, material quality, product sabotage, etc ...

Never seen anything like that before.
OP, can you think of anything you did differently during this OCI than previous?
It could be as simple as you using degreaser to clean your tires/wheels and the spray getting on the filter.

Topic is not the only Fram anecdote with a rust in issue in a similar NE aggressive salt and sand environment. Noting it is a longer time/(miles) frame. Linked is an Ultra with a rust issue.

Here I'm sticking with the transition area between paint and grippy surface at starting/weak point. Paint and/or can thinness and salt under grip material in wet high salt and sand environment over a period of nine months. Which especially if the last included all/most winter time driving I wouldn't consider short. All or some those factors combined, could well explain the results, imo.

Had a FRAM Ultra XG7317 leak oil due to rust . Pictures included .

Topic is not the only Fram anecdote with a rust in issue in a similar NE aggressive salt and sand environment. Noting it is a longer time/(miles) frame. Linked is an Ultra with a rust issue.

Here I'm sticking with the transition area between paint and grippy surface at starting/weak point. Paint and/or can thinness and salt under grip material in wet high salt and sand environment over a period of nine months. Which especially if the last included all/most winter time driving I wouldn't consider short. All or some those factors combined, could well explain the results, imo.

Yes, the configuration of the engine puts the oil filter close to, or in the splash zone depending on conditions. The plastic splash covers are not doing much. Yes, 9 months was a long OCI and included some late winter salt. But here’s the thing. Both my Nissans have used that filter for the past 5 years and I’ve never seen rust before. And most troubling to me was the way that screwdriver pushed through the rusted area with minimal force. Some more pictures of the transition zone. I tried to scrape away some of the grip to see if it was painted underneath. I’m wondering if the grip paint is porous, holding moisture. Or if it’s something like when dissimilar metals touch each other.

Attachments

• 7E69E8F5-D6CD-4F46-85E4-640CBBB38687.jpeg
    7E69E8F5-D6CD-4F46-85E4-640CBBB38687.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 6ED7F26D-4A99-4D23-8E71-E5A769CE8417.jpeg
    6ED7F26D-4A99-4D23-8E71-E5A769CE8417.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 042FF839-65F8-474A-BF3E-3AB040D10441.jpeg
    042FF839-65F8-474A-BF3E-3AB040D10441.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 23
  • D2B99A4C-5173-4F05-B7D6-90A06DCD4AD0.jpeg
    D2B99A4C-5173-4F05-B7D6-90A06DCD4AD0.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 23
  • D89598A0-52D6-4F2E-BF91-01964CAEC829.jpeg
    D89598A0-52D6-4F2E-BF91-01964CAEC829.jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 26
  • 5C40CAC4-F7D6-4ABC-9C3D-5A7585CB0F96.jpeg
    5C40CAC4-F7D6-4ABC-9C3D-5A7585CB0F96.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 9F9BF336-4256-4EF2-AAFF-766E4201C06A.jpeg
    9F9BF336-4256-4EF2-AAFF-766E4201C06A.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 25
Yes, the configuration of the engine puts the oil filter close to, or in the splash zone depending on conditions. The plastic splash covers are not doing much. Yes, 9 months was a long OCI and included some late winter salt. But here’s the thing. Both my Nissans have used that filter for the past 5 years and I’ve never seen rust before. And most troubling to me was the way that screwdriver pushed through the rusted area with minimal force. Some more pictures of the transition zone. I tried to scrape away some of the grip to see if it was painted underneath. I’m wondering if the grip paint is porous, holding moisture. Or if it’s something like when dissimilar metals touch each other.
If you are so worried about what happened why dont you mail it into Fram for them to see it and maybe find out what really happened...You might even get some perks back from them for doing it.... Its worth a try...

Thanks for more pics. The worst rust really is right at the transition area of paint and grip coating. I don't see how it could be the "dissimilar metals" idea. Can metal would be all the same, and grip coating I would think just some kind of rubber 'type' material. I like your first, 'grip material holding salt moisture at that area' better. I going to speculate that the worst area was facing down towards the ground.

Maybe just a one off thing with a bad combination of factors mentioned in my last post. But if using a TG again, wouldn't/couldn't hurt to take a look at the filter occasionally during the oci.

I live in the salt belt here in NE ohio and I've never seen anything like that.
Has to be defective? Even the area by the gasket is rusty.

Not questioning the OP but in other peoples defense it does look like something that sat out in a yard for years.

I live in the salt belt here in NE ohio and I've never seen anything like that.
Has to be defective? Even the area by the gasket is rusty.

Not questioning the OP but in other peoples defense it does look like something that sat out in a yard for years.
To the old timers... We need Paul Harvey for... and now you know the rest of the story....Good Day..... :D

Thanks for more pics. The worst rust really is right at the transition area of paint and grip coating. I don't see how it could be the "dissimilar metals" idea. Can metal would be all the same, and grip coating I would think just some kind of rubber 'type' material. I like your first, 'grip material holding salt moisture at that area' better. I going to speculate that the worst area was facing down towards the ground.

Maybe just a one off thing with a bad combination of factors mentioned in my last post. But if using a TG again, wouldn't/couldn't hurt to take a look at the filter occasionally during the oci.
Yes it was primarily the side facing down. And spread approximately 50% around that transition to zone. Some rust spots in the grip coating on top. Walmart was out of 7317 so I went with a 6607 TG (shorter version). I don’t plan on changing the oil again in that car until the spring. I’ll keep an eye on it see what happens.

Yes it was primarily the side facing down. And spread approximately 50% around that transition to zone. Some rust spots in the grip coating on top. Walmart was out of 7317 so I went with a 6607 TG (shorter version). I don’t plan on changing the oil again in that car until the spring. I’ll keep an eye on it see what happens.
Like I said contact Fram and send the filter in.....cant hurt....or since you have taken a bunch of picture of the filter email the pictures to FRAM tech dept...

I just thought of something, was there any way that you were doing brakes on your car (replacing a caliper or something) and your hand had brake fluid on it when you tightened the filter? Something like that, either brake fluid or something else that could destroy the paint and rubber on that filter? The more I look at those pictures it’s almost like a paint thinner or something was accidentally applied to that surface.

Personally I would have freaked out if I had seen my filter come off like that after only 9 months. It would drive me crazy trying to figure out why.

Reactions: hrv
@LeakySeals Had this issue with Frams on my subies also. I used 7317TG and Ultras. They rust at that transition area pretty bad. I switched away from them to Premium Goard Select and never had a issue with rust for the past 18 months.

Didn't bother posting about it. All you get is flack and called a liar from people not used to the weather, salt up here in NH.

Switch to PG Select and you'll never have that issue again.

Nothing “dissimilar” about it-the Sure Grip is like a dip, the filter is dipped into it, and the painted section doesn’t extend far under the grip. Salt spray can get under there, and the Fram can material is on the thin side to begin with-and it is UNPAINTED steel underneath. A member sent me some Fram Defense filters recently, I cut the heavily shipping damaged one, the paint came off WITH MY HANDS! The salt resistance is very low on these.

I just thought of something, was there any way that you were doing brakes on your car (replacing a caliper or something) and your hand had brake fluid on it when you tightened the filter? Something like that, either brake fluid or something else that could destroy the paint and rubber on that filter? The more I look at those pictures it’s almost like a paint thinner or something was accidentally applied to that surface.

Personally I would have freaked out if I had seen my filter come off like that after only 9 months. It would drive me crazy trying to figure out why.
No brake jobs or cleaners during that OCI. No undercarriage car washes. Just mother nature.

@LeakySeals Had this issue with Frams on my subies also. I used 7317TG and Ultras. They rust at that transition area pretty bad. I switched away from them to Premium Goard Select and never had a issue with rust for the past 18 months.

Didn't bother posting about it. All you get is flack and called a liar from people not used to the weather, salt up here in NH.

Switch to PG Select and you'll never have that issue again.
Interesting your rust issue was also a 7317. I have the alternate shorter 6607 on there now. It’s going to spend the winter on that car. We’ll see what happens.

• Haha
Reactions: hrv
Back